Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oral hygeine

Default Oral hygeine

There is a high emphasize in the UK about brushing your babies gums even before their teeth come out. How many brush their babies gums/teeth, what age did you start? I am really worried about tooth decay especially now that she is on solids and her teeth have just come out.

Default Re: Oral hygeine

I read that you should start oral hygene as soon as the first non permanent tooth comes out (brushing the gums around it with a finger wrapped in a damp gauze) but never heard about gums themselves... maybe it's to get the baby used to the procedure as soon as possible?
    check this anyway
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T107300.asp

HTH!
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

i started when the tooth broke thru, we have 2 bottom teeth now and I wipe all of his gums, and he "brushes" with me in the am and pm.

I started when DD got her first two teeth. I did do the gums along with the teeth. Now since she is older, I still brush her teeth and gums with the finger brush two times a day, and after I finish she can brush her own teeth with a big girl toothbrush. She thinks she's big like mommy when she uses the toddler brush herself. Too cute.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

it is recommended to wipe gumms after drinking milk (specially formula) because there is always some residue that can be great for colonizing bateria....this should start at birth. If you are bfeeding, it´s not as important.

When teeth come out, rubbing then with a gauze with water is enough after having solids.

About tooth decay and bfeeding: there have been studies that show no relation...in relation to night feedings. Formula does relate to tooth decay with bad hygeine habits and all night bottle (one babies take to bed).
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

I also love
    Tried to