Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 13.5mo suddenly nursing like a newborn again?

Default Re: 13.5mo suddenly nursing like a newborn again?

BTW, DD1 (7 yrs) has been getting "Set 2" gradually over the last couple of years, and it is every bit as cute as getting the 1st teeth. One last treat before she really grows big...

Quote Originally Posted by barb
    Ever wonder how moms who aren't nursing cope with the circumstances that make our babies/toddlers want to nurse more? Don't know what I would have done w/o that ace in the hole! It was so much easier to please my children before they grew big...
    Exactly, everytime I have wondered if I should encourage weaning, I think about this.

DS is 13 months and already has 8 teeth (yikes!) so in some ways, I feel like an old pro when it comes to teething (not really !)

Here are some of the behaviors my DS exhibits while teething (established in retrospect):
    My DS is typically a restless sleeper or has lots of wakefulness both during the day and at night when he is teething. He isn't able to take day-to-day bumps and bruises or frustrating situations as well as normal (could also be due to less sleep). He drools, and has his fingers in his mouth a lot. He often crawls over and bites parts of my body. He does not usually have a fever/rash before his teeth come in, though. He also adjusts his latch slightly, making me more prone to blisters on my nipples or clogged ducts. I feel like that alone -- the fact that he temporarily changes his latch when teething -- is an argument against those that say "teething doesn't exist/ babies aren't bothered by getting their teeth". When the teething is done, he goes right back to normal.

To more specifically respond to your question: yes, in general, my baby nurses more when teething. He definitely loses interest in solids; however, he loves eating things like cold watermelon when teething. Although it's weird -- some days he actually nurses less, and I try a couple of things to make him more comfortable when nursing: something cold to teethe, a different position, and, when necessary, some medicine. When he was very young (he started teething at 3 months) I had a a whole pre-nursing routine of putting something cold in his mouth to help numb it so he would nurse.