Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP! What is happening to my supply?

Default HELP! What is happening to my supply?

I've had an over abundance of milk and all of a sudden starting last night I'm pumping less than half the amount. DD is 9 months. I'm not taking any medications. Although, I do have a slight cold right! What could it be? I'm not under any unusual.
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

Default Re: HELP! What is happening to my supply?

If you have a cold be sure to take in extra fluids to replace what you are losing in mucus. This does make a difference.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Sorry for the unfinished post. I was in a hurry at work.

Anyway, I have been drinking lot's of H2O. I spoke with a LC today and she said it could be one of 3 reasons.

#1 plugged duct
    #2 ovulation
    #3 period starting

I know I don't have a plugged duct. I haven't had a period yet, so that seems like the most obvious. I'm gonna add an extra pumping session and try warm compresses before. I'll see if that helps.

Any other ideas or suggestions, I'm open to them! )
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000

Pregnant? A guess.

Possibly increasing amounts of solid food leading to decreased nursing frequency or amount, affecting your supply? I personally have not experienced that one, but have noticed this one:

When I started working part time, the use of bottles by caregiver and me pumping led to a decreased supply just because of less efficiency of the pump over the baby's mouth. I have to wonder, perhaps for some individuals there is a finite length of time we lactate? I have been doing 2-3 x a day nursing (a.m, p.m., and middle of night) for over a month now and have noticed that now my DS can hardly get a satisfying meal out of those. Supply going away, no matter how often I try to nurse. Very very sad. Just a thought.

The posts I have researched to help with supply suggest nursing or pumping as often as possible to increase supply. If it doesn't work, sorry to hear it but at least you were able to go this long! Many people don't even try. Your baby had the best possible nutrition during the time he needed it most.

Good luck.

Eve

Thanks for the support Eve! I know I'm NOT pregnant! I had my tubes tied after DD. I'm hoping it is my period. We'll see. Nothing I can really do except maybe add a pumping session and wait.
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000

Quote Originally Posted by dinkey98 View Post
    Thanks for the support Eve! I know I'm NOT pregnant! I had my tubes tied after DD. I'm hoping it is my period. We'll see. Nothing I can really do except maybe add a pumping session and wait.
    Off topic - do you think the delay in AF has anything to do with your tubal? I got my tubes tied after dd2 and after 8 months have still not seen AF. With dd1, I saw her at 4 months.

Are you taking any medication for your cold? If so that can have an effect on your supply. I've noticed that when I'm ill my supply heads for the hills!! But it usually get more again once I'm better!

Quote Originally Posted by amyped View Post
    Off topic - do you think the delay in AF has anything to do with your tubal? I got my tubes tied after dd2 and after 8 months have still not seen AF. With dd1, I saw her at 4 months.
    Medically speaking, a tubal ligation should have absolutely no effect on the normal cycle. Nursing does for sure.

Eve

Still waiting for AF. Unless I'm ovulating. Which I won't know for 2 weeks when I start AF.
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000