Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis/ lump

Default Mastitis/ lump

I have a question I can not seem to find the answer for.
    How long should the lump from the clogged duct be present in your breast? I was diagnosed with mastitis 2 days ago and have been doing everything in my power to get this taken care of but I still have the lump. My son refuses almost 100% to nurse on that breast and is making up for it all on my opposite breast. I have been massaging, pumping, warm compresses, warm showers, warm baths, no bra, getting him latched but he wont nurse and i do this every single time he eats, i try switching him over once he is eating on the opposite and once he is finished and I still have the lump. I am on an antibiotic as well and my fever has gone down from 102, was hovering around 100 yesterday, and seems to be gone today. I feel tired still and a bit achy. My breast is just now getting sore, however not where the lump is. That has never been painful, never red, nothing.
    I also woke up this morning after my son slept for a 5 and a half hour stretch and found a much smaller and softer lump on the opposite breast which seems to be gone now that he nursed twice.
    I am at my wits end and am scared to return to my Dr today because they threatened I would be hospitalized if this didnt get taken care of.
    So after all the rambling my main concern is how long does the lump last? And what could be going on that I am having such a problem after he is sleeping for 5 and a half hrs at night. I believe this was what got us into this in the first place.. he loves to sleep and although I would wake him at night he would not eat much.
    Christine
    lots of for the cloth dipes!
    Sara Elizabeth 5.25.04 and Holden Joseph 10.18.07

Wife to Eddie. <3

Default Re: Mastitis/ lump

Christine,
    I can only comment from experience. I had mastitis last week and it took about 3-4 days for the lump(s) to go. But the pain, redness, fever etc was gone the day after starting antibiotics.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

hang in there! mastitis is hateful.

you are doing all the right things with the hot showers and warm compresses and trying to nurse. if you have a pump, i would suggest trying to pump that side if the LO isn't eating from it.

as for the lump, i've had a lump stay as long as 6 or 7 days (which had me pretty scared, too), but it did eventually go away. i actually saw a big fat gelatinous plug come out when i was pumping. also, it can get resorbed by the body, so long as the infection is cleared.

if the infection doesn't clear properly, the lump could represent an abscess that needs to be drained. those are usually red, hot, and painful, though, so you may be in the clear. in any case, don't be afraid to go to the doctor's if things don't get better. it is must safer to go see someone and get help than risk losing your supply!

HTH

thank you for your replies. i did have a check up yesterday where i felt argumentative because the pa that i saw said it was gone, which its not gone its just not the hard knot it was, its much softer and more spread outish? if that makes sense.
    my only problem now is my son is still refusing the breast and is not getting enough from my left during his 2 hr nursing stretch in the evening. i actually had to resort to a bottle of pumped milk during this time last night and was terrified. thankfully he is doing fine with my left breast even after the bottle.
    Christine
    lots of for the cloth dipes!
    Sara Elizabeth 5.25.04 and Holden Joseph 10.18.07

Wife to Eddie. <3

i would stick Will on the lumpy side when he was asleep and less prone to object.

Putting him on that side when he's drowsy is definitely a good thing to try, as the PP suggested. Sometimes the milk can taste saltier after it's been sitting around in the ducts. You might also need to pump a time or two to get the salty stuff moved through there.

HTH
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!