Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipples too big?

Default Nipples too big?

** I didn't know where to post this so I stuck it here. Mods feel free to move it.

So here's my question and the situation surrounding it...

Ok My SIL has a new baby and she said she tried to BF but was told by her LC that her nipples were too big. She was having a hard time ... she said she had mastitis twice and she couldn't get a good latch.

So can you have nipples that are too big to breastfeed?

Default Re: Nipples too big?

My aunt BF her 3 children and her nipples were huge. My friend's sister had preemies twins and my friend told she couldn't BF b/c she would suffocate the babies. I don't know what truth this hold, it might pose a challenge but I sure don't see this as a reason not to BF

I'm just sad for her that her LC gave her some silly excuse to help justify her quitting BF and didn't try to hand hold her through the tough part.

If the baby's mouth was very small and mom's nipples were very large, it could well contribute to problems in the early days -- especially if baby had other things going on like drugs during the birth or deep suctioning after. Like other factors, large nipples shouldn't pose an insurmountable obstacle.

As to the LC's statement ... well, first of all, you weren't there to hear the conversation. Sometimes mothers remember things differently, or they hear only what they are capable of hearing at that time. Another possibility is that the LC might not have really been qualified -- if she doesn't have the IBCLC credential after her name, she could be anybody hanging out a shingle. There is no requirement that hospitals hire IBCLCs for their lactation staff, for example.

Yet another possibility -- and rather a common scenario, I'm afraid, is that the LC may have been quite good, but far too overworked. I hear from friends who work as hospital IBCLCs that they have to "triage," spending minimal time with some clients in order to have enough time and energy to spend with the moms who are very committed but really struggling. If a mom makes it clear that she is mostly looking for an excuse to wean, then an IBCLC may feel the kindest thing is to help her feel at least a little better about doing so.

BUT...If what your looking for is examples to give her in the opposite direction, I'm here for you! One of my hangups about breastfeeding was that my breasts were going to transform into something not so pretty. It seemed to me that everythime I had known someone in my life who had done it I had seen their nipples change before my very eyes into something resembling an eraser. And Having extremely large breasts to begin with before giving birth (36DD) I too had heard stories of suffocation and was worried about that as well. Well my nipples which used to be very small in comparison to the rest of my breast did in fact grow. Ariolas grew from about the size of a silver dollar to about the size of a bangle bracelet! The nipples did in fact go from a little nubbin of a thing into something long resembling the eraser at the end of a pencil and my breasts moved into the catagory of 38E. I have pictures of my son breastfeeding in those first weeks that are quite comical! They are literally twice as big as he was when he 1st got here. As far as I can tell it all worked out the way mother nature intended. The ariolas needed to be bigger and (darker) so he could see them when he couldn't see too well, the nipple needed to be longer so he could get a good latch and as far as suffocationg I believe when I went to a breastfeeding class we were told babies noses are the way when they are born specifically so they don't suffocate! He hasn't. So encourage her to get a 2nd opinion. And encourage her to try! It can be quite intimidating. I had several friends tell me before my son was born that breastfeeding was "harder than giving birth" no joke. I was very nervous about it. And I was planning on being done by the six month point. We hit that point next week and he's still EBF and as I have become an attached parent I don't know where the end will be. And being worried about what my breasts were going to look like seems like a ridiculous concern especially considering the godess like powers they've given me to sustain another human being. So you can site my nipples as an example. Just be encouraging. If you've done it than you know. Struggles or not it stands to be one of the most empowering decisions she will make.

DJ's mom--you sound like me. I'm 42 DD before getting pg--when my milk came in w/DS, I had to buy a 42 G to get a bra that fit. The least of my son's problems involved the size of my breasts. He had much larger problems w/BF (obviously not literally!)

The funny thing was that when I gave up on BF son at 3 weeks, due to lack of education and being totally overwhelmed--my husband had 2 comments. Neither at the time was funny--but they make me giggle now--
    1--How on earth with boobs that big could you possibly not have enough milk?
    2--Can we keep those? (we? He wasn't the one carrying them around--absolutely not!!)

I actually went down to a C cup for a short period of time after I stopped BF him and my breasts look exactly now like they did before I attempted to BF him. I'm about to have DD, and will BF her for 12 months, maybe longer. Not succeeding is not an option!
    Krista

Yes I've heard of the breasts getting smaller after it's over....I dream of c cup breasts. That was like eighth grade!! It's nice to hear that yours "bounced back"
    Since I now spend over half my time in a nightgown and grandma underwear, having a nice body again seems like something of little importance. But good luck to you with your DD. Everyone who I know who gave up did it becaue they either didn't have help.education or support. It make a huge difference to get those things ahead of time and be comtted beforehand. I'm sure you'll do great.

Yes I've heard of the breasts getting smaller after it's over
    With my first baby my breasts when from a full B to barely and A. Very depressing!. With my second one I'm a full B again, although I'm not done BF.