Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it?

Unhappy Is it worth it?

My supply has dropped significantly since returning to work, and ds only gets one 8 ounces of breastmilk per day now, the rest, unfortunately is formula supplemented. I'm wondering if it's even beneficial for him to get that little. I try to pump in the morning, at work and in the late evening, but it takes me 4-5 sessions just to make one bottle. I'm wondering if I should continue trying to pump and feed or is it too late? I am ready to call it quits because it is so frustrating. When he breastfeeds he gets so upset because there isn't much for him, there may or may not be any letdown, and he is starving! When I pump, I only get about an ounce to an ounce and a half...and pumping at work is a joke! Sometimes I can manage to get 2 sessions in, but usually it's one.
    I never thought I would see the day that I would think about needing to give up. I had grand visions of me feeding him until he was at least a year, but I never counted on work being so disruptive to it.

Just wanted to vent...

Default Re: Is it worth it?

It definitely is worth it, even if your lo is only getting one bottle of bm per day.

There are a lot of things you can do to increase your supply. Eating oatmeal for breakfast is supposed to work wonders, for example. Here is a LLL website about increasing supply:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/increase.html

I'm sure more people will chime in to let you know other ways you can increase your supply. I just wanted to tell you not to get down about it. I went back to work at 5 weeks pp and thought I was going to go crazy trying to pump enough to see my dd through the next day. I never was able to pump much, and we did supplement with formula during the day. I also nursed the last thing before I left in the morning, first thing when I got home, and very frequently on weekends and through the evenings and nights (we cosleep, so that made it much easier- I could just feed her while I slept).

As far as your pumping goes, do you have a comfortable place to do it? What kind of pump are you using? Do you get more than one let down per nursing session?

I found that after the initial letdown, if I'd pump very rapidly (I had a manual) for a minute or two I'd get a second letdown and that let me increase the amount I'd pump per session so I could pump less frequently. It really helped me, though I'd still be lukcy to end up with 6 oz by the end of the day.

Anyway, I jsut wanted to encourage you. It can be done. I've made it past a year and that's with supplementing and I know there are lots of women here who've faced similar issues and done the same without supplementing.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Wow, two letdowns? I feel lucky to get one! I have the Ameda Purely Yours pump, it's great, it's just that I am not producing much these days. At work, I usually close up my office, close the blinds and sit and pump, but the phone is always ringing and sometimes I am talking to people through the door about work stuff. So, my workplace is not conducive to pumping.

I am eating oatmeal in the morning, drinking mother's milk tea daily and even eating oatmeal bars in between meals. My breasts are so soft lately. I haven't felt engorged in a long time, even if I don't pump for 5 hours at work.

I'll be moving in 6 months, and hopefully then I will be a sahm with ds. I wonder if it's possible to re-start breastfeeding at that time, he'll be 10 months old by then.

Thanks for the response, it helps to hear from someone who has been through it too!

I think that sometimes people underestimate how hard it is to pump at work... I try to get in two sessions a day, but sometimes it is very hard and there is always someone who needs something.
    IMO, it's worth it to give your lo whatever bm that you can
    Maybe you could look into renting a hospital grade pump for a while? I hear that they can help increase your supply. Maybe your local LLL leader or an LC could point you in the right direction.
    Hang in there mama, you are doing great!
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

I noticed from your second post that you have an Ameda Purely Yours pump. I had supply problems and was relying on a loaner Purely Yours until my lactation consultant rented me a hospital-grade pump. Once I used that thing, I realized that the Ameda just didn't have enough power to boost or maintain my supply. So, in short, my suggestion is: rent a better pump!!!! Those hospital-grade models can really suck.

Every drop counts when it comes to breastmilk! It's great that you are providing your baby with the best, and I know it must be a struggle to do it while working. Hang in there!

Pumping at work is tough... Just wanted to encourage you!!! I have a single pump so I know what you mean... I am investigating renting a hospital type one, just so I can get a good supply while I am off for thanksgiving!
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Thumbs up Re: Is it worth it?

DRINK, DRINK, DRINK!!!!
    It cannot be emphasized enough. I know personally it is hard for me to drink enough at work because I get so busy but when I dont I dont produce enough milk. Also taking fenugreek has worked wonders for me, but I do take alot of it. You can do it! And He is benefiting from what you are giving him. for all the hard work!

Just want to add that I have the Ameda Purely yours too and it has work wonders for me.... I get my first let down in seconds I just set the suction to the max then when I get the let down I re-set to medium kind of 120 grades then I re-set to the max again to get a second let down .... pumping at work its not a problem for me I pump about 4-5 times cause I get all my milk out in less then 5 min... 2oz/breast .... before I used to get 10ml/day.... also I am taking lots of water and domperidone but please talk to your health care provider or Local Lider about taking anything.... anyways ... my supply had increase like that and its all worth it!!!! breast milk its not all or nothing... what ever little amount you can bring to you lo will benefitiate a lot... keep on going....

Try not to become frustrated. I too am in the same situation. Returned to work when my boy turned 2 mos. My supply dropped significantly and when at work it is hard to pump. People will knock on the door or yell through the door to me about work stuff even though they know I am pumping. People are just inconsiderate. Is there any other place you can go? I found another empty office to use and had a better amount. Right now I breastfeed once before leaving home, pump 4 times while at work and nurse baby just before bed. I use the pump one more time before I go to sleep. I might get 1-3 oz from one breast and no more than 1 oz from the other breast. Most of the milk comes out in 5 minutes. I have only experienced one time when I had 2 let downs but that was because I was on the pump for 20 minutes. You are not alone!!

Hang in there and remember everything you are doing is for your baby. Don't give up.

Have u guys try putting a sign outside the door???? I use one like people know not to interrup me.... in case any one needs me (why not there is always someone ) I dont answer the door until I am done that is my rule and by now they all understand that.... I pump in a empty office and my sign says... PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THANKS S.B. with a lot of smile faces on it..... I only pump for about 5-10 min 4-5 time at work