Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: porridge made with water??

Default porridge made with water??

Hello,
    my baby is now seven months old, and is about a month into her solids-eating career. She's doing well, and enjoys a "tree" of brocolli or a rice cake, and positively woolfs mashed potato. But I have a bit of a problem when it comes to breakfast.
    According to guidelines, I'm not giving her wheat just yet, or citrus, tomatoes- all the possible allergenic stuff. I'd like to give her porridge (I think it's the same as "oatmeal"), but what to make it with is an issue. Once or twice I've managed to express milk to make some porridge with, which would be ideal if I could do it more often, but I have school runs to consider, and still "wear" my baby most of the time (you can't pump milk when you've a baby strapped to your chest!); and if I do get a chance to pump, if I have very recently fed the baby, then I get NOTHING out. So my preferred option doesn't really work. I've tried making it with water, but she doesn't eat it. I tried it, and I don't blame her- I wouldn't eat it either. I am qhite determined that this child will never have infant formula pass her lips, but my OH thinks we should get some just for making her porridge. I can see where he's coming from. I'm really trying to avoid ordinary cow's milk because I have Crohn's, and pasrurised milk in the UK is no heated enough to kill off the organism implicated in it- we'll move on to that when she's a little older.
    So most days, in the chaos of getting ready for school and so on, I don't express, and she just doesn't get anything- but I have noticed very recently that she actually seeks out paper to eat, and although I breastfeed her plenty, I think she is looking for more. What else could I do for a really fast and convenient breakfast that has no wheat or dairy... or should I just get the dreaded formula so she can enjoy some porridge?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Trixie's Mum

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: porridge made with water??

How about mixing a little purreed fruit in as well as the water. I would avoid formula too for the obvious reasons, but also I've heard it tastes horrid.

My DS is about the same age and doing BLW but he only has lunch. And he likes eating paper too!

I make oatmeal with water and freeze it in cubes....
    He loves it with banana and avocado, or with applesauce or pearsauce. I think cereals were not made to give by themselves!! (They taste like aguhuh)...but mixed in with fruit it´s really good....I also mix it with pumpkins and carrots...
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

I also love
    Tried to

Yes, I'd thought of pureed fruit, but am MOSTLY doing BLW in the hope of avoiding pureeing loads of stuff. It's a good idea- strict BLW is simply too slow at breakfast time anyway!
    Or maybe I should just let her get on with the paper!!

Born 23 March '07 8lb 6oz; now almost 12lb, I think, but so cute and perfectly formed, I can't imagine her any other way!

Hi, I agree with Jack'sMum ....Scotts porridge oats are fantastic with just water..then add some fruit puree for sweetness.