Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too much solid?

Default Too much solid?

So DS used to wake up 3-5x at night to nurse (most nights 5 times). So I have figured out recently that he's a reverse cycler and I have stopped trying to force him to take EBM more than he would. So instead of the usual 13oz during the day, he's now taking 7oz. I think I would be happy with the 7oz plus the 5 nursing sessions during the night - should be enough BM I think.

However, lately he has been getting up less during the night, maybe 3-4x and nurses only for short period 2min-3min. With the decreased amt of BM during the day he should be taking in more/longer at night but this is not happening! lo

So Im thinking maybe he's getting too much solid? Ive discovered that he loves rice and I have been feeding him that for lunch and dinner (we're asians so we eat alot of rice) apart from the fruits, yogurt in between. Maybe rice is making him super full? He gets about 12-15oz of solids a day. Is this too much? Should I maybe give him lighter dinner? Advise? Suggestions? Thanks!

He's 10mo by the way.

Default Re: Too much solid?

You poor thing - can't catch a break can you
    I think the 12-15 oz seems like a lot on first thought. ...hmmm

He doesn't nurse during the day right?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

No he doesnt nurse during the day, he's the only man I know who would say no to my breasts . So only that average 7oz EBM during the day.. His diaper count had reduced also

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    You poor thing - can't catch a break can you
    Obliviously not.. Im starting to believe God is punishing me for something..
    Last edited by selina21; October 31st, 2007 at 12:07 AM.

Selina, we r having same problem here he nurses for 2 mins max and even though i offer the breast alot he is not interested he has maybe 3 soaked diapers in 24 hrs
    Mom to Wayne since 02.24.2007
    AND
    Keeran 07.19.2010

My kids are my life!

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them - Desmond Tutu

Quote Originally Posted by Momofpreciousson View Post
    Selina, we r having same problem here he nurses for 2 mins max and even though i offer the breast alot he is not interested he has maybe 3 soaked diapers in 24 hrs
    Is Wayne still having a cold? DS had a cold last week and was only taking 3-4oz of milk during the day. Apparently the mucus had gone down to his tummy and was upsetting him.

He is better now. I am using Ocean Spray to unblock his nose as he is still young to blow his nose (or let me doing it) He wasnt nursing at all and even though I offered formula (as i was soo sick too to even have the energy to express) he was refusing the bottle. He is nursing now although not much and my supply has gone wayyy down. I am counting his diapers and unlike before he does not have much soaked diapers. Hope he gets better and your lo too
    Mom to Wayne since 02.24.2007
    AND
    Keeran 07.19.2010

My kids are my life!

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them - Desmond Tutu

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

It does sound like a lot of solids. maybe he's so full he hasn't room for BM. Also rice is good against diarrhea (sp) so might make him a bit bunged up.

I would try reducing the amunt of solids and hopefully he'll increase milk.

Milk is more important than solids for the first year. I read that it should be about 25% solids, 75% milk. Sounds like his is more 50/50.

Quote Originally Posted by Momofpreciousson View Post
    He is better now. I am using Ocean Spray to unblock his nose as he is still young to blow his nose (or let me doing it) He wasnt nursing at all and even though I offered formula (as i was soo sick too to even have the energy to express) he was refusing the bottle. He is nursing now although not much and my supply has gone wayyy down. I am counting his diapers and unlike before he does not have much soaked diapers. Hope he gets better and your lo too
    Take oatmeals! It has worked really well in boosting my supply. Good luck and hope little Wayne gets well soon..

Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sMum View Post
    It does sound like a lot of solids. maybe he's so full he hasn't room for BM. Also rice is good against diarrhea (sp) so might make him a bit bunged up.

I would try reducing the amunt of solids and hopefully he'll increase milk.
    I guess you are right. I think I will cut out the rice dinner from the menu, and give him something light instead, see how that goes. Tonight he's having fever, and had totally refused to have any dinner. My baby's first fever..