Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sleep?Does it exist?

Default sleep?Does it exist?

Hello,

I will give you a little background information, I am 31yrs young and just had my first baby. Sophia is 3months going on 4 months 11/7, and I would like to try and get on a schudule! Our feedings are all over the place, she eats every 2/3 hours and that could be anywhere between 2/5ozs. I sometimes pump and then bring her to the breast. She is not sleeping through the night and I would like to countiune breastfeeding but I want to know will she ever sleep though the night only on breast milk?

any help, helps!
    Natasha & Baby Sophia

Default Re: sleep?Does it exist?

oh, YES - your dd can sleep through the night when only getting bm - both of my dd's did. Are you getting some longer stretches at night - like around 4 hours or so? Keep night feedings dark and dull - daytime light and fun. Others will have better advice for you, but I just wanted to say that yes, bm is completely satisfying for a baby - formula does not mean they sleep longer between feedings.

Amy

I know plenty of breastfed babies who are great sleepers, I am just not their mom.

My son is a horrible sleeper , just in the last few months he has started waking only once to eat which is a dream.

for the 6 months he was "allergic" to sleep I calmed myself by reminding myself that I chose to make him, that I chose to mother him and at this time that included waking up.

That said when he decided 45 minutes at a time was suffucent sleep I did resort to a modified sleep training, which worked to stretch his waking out to every 3 hours.

It gets better- it just takes time.

amyped gave good advice... I know my DD was formula feed and still had her days and nights confused!! The best thing is to set a routine. I try to keep lights on during the day, even at nap time. And at night I have the TV on low for the light and a little noise (until he starts to get drowsy). I nurse him to sleep and try not to unlatch him, I let him kinda fall off, that way I know he is good and sleep. Are you co-sleeping?
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

I know it is frustrating and you must be totally exhausted!!! I went through this. You will find that as time passes the baby will sleep longer stretches at night. One night you will wake up and wonder what happened and why the baby did not wake up. As the stomach is able to hold more milk, they will sleep longer. Also when you introduce solids it helps them to sleep. My son is 5 mos and sleeps 6-8 hours w/out waking up. Sometimes he will have an occasion to wake once for a feeding, but then goes right back to sleep. It is ok with me since I work and miss the closeness of nursing. I don't mind the 30 minute interruption at night time. Just try to be patient with your baby and enjoy the times you have with them even if it is in the middle of the night.

I'm comforted by these posts: my 5 mo old son is waking every 2-3 hrs too. We went to the Peds yesterday, and she seemed shocked at that, and recommended we get back on reflux medicine, as he must be hurting to wake so often. Nice to know I'm not the only one

I breastfeed, have lots of challanges in the beggning with bleeding nipples, she still latches badly btu I can fix it, she slept 9 hours one night, normally she sleeps about 6 or 7 hours then 3 hours. I dont think breastfeeding is so much a part of it but the baby him/herself. All babies are differnt.

Cool Re: sleep?Does it exist?

MMMmmmm..I always feel better about my little one's sleep habits when you read about others. My little dude is just about 7 months old, was exclusively bf to 6 months and is now on solids and bm. From about 3 months old, he has been waking twice a night for feeds, but goes to bed at 7:00pm and wakes up at 7am - so to me, twice in 12 hours is actually pretty good! Of course I don't get 12 hours' sleep, or I would never see my husband, but I suppose the option is always there if need be.

Still, other ladies I know who have formula-fed babies all seem to have babies that sleep through the night - I suspect this would make no difference to my guy as since he started solids, he still wakes up at exactly the same times as before! My Mum is shocked that he still wakes up at night, but I just think he will only be so little for a very short time indeed, so I try to get some enjoyment out of our special time and when we are quietly nursing and everyone else is asleep, I think about how little he is and how I will look back years from now and wish I could have those moments back again!

Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible

Proud Mom to:
    Cooper, born 03/04/2007
    Tanner, born 13/04/2009

Mine sleep 9 hours straight and EBF. They had been going 5 hours for the longest time then it went to 6 and finally 9. Once every 10 days or so they will wake up at 2am for a feeding to keep us in practice. I don't have any suggestions because we did not do crying it out or anything like that. We feed them, then awake time, then wrap and put in crib. At the night feedings, it is change diaper/eat/and right back to bed. I would try to encourage longer or more feedings during the day to squeeze in calories.

My lo is 15 months old and co sleeps with me. I am coming to believe that it is not hunger that wakes up a lo (after a certain age) but rather habit. My lo has nursed 3-6 times a night since birth. She still wakes atleast 3 times a night, nurses and then goes back to sleep quickly. If only I had the nerve to stop her, but as of yet, I would rather get woke up for a few minutes here and there than hear her scream for a couple of nights.

BTW- from what I have read on sleep training, they recommend waiting atleast until 12 months of age. Dr Jay Gordon had a good plan on stopping night feedings after 1 year. I am just too whimpy.

Best of luck, hang in there.