Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: beastfeeding to emotional?

Default beastfeeding to emotional?

Hello to all. I'm new to this board and a new mother to my new daughter as of Oct. 13th.

I've wanted to breastfeed since the very beginning even before my daughter arrived I received a breast pump and several breastfeeding products at my baby showers. I figured my MIL and SIL breastfed why couldn't I? This should be easy right? At the hospital none of the nurses really knew anything about breastfeeding. The nurses told me to have my dd latch on while either yauning or crying! She never yauned much and when she did she'd turn her head away from my breast. This didn't make much sense to me. Why would I want my baby to be crying just before every feeding? Her tongue was up while crying so she couldn't latch on right even if we tried. Needless to say I felt like a bad mother by making her cry and emotionally I couldn't stand to see my dd so upset. I finally called in a lactation consultant on my final day at the hospital. I had some bad blisters on both nipples in just 2 days of breastfeeding! The consultant helped me with positioning and I was doing much better after a couple of days of being home. Things were going fine until....my nipples started hurting again and the late nights and lack of sleep made breastfeeding less enjoyable for the both of us. I kept on breastfeeding and I noticed she'd start to get fussy even after feeding her. I pumped to see how much I was getting from each breast and it was an ounce each. My ped. said that was really good. My dd gained a pound since she's been home from the hospital so I don't understand why all of a sudden she's so fussy? The fussiness has been going on almost since day one. I introduced pacifiers at about a week and a half because she loves to have her hands in her mouth all of the time. My dd loves the pacifier and she still takes to my breast. She seems to latch on really well to my right breast and my left has always hurt since day one even with the lactation consultants help. I've tried different positions, but nothing works. So at about a week and a half I started pumping the left breast while having her feed on my right. This became rather conveinent so I ended up pumping both. After feeding her bottles for about 4 days or so and only breastfeeding her on occasion I noticed she was still hungry for more and fisting. So I'd give her a little formula from those sample cans you get in the mail. Yes, I felt like a bad mother all over again. I was told by my SIL and MIL supplimenting during the first month is a really bad thing because it can decrease your milk supply. I was too tired to care about what they've said to me and I gave in to formula during her night feedings and whatever breastmilk I expressed I'd mix it in with the formula. My milk supply is so weird during one pumping I can express from my Left breast 1 1/2 - 3 1/2 ounces. From my Right I can express 1 - 2 1/2 ounces. In order to make my daughter feel satisfied after a feeding she needs to eat between 3 1/2 - 4 ounces at one feeding. She's not even 3 weeks old yet does this amount seem normal? Sometimes I can only pump a total of 2 ounces and then I end up mixing another 2 ounces of formula in with the breastmilk. I'm afraid if I don't add formula my dd go hungry. On the emotional side of things I like to breastfeed knowing she's getting what God intended for her. On the other hand when my dd's not satisfied it leaves us both in tears. Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry I wrote a book.

Default Re: beastfeeding to emotional?

Sounds like you're having a rough time! Take heart - it does get better! The early weeks are definitely the hardest. I agree with your SIL and MIL that giving formula can definitely affect your milk supply. If you feel like you absolutely must, then make sure you pump everytime you supplement. Making milk is a supply and demand thing - the more you remove, the more you make. It's also totally normal to get different amounts at different times of day. Your body produces more of the hormone needed to make milk while you sleep, so you are probably pumping more at night and in the morning than later in the day. Are you still having issues with your LO's latch, or have you switched to exclusively pumping? I'm not sure what your specific questions are, but hopefully some of this has helped. Let us know if there's anything not addressed here. Hang in there! You're doing great, and I promise it gets easier!

Well, for starters, and congratulations on the birth of you precious little girl!!

Now I'm no expert and hopefully someone else will chime in with more real info, but it seems to me that 3 - 4 ounces for a baby not quite 3 weeks old is a bit much. Then again, there's no way to measure what comes from a breast, so maybe it is normal? In any event, I would definatley cut out the formula. Unless there is some type of medical issue you baby should be able to thrive on your milk alone. If you want to pump, fine, but I just don't see a need to mix formula in with it. You can't accurately judge how much milk you have based on how much you get when you pump. Babies are sooo much more efficient at removing the milk than a machine.

I would suggest taking baby to bed for a few days with lots of skin to skin contact. Just lots of snuggles and nurssing sessions. If you are having any supply issues, that would help bring it back up alot, plus you would get some much needed rest. There are many reasons why a baby would be overly-fussy, but if she's gaining weight then I doubt it's because she's hungry. She may just have a very strong need to suck.

I don't know if that helps at all. Hopefully someone else will be along soon. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

Congratulations on the birth of your lo. I agree with pp, nursing is supply and demand. If you stop supplementing you will produce more. It's very common for each breast to put out different amounts. My right produces 3 times what my left does. I've been told that the breast that's on the side of your dominant hand always produces more...don't know the science behind that though!
    As far as you lo being fussy...it may be something you're eating. I would try a few days of a bland diet, or maybe cut out dairy and see if that works.
    I know, I'd be up the creek if I had to cut out dairy, but sometimes babies are very sensitive to it. Many times you can re-introduce it when they're a little older.
    Hang in there....you're doing great!
    Jill
    Wife to Steven, mom to ds Noah (11), ds Oliver (4), dss Peter (11), Linus (2), and 2 in heaven.

Buy Eco-friendly Handmade at GaGa Bum
    Blogaholic ~ SERENITY NOW!

Hi,
    I had the same problem with my baby when she was around 2 weeks old! She also wanted 3 to 4 ounces! So I had to feed her every hour! I called my pediatrician and he said that is totally normal, she's growing! After 2 days we returned back to normal!!!

My nipples felt like they were being ripped off for about a month ! I would feed him first on the nipple that wasn't sore and when he was done put him on the nipple that was sor(he wouldn't eat for that long on it since he had already emtied the first one). It gets better though, try hard not to supplement so that your supply will build up. My baby gets fussy when you do not burp him enough, he will burp about 5 times after each breast. and I agree with the pp get in bed and drink and nurse. You are doing a great job to bf in the first place. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by cuttingedge View Post
    Hello to all. I'm new to this board and a new mother to my new daughter as of Oct. 13th.
    AND congratulations!

I've wanted to breastfeed since the very beginning even before my daughter arrived I received a breast pump and several breastfeeding products at my baby showers. I figured my MIL and SIL breastfed why couldn't I? This should be easy right?
    Breastfeeding is natural, but it doesn't always come naturally. Breastfeeding is an art. With practice, it DOES get better. I promise. You might find this information reassuring:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/natural.html

At the hospital none of the nurses really knew anything about breastfeeding. The nurses told me to have my dd latch on while either yauning or crying! She never yauned much and when she did she'd turn her head away from my breast. This didn't make much sense to me. Why would I want my baby to be crying just before every feeding? Her tongue was up while crying so she couldn't latch on right even if we tried. Needless to say I felt like a bad mother by making her cry and emotionally I couldn't stand to see my dd so upset.
    I'm so sorry that you were given such misinformation. How frustrating those first days of feeding must have been for you!

I finally called in a lactation consultant on my final day at the hospital. I had some bad blisters on both nipples in just 2 days of breastfeeding! The consultant helped me with positioning and I was doing much better after a couple of days of being home.
    That's GREAT!

Things were going fine until....my nipples started hurting again and the late nights and lack of sleep made breastfeeding less enjoyable for the both of us. I kept on breastfeeding and I noticed she'd start to get fussy even after feeding her. I pumped to see how much I was getting from each breast and it was an ounce each. My ped. said that was really good. My dd gained a pound since she's been home from the hospital so I don't understand why all of a sudden she's so fussy? The fussiness has been going on almost since day one.
    Your nipples were sore again...could you describe when the pain occurred (before, during, after feeding) and what it felt like?

Fussiness could be caused by many things. Hunger is only one of them.

Newborns need to eat frequently in the early weeks. Sometimes, growth spurts and fussiness lead mothers to believe that they don't have enough milk or that their milk isn't rich enough. Frequent nursing and even fussiness is a normal part of the growing up process for newborns. A pound weight gain is REALLY a great sign that things were going well!!

Here's some information about growth spurts:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/spurt.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html

And information about fussiness:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussybaby.html

I introduced pacifiers at about a week and a half because she loves to have her hands in her mouth all of the time. My dd loves the pacifier and she still takes to my breast.
    Pacifiers can sometimes cause fussiness at the breast. Do you see any correlation in your current situation? If so, it's absolutely fine to discontinue the pacifier. You can always try it again at a later date.

She seems to latch on really well to my right breast and my left has always hurt since day one even with the lactation consultants help. I've tried different positions, but nothing works. So at about a week and a half I started pumping the left breast while having her feed on my right.
    Looking at your nipples, does there seem to be a difference between the two? Is it possible that your left is flat?
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/flat.html

This became rather conveinent so I ended up pumping both. After feeding her bottles for about 4 days or so and only breastfeeding her on occasion I noticed she was still hungry for more and fisting. So I'd give her a little formula from those sample cans you get in the mail. Yes, I felt like a bad mother all over again.
    You're not a bad mom!

I was told by my SIL and MIL supplimenting during the first month is a really bad thing because it can decrease your milk supply. I was too tired to care about what they've said to me and I gave in to formula during her night feedings and whatever breastmilk I expressed I'd mix it in with the formula.
    They are correct (sorry! ). Supplementing with formula will eventually decrease your milk production dramaticly.

What are your nursing goals, cuttingedge? In a perfect world, what would you like to see happen?

My milk supply is so weird during one pumping I can express from my Left breast 1 1/2 - 3 1/2 ounces. From my Right I can express 1 - 2 1/2 ounces.
    It's completely normal for one side to produce more than the other!

In order to make my daughter feel satisfied after a feeding she needs to eat between 3 1/2 - 4 ounces at one feeding. She's not even 3 weeks old yet does this amount seem normal? Sometimes I can only pump a total of 2 ounces and then I end up mixing another 2 ounces of formula in with the breastmilk. I'm afraid if I don't add formula my dd go hungry.
    That is a quite a bit for a two week old. I almost want to say it's too much. Remember that babies can't control the milk flow of a bottle the same way they can at the breast.

Perhaps she's not wanting more food so much as she is wanting to suck longer? What happens when you put her to the breast after after a bottle? Will she continue nurse?

On the emotional side of things I like to breastfeed knowing she's getting what God intended for her. On the other hand when my dd's not satisfied it leaves us both in tears. Any help would be much appreciated. Sorry I wrote a book.
    We love books!

Seriously, though, if you want to breastfeed, you CAN. This is a learned art, and you will learn what makes breastfeeding work for you and YOUR baby. Here's a couple of neat articles you might enjoy:
    http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/bfing...s/3course.html
    http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/bfing...ks/hungry.html

HTH!

It took 6-8 weeks for my nipple soreness to go away. You are doing great! Don't believe the pumping amount is the true amount. Pumps are way less effective than babies. Nurse a lot and your supply will bounce back! That is cool that you have supportive family.

Thank you guys oh so much for the wonderful words of encouragement and advise I really appreciate it. Today my dd has cut back to 3 ounces per feeding instead of 4. I've been pumping around 3 - 4 ounces now. I drank plenty of water and I slept much better last night. I went over to my mom's house with baby and we got some much needed rest. I've been encouraged by you all to continue feeding her at my breast. Today I've had her latch on even on my painful left breast. The pain in my left breast happens right when she latches on it feels like she's pinching me. I watched the lactation consultant move her bottom lip out so she had a better latch, but I couldn't figure out how she did this when I got home. It did feel a little better after her bottom lip was flanged out. Sometimes the pain in my left breast comes back about a 1/2 an hour after a feeding. It's like a shooting pain from the inside of the breast to the nipple. Sometimes it also feels like pins and needles - must be my milk letting down again? My daughter does latch on after a bottle I think she just misses the skin to skin contact. She just likes to hang out sometimes and she'll fall asleep. I just love the cute looks on her face when she's done breastfeeding - they're priceless! Well gotta run baby's crying for me.
    Thank you so much for all of your help!

did you have antibotic in the hospital?
    Sometimes new moms battle thursh.
    Would you said your pain is burning?
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html
    are you cracked?