Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Colostrum all gone?

Default Colostrum all gone?

Okay, so my wife had a c-section because of CPD, and we were able to nurse the baby within about 10 minutes in recovery. He did OK there - nursed for about 10-15 minutes and then had to go get his lungs suctioned again.

Anyway, when he came back, he was super sleepy when breast-feeding - he'd go for 2-3 minutes and be IMPOSSIBLE to wake up and get going again. We'd nurse him for 2-3 hours at a time. (I'd have to pick him up and put him on the counter top to wake him up!) It looked like we were experience good colostrum flow, and my wife was able to hand express some of the good stuff to get him interested. We did have a couple of good "textbook" feedings in there.

Now that we've brought him home, we are having the exact opposite problem. He wants to eat all the time and is really super pissed off about it, so he tends to grab on to the nipple to soon, and then gets even more frustrated when my wife won't let him chew on her nipple. To make matters worse, we appear to have "run out" of colostrum. We're still feeding pretty much constantly, but there isn't anything coming out of the breast. We're unable to hand express anything, and we're not seeing the little bits on his lips and tongue like we where.

Hopefully this means that the milk is on it's way - but what do we do with a screaming infant we can't feed in the meantime? He's got very little patience with "sucking for nothing."

Help.

artdad

Default Re: Colostrum all gone?

How many wet/dirty diapers is baby having? I know my lo seem "unhappy" and like he wasn't full, but he just wanted to suck for comfort. Which is fine, and will help her milk to come in faster.
    I found this answer on another board
    There is colostrum there. You may not be able to squeeze it out and it is not in large quantities. Your baby needs to feed 10 times every 24 hours.
    Are often are you putting the baby to the breast?
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

heres a cool link to watch about the 1st few days and how often to feed the baby.

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...uteHelper.html

have your wife call your local leader she realy can help over the phone beter then we can on-line.

I just wanted to say that you are an awesome husband and daddy for coming here and getting help for your wife and new mommy!

Hi and congratulations on your new LO!

How many days old is the baby? What was the baby's birthweight? Weight at discharge from hospital? How long have you been home? How many wet/dirty diapers has the baby had in the last 24 hours? What do the stools look like (i.e. still dark meconium or changing to yellow/brown)?

Sorry, I know that is a lot of questions, but it will help to get a better picture of where things are. It is likely that there IS still colostrum, but the baby is taking all of it so it seems like its "gone". It can take several days for the milk to "come in".

You do want to make sure that the baby is latching and sucking effectively. As some PP's have suggested, it may be helpful to get in touch with a local LLL leader as well. It is much easier to help with that sort of thing in person than over the internet.

He had a bowel movement right after we got him home (about 2:30 yesterday.) While we were changing him he peed all over us (as little boys are wont to do.) Since then he's peed once.

He stays at the breast pretty much all the time. Once he gets latched on though he goes through about one suck cycle and then he just starts screaming.

I know it's bad form, but I let him suck on my pinky a little bit, and he did the same thing - suck about a dozen times, then scream.

We actually broke down and gave him about half an once of formula last night around 4:00 (when we counted it up and figured he hadn't had a really GOOD eat in about 24 hours.) That seemed to calm him down considerably.

I'm actually going to call the Local League Leader pretty shortly - calling her at 3:30 AM seemed a little mean.

artdad

here is a good video that shows how to hand express. when giving him formula you want to still stimulate the breast to get the mik in. If she has a pump she could aslo try doing that...

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html

good luck, let us know how the phone call goes...
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

How are things going now, artdad?

you are too good coming on here for your wife. Funny thing is - my husband did the same thing...this is his screen name and now i continue with it, now that i dont have as many problems as I did in the beginning!! We had troubles, but we stuck it through..together...your wife and me are very lucky!!!! with your help, i am sure your wife and baby will do the same! has she tried pumping, even if she doesnt get much out, she can fool her breast into thinking it needs to create more. I did this and then gave the expressed milk to my lo (actually my husband did to give me a break or give me time to pump) but it took a lot of time, persistance and patience. when my supply was up, i didnt have to do it as much!

good luck