Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neat little tip

Default Re: Neat little tip

Good idea! Haley loves fruits, but they do get awfully slippery. So far she hasn't been a fan of the mesh feeders. I'll have to try this!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

jaamommy is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

So glad I seen this thread, dd has had a hard time with bananas too. And, earlier tonight I gave her some of the spaghetti we had for dinner and she couldn't pick it up because it was too slippery

Thanks for the tip I've had some infant cereal in the fridge that I stopped trying to give her so now it will come in use again

Great tip, I'll try it tomorrow!

what a good idea... as pp said, I'm glad I've run into this post!
    I have 2 questions though: have your LO had cereals before you coated fruits with it? (I think the answer is yes, just double-checking...)
    second question (english being not my mothertoungue and not living in an english speaking country): what are mesh feeders?

thanks again for sharing the tip anyway!
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

Quote Originally Posted by panzona View Post
    what a good idea... as pp said, I'm glad I've run into this post!
    I have 2 questions though: have your LO had cereals before you coated fruits with it? (I think the answer is yes, just double-checking...)
    second question (english being not my mothertoungue and not living in an english speaking country): what are mesh feeders?

thanks again for sharing the tip anyway!
    Yes, LO had been eating cereals for some time so using it as a coating I felt safe there would be no reaction. I read somewhere wheat germ can be used for same purpose, but caution as wheat can be an allergen so be sure it is an older baby if you try that one. Rice cereal is pretty harmless and is a good first cereal.

Mesh feeders are these little tiny cloth bags on a plastic handle (looks almost like a miniature of what you would wash your lingerie in) that allow baby to hold and suck on a slippery piece of fruit and get the food without risk of sucking the whole thing into the mouth and choking.

No problem. Your English is just fine!

I tried it and Wow - it worked so great! Thanks!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

What great idea! We have that problem, especially with banana, avocado and kiwi!

Where do you all get the avacado? Is it good for the baby? I've seen some at Wal-Mart but they don't seem too ripe. And if I were to feed him avacado, how would i prepare it?

Ripen at room temp until soft to the touch. Slice in half, take out large pit, and sever the flesh from the skin. It almost scoops right out. You can slice and dice it or puree it. It mashes up really easily. It can be frozen in bits or as a mash. If you keep it in fridge in a container, put a tad bit of lemon juice on it to keep it from turning color. Avocado is very rich in vitamin E and healthy fats. Good for baby, and recommended as one of the first foods to try.

Quote Originally Posted by mylittleredhead07 View Post

Mesh feeders are these little tiny cloth bags on a plastic handle (looks almost like a miniature of what you would wash your lingerie in) that allow baby to hold and suck on a slippery piece of fruit and get the food without risk of sucking the whole thing into the mouth and choking.
    thank you for your reply (sorry not to thank earlier, but I had people - well, my father - grinding walls and painting my working room and had the computer wrapped up to protect it from dust - a lot of it, I tell you). DH was in the US these past days so I COMMANDED him to buy a mesh feeder and one of those table mats with a small tray to collect the food (or most of it) before it flies down to the floor... he was back home yesterday and obediently brought back the preys
    I'm going to try both in the next days!
    My parents were here visiting while DH was away (never thought I would welcome my mother that often in my house before i had DS ) and were amazed by the mesh feeder, what with "In our days things like this were 'astronauts' tools"
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...