Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How can this be

Default How can this be

Kayleigh has been really ill since Friday and she hasn't been eating much but at the last 3 doctor visits it has shown she's been gaining weight. I am glad she is gaining finally but I don't understand how she is gaining weight when she's not eating much. She comfort nurses majority of the times and she's had no formula. I figured with her being so sick and not eating much she wouldn't be gaining. Her pediatrcian got mad at me when I told her i stopped giving Kayleigh formula and if she's gaining then why should it matter now if she is or isn't on formula? How can she be gaining weight when she's not eating much?

Default Re: How can this be

Does it really matter?? she's gaining and thats great... ever hear the saying 'don't look a gift horse in the mouth'

Sorry she's been sicky.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

It is just weird how when she was feeling fine she wasn't gaining anything and now that she's really sick she's gaining.

I agree... it is bizarre
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

So she's gaining weight?? Yaay!!

Maybe it's your love and devotion that's fattening her up? Maybe she wants to give mama a break? Maybe God is just kind to those who are patient.. . I dont know but Im just happy she's gaining

Get well soon Kayleigh!
    Last edited by selina21; October 31st, 2007 at 12:39 AM.

One thing that comes to my mind is since she is sick she may not be moving hence losing calories as much. Also I think they get some milk when they are comfort nursing too because sometimes my son comfort nurses all night and in the morning his diaper weighs a ton.

She gained 6oz in 3 weeks and even the Dr. was shocked considering she's been so sick. I would let her nurse for as long as she wanted, so it was doing something. Just odd thats all. Today she's hardly nursed at all but she's still not feeling well. Maybe for a while she just wasn't getting enough of the hindmilk
    She's not crawling or anything, so she's not really mobile yet. She rolls around a lot but thats about it.