Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how often do you breastfeed?

Default how often do you breastfeed?

My daughter just turned 7 months old and nurses every 4 hours now and is getting in 5 sessions a day with maybe 1 whole container of solids is this enough? or maybe too much?

Default Re: how often do you breastfeed?

My daughter is almost 9 months old. SHe nurses about 5-6 times a day and eats lots of solids. She gets 3 meals of solids a day. I give her usually what we are eating minus salt/sugar/spices/etc... For breakfast seh gets a blueberry eggo waffle. She sometimes gets a thing of yobaby yogurt with oatmeal and LOVES that. I would think your gal might need more solids that just one jar. At 7 months my gal was getting 2-3 meals of solids a day. Hope that helps!

Rachel
    Proud wife to Pete, 5-9-04
    Proud 1st time mom to Lilly 2-1-07 born at 36 weeks, 5lbs 1 oz, au natural!

http://www.lillybugdesigns.com
    Handmade accessories for mom and baby
    All made with love, and by hand[/COLOR]

My ds is 5 months and so I've been reading a lot about introducing solids (you know there's a forum just for that here too? That might give good tips too). I don't know if there's really an "enough" solids at 7 months, because until 1 year their primary nutrition comes from your milk and for the first few months of solids its just experimenting, learning about tastes & textures and social eating with the family. What I've read about babyled solids is all about letting them set the pace, and to relax and see the first couple months as learning. Hope that helps some, you could offer more solids and see if its wanted
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

oh and my ds eats about 7 times a day - but no solids yet. According to what he gets from bottled bm, he averages 3 - 5 oz. per feeding
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

A little over 7 mos - usually 3 meals a day (stage two jar), nursing 5-6 times a day

At 7 months breastmilk should be the the primary source of nutrition (and should be until 12 months or even longer). There really is no "need" for more solids. And comparing how often your babe nurses to other babes won't give you an idea of how much your babe is actually getting. My dd nursed every 2 hours, around the clock, but never took in more than 3 or 4 ounces and probably took in more like 2. Yours might take in way more than that, but at fewer sessions, kwim?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

My 9.5 month old still nurses around every 2 hours. He gets around 2 meals of solids a day. If I am out and it is easy to feed him I just nurse. If I can get him something healthy then I will do solids. I don't really worry much about the solids because for the first 12 months breastmilk should be what they get mostly. I still nurse prior to solids as well.

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    At 7 months breastmilk should be the the primary source of nutrition (and should be until 12 months or even longer). There really is no "need" for more solids. And comparing how often your babe nurses to other babes won't give you an idea of how much your babe is actually getting. My dd nursed every 2 hours, around the clock, but never took in more than 3 or 4 ounces and probably took in more like 2. Yours might take in way more than that, but at fewer sessions, kwim?

My DS is a different story, he doesnt drink so much BM but prefers solids instead, so I have to make sure that he gets a lot of solids packed with protein and fat for his growth. He only BF during the night between 3-5x at and I give him 2-3bottles of EBM at 2-3oz per bottle.

But since you have no problem with BF your LO, my suggestion is to watch the diaper output.

See also: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html