Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding and formula, good or bad?

Default Breastfeeding and formula, good or bad?

Hi girls!
    This is my problem: I am trying to give up formula, and go breastfeeding, but all the time I am afreid that he is hungry, that he will lost weight, ctr..
    When I breastfeed him, that takes forever, and yesterday after a bath, I give him formula and even he was all day on breast, he drinked all!
    What sould I do? I don't want him to lost his weight, but I also want him to be breastfeeded only!
    Please help me!
    Thanks in advance

Default Re: Breastfeeding and formula, good or bad?

Of course he would drink it all the formula! He doesn't have to work at it at all to get it! I know if someone put lets say, a beer funnel in my mouth and let it rip, I would have to drink the beer or it would go all over the place (not like I have ever used one. ).

I pumped for 3 weeks at the start and gave him the EBM because I thought he would lose weight and they would take him away from me! Then I was like this is too much hassle! All you have to do is just watch his diaper output. If he has 6+ wet diapers and a few poopie unless you are to the stage he doesn't poop that often, then everything is fine!

And you are hurting your supply by letting your LO get formula, breastfeeding is a supply and demand issue. So your breasts will not make enough milk for your LO if you are giving formula after a feeding. You just have to rough it out and not give formula if thats what you want to do is give it up! Just watch his diaper output for a day and then you'll see that you are doing a great job!

I'm breastfeeding only and he hasn't lost any weight at all! But you will never know that he is going to grow just fine on your breastmilk unless you take out the formula.

Good luck!

I have never done this but you want to replace the ff with bf right? IMHO Maybe try to bf lo before he/she gets very hungry and you may be able to hold lo off for 30mins or longer then bf again. This would start off time consuming but your supply should go up and lo will get more and shouldn't need to nurse as much. If lo wants more, ff just a little in a bottle at a time while you pump. You can add to the bottle if you need to but it is hard to take it back. Each time you feel you need to ff try to give less. These are just some ideas I hope you found something you can use. Good luck.

Hi. Welcome.
    The truth is, you need to lose the formula. As the PP said, watch diaper out put. The problem with supplementing is that it affects supply and demand especially in the beginning. In the 1st 6-8weeks the baby NEEDS to be at the breast constantly to establish supply. It is completely NORMAL for an exclusively breastfeeding mother to spend the 1st 6-8weeks just feeding and changing diapers. Seriously. Most of us set up a nursing station in the house and LIVED there. There were days where I didn't get out of my PJ's. Alot of them. And the house didn't get cleaned. You need to be OK with that. Feeding the baby is by far the most important job you have right now.
    Feeding formula throws off the signals that a newborn would be sending to your breast every 1-3hours. 1st, any meal given that is formula is a missed signal to make milk. 2nd, the time it take little ones to digest formula is longer so instead of getting the next signal to make milk in an 1-3hours your baby won't want to nurse again for probably 4hours. So even just ONE serving a formula a day hits your supply TWICE. And every time you do it it hits your supply twice. EVEN if you only "Top off". Because in reality your body needs to know exactly how long your baby really needs to eat to be full. And you interfere with that by supplementing.
    Do not mistake the length of time between feeds with formula as a good thing or that it is because your child is more satisfied. That is not the case. Formula takes longer to digest because it is HARDER to digest and they do not absorb nearly as much of it. Breast milk needs to be fed more often because they absorb so much of it so quickly into their developing tissues.
    Lose the formula. You can do this. Your breast were made specifically made to feed your child. Trust your body. Trust your baby. Breastfeeding is round the clock work. No doubt about it. But it's what we were made to do. The house work will wait. Your DH can bring home take out. Feed the baby.
    Good luck to you.

Way too lazy for formula

I second DJ's Mom's suggestions. Trust your body. The more you breastfeed, the more your baby will be apt to take it from the breast. Formula is a slippery slope--once you introduce it, you trust in your body less.

You might consider a "nurse in", where you take baby to bed with you for a day or two and just nurse, nurse, nurse. Let someone else prepare the meals, and take care of the other stuff in the house for a few days.

Good luck!

Hi,
    while I agree with the posters I do want to point out that we don't know how much you are supplementing, and if it is substantial, weaning off the formula is possibly a better idea than abruptly changing things. The most important thing is to feed your baby. By reducing the amount you supplement with gradually, you will allow your breasts to catch up in milk production. Have you called your local La Leche League Leader? The help and support is free of cost, and will help to alleviate some of your fears.
    Make sure you are supping with a bottle that has a slow flow tip on it, so you make your baby work harder for the formula; breastfeeding isn't easy. Some babies really enjoy sucking, and it relaxes them. It can make it seem like they are starving, when really all they want to do is suck on the best thing on earth. Mama!

Kako Se...

Ok That's the only Macedonian I know. My best friend is Macedonian and I noticed you were from Skopje. Actually, I was in Macedonia, about 10 years ago...

You definitely need to lose the formula and just allow that baby to nurse, on demand, whenever he wants to. Count diapers, nurse on demand and be positive! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Ruzica View Post
    Hi girls!
    This is my problem: I am trying to give up formula, and go breastfeeding, but all the time I am afreid that he is hungry, that he will lost weight, ctr..
    When I breastfeed him, that takes forever, and yesterday after a bath, I give him formula and even he was all day on breast, he drinked all!
    What sould I do? I don't want him to lost his weight, but I also want him to be breastfeeded only!
    Please help me!
    Thanks in advance
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!