Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pedia says I should give my 4 month old yogurt?!?

Default pedia says I should give my 4 month old yogurt?!?

my LO is on a second round of antibiotics, and just finishing an antifungal medication due to thrush. he had some blood in his stool recently, so we went to see pediatrician. she examined it and said she thinks it's from the antibiotics. poor little guy, his poopie is green now, with lots of mucus, and now even a bit of blood. so she suggested giving him yogurt to help... has anyone else tried this or heard of it? i have a mild milk allergy, so i am scared to give him anything with cow's milk. plus we live in "the middle of nowhere" so do not have a health food store and cannot get yogurt made with anything other than cow's milk, as far as i know....

any other suggestions to help my LO? i think his bowels are so irritated from all this medication... poor little guy....

Default Re: pedia says I should give my 4 month old yogurt?!?

Hmmm...My 2 month old has had green, mucousy poop with tiny amts of blood in it and we're currently on a dairy-free diet to see if it improves since those can be signs of a milk allergy. I think that considering your history of milk allergy I would skip the yogurt. If your baby's problems really are from the medications, then I would think that his tummy will eventually heal on its own after the meds are stopped. I doubt that the yogurt would make much of a difference anyway, and to me it's definitely not worth it to risk exposing him directly to cow's milk at 4 months old. Breastmilk alone should help his tummy heal, and if you drink a lot of milk and milk products you might just want to cut back on those too just in case.
    Good luck!

ironically i just found out about my milk allergy last week when i had food allergy testing done. i don't consume many milk products, and i have never noticed any ill effects when consuming milk. in fact, i was quite surprised to learn of a milk allergy. (it is a very mild one, so mild that i might not even notice symptoms of it.) but it did make me stop to think that LO could develop a milk allergy too if i have one. LO did not have this problem before all these medications. poor guy.

I'm sure what ped wants you to do is to get healthy bacteria back into babys intestines hence the yogurt. Since you made mention of dairy allergy I would probably stay away from yogurt from cow's milk for now. My LO is allergic to cow's milk but not to soy and I give him Silk brand soy yogurt with live cultures (good bacteria). Maybe you could call around to see if any store around you carries it? Or maybe you could get your hands on some probiotic powder to give LO? Maybe the ped would have some ideas of where you could get some? a pharmacy may order you some in? Just some ideas. I'm sure that some more knowledgeable moms will put their info in too! Good luck with LO hope he is feeling better soon.

ETA: I just noticed that your LO is only 4 months old.......i would probably try to get your hands on probiotics first before trying yogurt. I am assuming that LO is EBF?
    Last edited by traceek; October 30th, 2007 at 01:12 PM.

You can give your LO probiotics (that's what's in the yogurt that will help with the fungal growth). You should be able to find it at any health foods store or online. The brand I have is called Florababy. It's a powder you keep in the fridge and do a paste in the mouth/put some in their bottle. It has directions on the back, but I can't remember them all. It really helped us!

Quote Originally Posted by traceek View Post
    Maybe the ped would have some ideas of where you could get some? a pharmacy may order you some in?
    This is what I was going to suggest - a good drugstore (the kind that do compounding) would have this acidiliphus in capsule form - refrigerated most likely. You can break open the capsules and dissolve the powder in EBM. I'd call ped for dosage info for a lo. I give a whole capsule's worth to my toddler daily when she is on antibiotics as she is prone to diah during antibiotic treatments.

Amy

How about Mom taking the probiotic or eating the cow's milk free yogurt? I eat a yogurt a day as directed when leaving the hospital (to keep good microbes growth up and yeast growth down)....while I'm sick of yogurt it seems to be working because we are both doing great!

You might try making your own yogurt, from what I understand it is very easy (i'm sure you can find how online). You could use regular cows milk yogurt as your starter culture, but then use cow milk free product (soy milk perhaps) to make your yogurt...just a thought...I know the challenges of living quite a distance from stores with variety

HTH - good luck!
    as long as we can, as often as we can

Mama to DS born June 2007

i checked, and there is a soy yogurt available at walmart, but the only flavor is strawberry. isn't strawberry a no-no for allergy prone kids?

i am so frustrated at this point, not being able to get the kind of yogurt i need. we live 100 miles from any "big town"/city, etc....

yes my LO is EBF

How would you feel about trying probiotics instead? Here's some info:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...ng-thrush.html

If your baby already has a milk sensitivity/allergy, IMHO, it wouldn't be the best suggestion to offer a milk-based product directly to the baby. ESPECIALLY since baby is already having issues with mucus and blood in the stool. That's just my opinion--I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on the internet.