Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lopsided?? oversupply

Question Lopsided?? oversupply

I have been having an issue with oversupply for about 2 weeks now basically since engorgement. I think I partially caused it pumping too early trying to fix a problem I had with one of my areolas being too thick/hard to latch on to and the nipple not coming out as well.

Well that problem is gone, and now I have oversupply as well as overactive let down.

I've been using the suggestions of only feeding on one breast for a few feedings then going to the other as the site suggests for about a week now, and it seemed to have fixed it on one side, ironically the side where I was pumping in the early days to fix the nipple issue. That side seems to be producing the perfect amount. However, the other side, I can now go 3 feedings in a row, and still have it feel full. Baby never seems to be able to empty it like the other. For example today I fed him on the oversupply issue side at 9:30, 11:30 and 1:30 or so, for next feeding around 3:30, that breast still felt so full, and almost equivalent to the one I hadn't fed him on since 7 this morning! So the one that I hadn't used for a feeding in about 8 hours feels just as full as the one I had been feeding on all day.
    Any suggestions? should I just keep doing what I am doing, waiting till its unbearably full, feeding only on that side for awhile, then to the other etc? Will it just take longer to fix itself? is there anything else you think I should try?

Default Re: Lopsided?? oversupply

if someone could move this to the correct forum (too much milk) in the supply section I would appreciate it greatly. For some reason those forums wouldn't show up for me, even when I clicked on the milk supply section it showed no forums in it.

Hi Phantasia, there are lots of mummies on here who have had issues with OS and OALD. My OS was equal on both sides, and it took about 10-14 days of block feeding on both sides for things to settle down.
    Hang in there! And congrats on your LO.
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

Smile Re: Lopsided?? oversupply

Breastmilk is supply & demand, block feeding should work, but you are doing it opposite, you should be feeding on the "normal" breast and NOT feeding on the overfull breast for 2-3 hours.

Feeding on the over producing breast for 3 hours straight will stimulate it to make even MORE milk
    Last edited by Sonita; October 31st, 2007 at 10:34 AM. Reason: misspelled word :)

Oh & if the oversupply breast becomes uncomfortable, you should express a little bit of milk so that you are comfortable. This will not cause more production of milk.

I have been actually block feeding on both breasts. That's why I'm confused as to how it became lopsided as it is.

I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully things will improve. So many tears! I hate seeing him struggle so much, I am doing the overflow into a towel thing, but it seems he's stuck in a pattern of coming on and off because he's used to having to now. Even when I know it's not flowing extremely fast, he's still on and off most of the time. Occasionally he'll latch on and stay on. And the amount he spits up when he has one of those fitful on/off feedings upsets me. I end up having to hold him upright for about an hour in which he spits up multiple times, and a decent amount not just a little, and even then sometimes he spits up more when I lie him down after that hour. When he stays latched, he hardly spits up at all, maybe a little dribble sometimes but that's it.

He is gaining well, so I guess he's ok, but it still worries/upsets me. Last check he was 9lb 8oz already, from a birth weight of 8lb 3oz, and hes only 19 days old. I hate seeing him so uncomfortable though.

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I agree with pp that if you have a lopsided oversupply, feed more often on the less full side than the oversupply side. That is, perhaps feeding twice on the less full side and once on the oversupply side. In a few days, it should get better. And, if you're uncomfortable, pump just enough until you're comfortable, but not to empty. Oh, and how long are your blocks? You could try longer blocks if it doesn't get better in a few days. I had to start with 6 hr blocks, then reduced to 3 hr blocks. (or you coudl just feed twice on each side before switching).

To help your LO handle the flow, have you also tried feeding him upright (so milk flows against gravity)? You could also let hte initial letdown flow onto a burp cloth, and then relatch. Eventually, he'll learn to do that too.

I had a major oversupply too, but it took about 14 weeks for everything to even out. Most moms, it takes 6-8 wks for milk supply to regulate. Plus LOs are better able to handle the fast flow as they get older. Hang in there!

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasia View Post
    if someone could move this to the correct forum (too much milk) in the supply section I would appreciate it greatly. For some reason those forums wouldn't show up for me, even when I clicked on the milk supply section it showed no forums in it.
    I think you have to log on in order to see the "Too Much Milk" forum.

yeah the login thing is what happened initially because I was just signing up, I saw the forum then after I had already posted

I will try feeding him upright and see how it goes, and actually I see a slight improvement in the fullness of the oversupply breast today. I hope it stays.

I was really surprised by this because I thought that if you had oversupply it would be in neither or both, not just one! It started off in both, and then ended up this way. Guess each breast has it's own "mind". I would've thought it would be a symmetrical thing.