Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When do I pump?

Default When do I pump?

After two weeks of BF and supplementing with formula because it didn't seem like I could keep up with my baby's needs (thought I might have low supply) my baby has gone almost 48 hours on JUST breast milk! Yay!
    (Thanks LLL gals for talking me into going cold turkey from the formula! It wasn't so bad after all and apparently I don't have a low supply issue!)

Question is...when do I pump? I am anticipating the need to leave hubby with baby for a few hours in a couple of days and am not quite sure when to pump the milk (don't want to starve baby). Do I try to pump right after I feed? If I wait an hour after, will I empty my breasts too much and not have enough milk to satisfy baby when she wants to feed again?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Melanie

Default Re: When do I pump?

It is best to pump right after you nurse. Adding a pumping session will increase your milk supply, and is tough to keep up with. Pumping right after nursing will keep your supply and demand right in tune with what your LO is demanding right now. HTH!
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

I agree good luck!
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Personally, the only time I could get anything when I pumped was in the morning. I'd either get up before my DD and pump and then have her finish them when she woke up or I'd just have her nurse off of one side while I was pumping the other side and then have her finish the side I'd just pumped. All I have is the manual Avent one though so I could never get much anyways. I'd be lucky to get an ounce out of each side. Good luck and Congrats on sticking with it and giving your baby the best!
    ~Proud AP Mama To Natalie Ann *7/9/06* & Isabella Faith *7/6/09*~

I found it hard to extract much more after BabyPeter just finished breastfeeding, so I'd try in the morning (when there was usually more milk - which I could tell by the fullness of my breasts) or at night after he was in bed when I thought I felt a let-down.

I had to go to a wedding last weekend, and got the chance for an overnight babysitter at the last minute! I pumped over 20 ozs as fast as I could in 2 days (funny, I was pumping in the car on the way! haha). I did whatever I could to unsure my LO had enough milk. After we reunited, it only took a couple feedings on each side to feel completely back to normal.

PS. When you go out for longer periods of time, bring your pump with you. I don't know what I would have done without it late that night or the next morning (so engorged!)

First, good job on going formula free!!!

I did two things to build up a supply of milk in the freezer. I used to pump after night time feeding sessions, especially those time when I still felt a little full after my LO nursed. What worked even better was, once my LO was sleeping for 5 or 6 hours straight at night, I'd pump an hour or two after he'd gone to sleep for the night.

i get more in the morning even after she nurses and at night before i go to bed