Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Green poop wont go away! What's wrong w/ my milk?

Default Green poop wont go away! What's wrong w/ my milk?

Hello,

My lo has been having one daily green poop. Today, however, most of what he's been pooping has been green. I know it isn't a food allergy b/c I haven't had anything new in my diet. My milk has evened out though and feedings are now taking 2-3 time longer than they used to. I never feel full anymore even near feeding time. Should I be concerned, is my supply diminishing and could this be causing the problem. I've ebf for two and half months now w/out any issues so... Oh, and I don't know if this has anything to do w/ anything but he's been spitting up which is something that usually doesn't happen...

Any thoughts, ideas, comments -anything will be appreciated

Thank you!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Default Re: Green poop wont go away! What's wrong w/ my milk?

Do you have OALD (overactive let down)? I do and DD had lots of green poops while she and my boobs were working out how to best deal with each other.
    We haven't had any allergy issues, so I can't help you there, but I am sure there are lots of mamas that can.
    Hang in there, you're doing a great job!
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

My ds had this too for a week or two, around 4 months. I knew he was getting a full feeding from each side, so I didn't worry too much -- I thought maybe he had a mild virus because sometimes his nose would stuff up in the morning.

How long have you been having green poops? Have you looked into OALD/OS? Have you done block feeding? It could be an allergy, but what else have you eliminated from your diet (if anything)?

As for the supply 'issue' - your body is just responding to babys needs. As long as he's showing signs of getting enough - your suppy is a-okay
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Exclamation Re: Green poop wont go away! What's wrong w/ my milk?

I'll look for info on oald but I don't know if I have that or not. He's been having this for about a week no2. He has been eating often and for alot longer so I don't know if he's been getting enough b/c he doesn't cry for hunger but does want to feed like every half an hour to an hour.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Might be a touch of oversupply. Are they frothy in nature? I mean green poops are within "normal" range and the color will change often - but it can be distressing when it first shows up...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

My son had very greenish poops from day one , some days were mostly yellow, some days were 100% green- I cut out dairy , I block fed and finally after my doc said to relax I did.

As long as he is gaining and thriving don't worry too much.

There is a great poop list on Dr. Jay Gordon's website .

i had this issue with my first dd. (6 years ago.) i was just reading the breastfeeding book today by the sears and they said that this can come from baby not getting enough of the fatty milk. making sure baby completely drains a breast so they get lots of rich calories is supposed to help. if you think you are not supplying enough, the fact that he wants to eat often should help. they said that frequent feedings more than length of feedings gets the hormones going that produce milk and the let down reflux and fatty milk, etc. don't know if this all makes sense, but since i just read it today, thought i'd pass it along.

i hope it improves. it was not fun for me!!

I'm having the same issue. Well -- not ME exactly.... I'm pretty sure (from the extensive online research I've done during 3am feedings) that it's a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. Good luck!