Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: runny nose, and breastfeeding.

Default Re: runny nose, and breastfeeding.

I bought a bulb with a tip that is smaller and then gets bigger at the spot where it would be inserted too far. It is "overinsertion proof" according to the package.

I've heard that putting EBM in the nose helps. Both for clearing it out and killing the viruses in there I never tried it though.

Hot steam YES! They also sell vapor plug in's that might help, vapor bath, and I know someone who uses ,(and I am sorry I am going to spell this wrong), eucoliptus oil to help her daughters stuffy nose. Saline drops up the nose may help to clear it long enough to nurse, (I have also heard that breastmilk helps, but was never up to trying that ).

I would say yes to pumping if little one is not nursing well. Your supply can be affecting if LO is not draining the breast properly. Also it is a lot less work to drink the BM out of a fast flow bottle nipple then mom! (or sippy cup if LO does not take a bottle) I found this out when DD was very sick and would not even consider nursing but took the bottle no problem!

Hope this helps!

Could you elevate his mattress so he breathes better at night? I cosleep, so we elevated a twin mattress by stacking comforters under it. It helped when she had congestion or the stomach flu.

Hope your lo feels better soon!
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

Steam, saline, eucilyptus and keeping him upright are great in combo too! But, if the nose is more runny than stuffy, it might not make a difference. Pumping will keep the breast drained well enough, and hopefully lo will soon feel better and will probably be really hungry! Keep and eye on that ear pulling though, and maybe give the doc a call to make sure you shouldn't go in to have that checked. An undetected ear infection, in my experience, also can affect appetite.

Hope lo is well soon.

he's actually almost all the way better. I went and got some eye ointment from the dr for conjunctivitis, but I'm not using it until I really think I need to. Never went into a chest cold.