Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When/How long to pump...LONG

Default When/How long to pump...LONG

I apologize for such a long post...I have a couple of questions and I want to get all my info out there!

I'm a really active SAHM to my new LO (7 weeks) and my 10-year-old son. My LO weighed 8 lbs 7 oz at birth and is in the 95th percentile for her age, gaining weight & length rapidly from the get-go. Very good eater!

MY FIRST QUESTION:I need to know how to work pumping in on a daily basis to cover me when I'm out and about, doing things or at places where actually sitting down to nurse is too time-consuming and inconvenient (not that I don't enjoy nursing, cuz I do!) I can't exactly "schedule it in" everyday (say, first thing in the morning) because my LO doesn't wake up at the same time everyday. I'm afraid to pump at say 6 AM, then have her awaken at 6:30 and find I don't have enough to satisfy her.

Also, I have an OALD, and feeding her is sometimes a very messy, frustrating ordeal...but I've noticed that my OALD is more pronounced if it's been several hours since the last feeding. At feedings like this, she gets so frustrated with all the gulping and choking that she doesn't eat enough, and is wanting the breast again very quickly. Sometimes, she won't burp effectively before wanting to return to the breast, then will have either a tummy ache or spit up, etc. I've found that she actually eats full, comfortable meals (sucks without stopping) and is satisfied longer between feedings if she eats from a bottle instead of from my breast. I thoroughly enjoy nursing her when I know that my OALD won't be too crazy for her to eat from, and also through the night, which is great because I don't have OALD while laying in bed. I don't have time to lay in bed during the day because, as I mentioned in my first paragraph, I'm gone a lot or working at home.

MY SECOND QUESTION:Would it be "wrong" for me to feed her from a bottle, as if I were working outside of the home when I'm actually not? I know that sounds ridiculous, but something is telling me that because I'm a SAHM, I should be willing and able to nurse her and just deal with the crazy OALD, and just stay trapped at home, not going places I need to go or doing things I need to do! Let's face it, some places and activities are just not convenient for throwing a blanket over my shoulder and nursing.

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

Default Re: When/How long to pump...LONG

Quote Originally Posted by shannon1976 View Post
    I need to know how to work pumping in on a daily basis to cover me when I'm out and about, doing things or at places where actually sitting down to nurse is too time-consuming and inconvenient (not that I don't enjoy nursing, cuz I do!) I can't exactly "schedule it in" everyday (say, first thing in the morning) because my LO doesn't wake up at the same time everyday. I'm afraid to pump at say 6 AM, then have her awaken at 6:30 and find I don't have enough to satisfy her.
    How often do you expect that you would feed expressed milk?

You might find it helpful to know that even if your baby woke at 6:30, and you pumped at 6:00, there will be milk there for her. The breast is never truly empty. This resource explains:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/mi...tml#refillmyth

Also, I have an OALD, and feeding her is sometimes a very messy, frustrating ordeal...but I've noticed that my OALD is more pronounced if it's been several hours since the last feeding. At feedings like this, she gets so frustrated with all the gulping and choking that she doesn't eat enough, and is wanting the breast again very quickly. Sometimes, she won't burp effectively before wanting to return to the breast, then will have either a tummy ache or spit up, etc. I've found that she actually eats full, comfortable meals (sucks without stopping) and is satisfied longer between feedings if she eats from a bottle instead of from my breast. I thoroughly enjoy nursing her when I know that my OALD won't be too crazy for her to eat from, and also through the night, which is great because I don't have OALD while laying in bed. I don't have time to lay in bed during the day because, as I mentioned in my first paragraph, I'm gone a lot or working at home.
    Feeding shorter, more frequent feedings works for many mothers. Here's some information:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

Maybe choose a time of day to lie down with baby and have a quiet time together? Maybe it could be part of her nap routine?

Would it be "wrong" for me to feed her from a bottle, as if I were working outside of the home when I'm actually not? I know that sounds ridiculous, but something is telling me that because I'm a SAHM, I should be willing and able to nurse her and just deal with the crazy OALD, and just stay trapped at home, not going places I need to go or doing things I need to do! Let's face it, some places and activities are just not convenient for throwing a blanket over my shoulder and nursing.
    I'm not going to tell you it's "wrong". I don't think anyone here would. I do see that you're frustrated by your current situation, and I urge you to work towards finding ways to make nursing more comfortable for both of you. Shorter, more frequent feedings and block feeding can help a lot!

I'm being 100% honest when I say that breastfeeding is WAY easier than bottle feeding. No pumping. No bottles and pump parts to clean. No bottles to forget on the way out the door...ect, ect. Additionally, feeding bottles doesn't mean that your breasts won't need to be emptied. If you're away from home for a longer period of time, you would eventually need to nurse or express for your own health.

Could you tell us a bit more about your current daily routine? Perhaps we could offer some suggestions that might make nursing easier, at least most of the time.

Hang in there!

Hi ,

Home Executive has a lot of great ideas for you.

I would add, that there are things that you can do to get your OALD under control. Many mothers find that nursing while out and about gets a lot easier when they don't have OALD to deal with. It is difficult to be comfortable nursing in public when you are afraid your LO will pull off and you'll squirt milk all over .

Also, many moms with OALD find that any amount of pumping throws their OALD into overdrive. You might consider ditching the pump completely for a while, to see if your OALD improves.

Why don't you visit us over at the Too Much Milk forum? You might find just reading through the archives helpful.

Hang in there!

Tiana

This response kind of goes along the same lines as a more recent thread I started "Eliminated oversupply but OALD remains" under the Too Much Milk forum. I wanted to respond here, too, just in case more girls see it!

I ditched the pump for a little over a week to see if the OALD would improve. We were also in the process of packing and moving, so I didn't have time to pump anyway. The problem is that I really didn't see my OALD improve at all during this time. The only thing I've noticed is that my baby is getting better about handling it herself. She doesn't pull off every time I have the letdown anymore.

Now, I need to pump and add to the freezer stash I started a while back. My oversupply has been gone for a few weeks and all that's left is the OALD. I must work a little pumping in somehow. My husband and I are leaving for a few days to NYC the first week of December, and I must have enough supply for our baby to have while we're gone. My LLL leaders don't think I'll have any problems if I do the following: pump only once per day (no more than twice), don't pump the same way every time (double pump one day, then just the left breast the next day, then the right breast the next day, then the left breast while she nurses from my right the next day, and so on), and not at the same TIME everyday (first thing in the morning one day, afternoon the next day, evening next day, and so on).

This plan makes sense to me. Any concerns or additional suggestions??

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)