Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting 6 1/2 mo from bottle to breast?

Default Getting 6 1/2 mo from bottle to breast?

Ok. I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but I have a question about getting a bottle fed baby back on the boob.

My LO is 6 1/2 mo old and I've been EPing. I've had to supplement all along and my supply isn't great. About a week ago my LO and I were laying on the bed and he started to root at my chest. So I stripped down to the waist and tried offering a breast. He latched and took a few sucks!!! I was shocked in a very happy way, but now I'm wanting to pursue this and try to get him to my breast or if anything get him to comfort suck so hopefully my supply will increase. Unfortunately he hasn't latched since. I've been trying the usual advise, skin to skin, etc. I've tried a nipple shield, he thinks it's a toy to bite on! I've ordered an SNS to see if I can lure him with an easy flow of milk. My son seems to still have the instinct that the boob is where he should be, but he doesn't latch (I think because he has no idea there's food in my breasts, if that makes any sense). I express milk and put his mouth to my breast, he opens wide around my areola as if he is going to latch, but then pulls away as if he doesn't know what to do. Any suggestions on how to teach him to latch. He's doing everything right, he just isn't latching!

As far as teaching him about sucking to get a let down, I was thinking of introducing him to the breastflow bottles that First Years makes. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!

Default Re: Getting 6 1/2 mo from bottle to breast?

I don't have any advice but I want to be subscribed to this thread since I am in the same boat as you!! I'd love to see what others have to say.

Smile Re: Getting 6 1/2 mo from bottle to breast?

You might find some of this info helpful

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html