Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: letdown

Default letdown

My sweet Mae, who is 5 1/2 months old, has just started cereal, and absolutely loves it. I mix it with breastmilk. I have so.thoroughly.enjoyed breastfeeding this past 5 1/2 months. She is with a babysitter three days a week (t/w/th) and breastfeeds exclusively Friday through Monday. My question is that recently, she has been getting extremely agitated with the amount of time that it takes for my milk to letdown. I try not to watch the clock, but sometimes it feels like 2 minutes is forever! (1-2 mins I guess). I assume it's bottle confusion; she's not getting the immediate reinforcement of that stinking bottle... lol.
    Is there anything I can do to speed up letdown? Tonight I had to resort to the pump to consistently suck to get letdown! I cried for a half hour afterwards, not wanting this to end. Any advice? THank you from a devoted and lovin-nursin-mommy in ATL,

Default Re: letdown

My son gets impatient too. I have learned that I have to be patient. He pulls of when the milk is not there thrashed around then sucks again. This goes on for a while. If I just let him have his fit he eventually will get the milk and then he is happy. Its always worse when we let it stress us out. If we stay calm baby will sense that. If she is hungry she will keep trying til it comes.

Nipple stimulation!

Seriously, I found out accidentally one day while applying some Lansinoh.
    I started to let down when applying so on a few occassions when my supply has been a little low or let down has been slow, I've tried the self nip stimulation and it seems to work...not all of the time but most of the time.

hth

Boy, I know how you feel. My LO and I had a terrible time in the beginning. My letdown was extremely slow, so much so that I was convinced I had a supply problem before I talked to a LLL leader. If your problem persists, try taking some fenugreek seed in capsule form. It worked absolute wonders for us. Mother's Milk tea is also really good, it has both fennel and fenugreek along with a few other herbs.
    Best of luck

I just wanted to say HI and I live in ATL too! (actually Cumming we moved recently)

Fenugreek does work for milk supply if that is the cause of your letdown being slow. Also use those deep breaths they taught you in childbirth class when you're nursing. If you can relax the letdown happens faster!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

My son went on a little nursing strike when my hubby started giving him bottled bm 2 days a week. Turned out he liked the flow of those bottles much better, they were faster than me, and so when I came along he got annoyed and refused. This was with the Medela bottles. So we switched to Avent ones that are slow flowing, it takes like 40 minutes for a feeding, but sure enough - he likes nursing again. So maybe switch the bottles, he could like them too much
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!