Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13.5mo suddenly nursing like a newborn again?

Default 13.5mo suddenly nursing like a newborn again?

My 13.5 month old daughter has suddenly, in the last few days, taken to nursing every 2-3 hrs during the day, and every 3-4 hrs at night!

We'd been down to every 4 or 5 hours during the day and 5-6hrs at night for a couple of months now.

With the increased nursing, she is taking way less solids, which is understandable. I just offer food and let her eat whatever she wants, whatever amount she wants. I'm not concerned about this; it's just an observation.

I also let her nurse whenever she asks. She used to ask a lot before, and I would offer everytime, but she would just pat them or play. Now, she'll nurse, both sides, for a full session -- 5-10min!

I'm not upset or necessarily looking to change this behavior. I'm just curious as to what could be causing it.

She only has her two bottom teeth, so I'm wondering if she could be teething? She's been running a sliiiiight fever lately at the end of the day, which could go hand in hand with teething, or could be something all-together different. It could be she's finally figuring out cause and effect (she asks to nurse and then she nurses)... So many things!!

I just was curious if anyone else's kid(s) has/have gone through a similar stage or if anyone had any ideas. Thanks!

Default Re: 13.5mo suddenly nursing like a newborn again?

hey ronessa. whenever carter teeths he ups the nursing. i don't know if it is for comfort or because he doesn't want to eat or use his cup because his gums hurt but i definitely notice it increases with the teething. hope this helps.

Hi Ronessa,

My sixteen month old DD has been doing the same thing!

She's been almost completely breastfeeding, and I've noticed her poops have gone back to looking like the newborn days!

DD is cutting 4 molars so that may have something to do with it. My DD also had a low-grade fever. Perhaps the same thing is happening with your baby too!

Whenever J returns to a pattern like this (he is 14+ mo now) - and it usually is most obvious during the night - he has been brewing a cold or virus/fever..... Hope that's not the case for you! Good luck!
    Jsmom

Thanks for the responses! She nursed 6x yesterday and today and at least 3 or 4x last night... I'm 99% sure it's teething. She is just not that interested in most food (other than yogurt, applesauce, etc... though, tonight she was all about these soft kamut noodles *shrug*) and is making up for it in spades with nursing. DH says her upper gums look "different... like 4 teeth are just waiting to pop through." Which... is probably the case. I swear lately when she's nursing, she feels like she's all teeth, LOL, but it's just the bottom two so far. She's also been having a TON of nightwakings when she's in the crib, and then she's been pretty restless in our bed. (She sleeps in her crib the first few hours of the evening and then comes to bed with us when we go to bed). I don't think it's a virus (knock on wood!) because everything else seems to be okay -- her stools are fine; no runny nose; etc -- though she has been itching her one ear a lot. But, then again, she just recently discovered she can plug her ears (you should have seen the look on her face - hilarious). Who knows? LOL Ah, motherhood. I've never sat around second guessing myself so much in my entire life... There's just so much possibilities in everything! Heh. DH says I overthink everything, but I think I just am covering all of my bases.

Ronessa! My four have all done the same thing! I was just chatting with another mom from our group who is going through this with her 14 month old. Sometimes babies nurse like newborns when they have acquired, or are about to acquire, a big new skill, like walking, climbing, saying a new word, etc. I liken it to graduating from college. Your whole world has changed, and you have a host of new skills and new responsibilities. That can be very threatening even to an adult. Imagine the shake-up inside a little toddlers heart! Perhaps your little one is looking for some security. Maybe you'll see a brand new activity or a new word pop out soon. Babies want to make sure that although they've made a major leap in their development, they're still you're baby!

Yep, it really sounds like teething.
    especially if she's already 13.5 mo and has just 2 teeth.
    it could be a BIG teething too. my daughter got all 20 of her teeth in with just 5 or 6 bouts - once she had 5 teeth coming in simultaneously! But she was done with teething by 20 months, which is quite early.
    Anyway, if you can feel her top gums seem to have teeth ready to pop, then that's probably exactly whats going on.
    You're definately on the right track for keeping up with bfing on demand.
    She could also be coming up for a growth spurt or a new behavioural development.
    Just keep nursing her and she'll go back to eating when she's ready.

Well, she's "down" to 4 or 5x during the day and 2 or 3x at night. no teeth in sight, but she's still gnawing on her thumb quite a bit. But, who ever heard of a 14m old with only 2 teeth? LOL Everything I attribute (hopefully) to teething. I'm gonna be right one of these times.

She's adding vocab like crazy around here, and then sleeping for CRAP at night when I'm not laying next to her. So I'm assuming it's a mixture of that lovely separation anxiety and skill acquisition. And maybe teething. Heh.

Thanks so much for making this thread. This is my first post here and I wanted to ask this question. My dd has not been as extreme, but she has gone from nursing 2 times a day to 3-4 times and waking for an early morning feed which has not happened in SO long. She is pushing molars through top and bottom, both sides, so I will have to say that must be the problem. I guess I just assumed she would want to bf less because it would make it hurt worse. But I guess she needs the comfort. THanks again and GL to you!

Ever wonder how moms who aren't nursing cope with the circumstances that make our babies/toddlers want to nurse more? Don't know what I would have done w/o that ace in the hole! It was so much easier to please my children before they grew big...