Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: anyone heard of this before?

Default anyone heard of this before?

Is it possible for your milk to dry up when you are still breastfeeding? I have a 1 month old and everything was going fine for the first 2 weeks. Then my one nipple cracked REALLY badly....to the point where i couldnt feed her off it or pump off it. So i started supplimenting formula and just feeding her off the other side. A few days after it healed i stopped supplimenting and started feeding her on both sides again. She didnt latch the same. So i bought a breast guard and continued to feed her on demand (about every 2-3 hours). That worked for a couple days then she started gettting really fussy again and wanting to eat every 45 min to an hour. So pumped to see how much milk i was producing and both sides were almost completly empty. I have no idea what happend.........

Default Re: anyone heard of this before?

It's very possible that your body just doesn't respond well to a pump. If your baby is having enough wet and poopy diapers per day and she seems satisfied after feedings, it's more than likely she's getting enough milk.
    Eating every 45 min. - an hour is usually indicative of a growth spurt, or it could be that she is just needing to eat more often because she feels like it. :P Let her eat as often and for as long as she wants.
    Supplementing with formula or even a BM stash will lower your supply because it tells your body that you don't need to produce that milk. Putting her to the breast as often as possible should get your supply exactly where it needs to be.

If she is currently eating from both breasts, having the normal wet/poo diaper count and seeming "milk drunk" after feedings, I don't see anything wrong at all with the situation you've described.

Default Re: anyone heard of this before?

Some of the things you mention can reduce your milk supply. A cracked nipple can indicate a bad latch, and a bad latch can lead to reduced milk transfer, which can lead to lower supply. Pumping is not a stimulating to the breast as nursing is, so that can reduce your milk supply, too. Several days of supplementing with bottles can change the baby's suckling technique to lead to reduced milk transfer. Using a breast gaurd or nipple shield without the guidance of a lactation consultant can also lead to reduced stimulation and reduced supply. But don't panic- just because these things CAN happen doesn't mean that they DID happen. If your baby is having enough wet/poopy diapers and seems satisfied after feedings, as the PP mentioned, there's probably nothing to worry about.

I suggest going to see a lactation consultant, preferrably an IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) immediately. She will be able to figure out if you really have a problem, and help you through it if you do. It may seem a little pricey, but trust me: a few sessions with a LC will be cheaper in the long run than a year's worth of formula! And please don't worry- if you have low supply, there is definitely a way back. I had low supply and horrible cracks that lasted for 4.5 months, and I came back from the brink of going to formula, and I'm still nursing my 20 month-old daughter.

Hang in there!