Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you wean when your LO hasn't ever drank ebm from a cup or bottle?

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default How did you wean when your LO hasn't ever drank ebm from a cup or bottle?

I have a LO who's 8.5 months old who has always nursed from me, and has had some solids. I work from home. She's never drank expressed breast milk from a bottle or cup.

My goal is to wean by a year or so b/c of work (I've been delaying all business trips until she turns 1 yr), but I'm terrified that my LO will not be weaned by then and will not take expressed milk from a cup by then.

What should I do to prepare for this? Do I need to start giving her more solids soon? Do I need to let her practice drinking expressed milk from a cup more often? Thoughts?

Default Re: How did you wean when your LO hasn't ever drank ebm from a cup or bottle?

I wish I had some advice, my LO refuses EBM all together. I just wanted to offer hugs and support- I hope someone has some great advice!

Default Re: How did you wean when your LO hasn't ever drank ebm from a cup or bottle?

We introduced a sippy... she mostly played with it, and never really drank from it in the past. This weekend we really started trying to get her to drink from it, and she is!! I'm amazed! She drinks 3 sippy cups a day now. We use the Nuby brand, she likes them best. They have a soft rubber spout; she also likes the Nuby straw sippy. Since we are trying to wean her a little more, she is definitely picking up her "sippy" intake, and also her solids, which again, amazes me.

Your DD will learn how to take EBM, just give her time. HTH

we introduced a sippy cup as a plaything pretty early, to get DS used to it. i'm not sure exactly how it happened, but we kept offering liquids to him in the cup, and he started drinking from it. magic! the cup was never a substitute for the breast, but instead an addition, if you know what i mean. i never gave him a cup when he asked for the breast, i just gave him the cup at mealtimes.
    you might've already considered this, but if your business trips are short enough you might not have to wean. many moms go down to one or two feedings a day around 12 months, so you'd only have to pump a little. just a thought!
    Jean
    proud mama to ds, born 8/3/06, 11 lbs 14 oz, 24", now 35 lbs, 35", self-weaned at 20 months
    expecting baby boy #2 on 7/21/08, hoping for a VBAC

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

OK, so it sounds like just continue to introduce liquids in a sippy cup and one day she may magically take from it.

Quote Originally Posted by notthenanny View Post
    you might've already considered this, but if your business trips are short enough you might not have to wean. many moms go down to one or two feedings a day around 12 months, so you'd only have to pump a little. just a thought!
    The problem is, I can't imagine her going down to 1-2 feedings per day b/c right now, she still nurses like 5-6 times per day. How do I gradually get her down to 1-2 feedings per day? Just continue to offer more solids close to the 1 yr anniversary? Plus, I need to figure out how to use the pump and find some time to pump while I'm working...

I'm considering flying my retired father (who is really good with kids) with me to watch her and if needed, bring her to me to nurse in the middle of the day if I'm desperate enough.

sorry i can't offer much advice on how to move to 1-2 feedings a day. i think it's a gradual process usually, for sure.
    Jean
    proud mama to ds, born 8/3/06, 11 lbs 14 oz, 24", now 35 lbs, 35", self-weaned at 20 months
    expecting baby boy #2 on 7/21/08, hoping for a VBAC

My child got good at the sippy cup around 15 mos. Maybe you can move those travel plans back just a tiny bit? Before that she would play with it and suck and spit but didn't really use it properly. I did get her to drink water from a straw a little earlier, and before that, drink a little right out of a large open cup. She NEVER liked expressed milk. I couldn't even sneak it into her rice cereal or anything. If I was gone, it was bananas, yogurt, water, etc. Funny that she hung on to breastfeeding for three and a half years, but NEVER accepted expressed breastmilk. At one she loved soymilk and cow's milk, even tasted some other baby's formula... but mama milk had to come from mama. Whatever. I managed to get away for a weekend well before she was two and she was just fine without it. Nursing became a part of our relationship more than her way of surviving. When I was away she ate and drank other things. But that happens very gradually.

There is a HUGE difference between 8 mos and a year. Your child is at the age where the location of mommy is becoming very important and food is not important at all. So obviously you can't imagine being able to leave her as things are now. If you want her weaned by one, you'll have to do some pushing, but certainly even if you do nothing, things will be quite different in four months. In 10 months, this won't be an issue at all whether she's weaned or not.

if your dad is willing to travel with you it sounds like a grand plan!

We introduced a sippy to Connor at about 6-7 months. He too just played with it, until about 10 months. Then it just clicked. I didn't offer EBM in his sippy, only water. As LO's become more mobile, many moms find that they become 'too busy' or 'too distracted' to nurse as often. You can lessen the amount of session a day by increasing solids and dropping one feeding at a time, gradually decreasing more over the weeks to come. BM should be the main source of nutrition until 1 year though.

At about 11-12 months Connor dropped his nursing quite a bit. He's an eater though. LOVES solids. We feed him 'table foods', not jarred baby food. The baby food just doesn't seem to fill him up at all. By 13 months he was down to 1-2 feeds per day, and as we approached 14 months he decided that he didn't want to nurse every day and skipped some days completely. We are now nearing 15 months and we have stopped nursing.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/index.html
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

If your LO drinks other things (like water) from a cup (sippy or regular) but refuses EBM (this is the case with my son), mixing the EBM with some yogurt may work. It changes the taste enough to make it acceptable.