Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing strike????

Exclamation Nursing strike????

My DS is 8 months old, and has been a very good nurser since he was born, but I think he might be on a nursing strike?!?! Saturday and Sunday he nursed around 6:30am and then he refused to nurse until around 3:30pm, then he nursed again around 6pm and then again around 7:30. He didn't nurse again until after I was asleep, but I know he nursed during the night, as I wasn't engorged when I woke up. Does this sound like a nursing strike??? I did try to feed him more often (every 4 hours or so), and he would get *very* upset and cry and push me away. Is he just not as hungry because he's eating more solids??? I don't really know so any help would be wonderful!!!

Default Re: Nursing strike????

Yep, it sounds like a strike (which can happen for a variety of reasons.) Was there a lot going on over the weekend? How have things been today?

I work during the week so he gets EBM in a bottle, then he usually nurses around 6 or 7pm once I'm home. He did that yesterday, but he was very reluctant- I had to wait until he was fairly sleepy. What should I do??? Can I do anything since I won't see him during the day until Saturday? He has also started biting when he doesn't want the breast so that makes it all worse! I think he's teething. He had a really hard time sleeping (waking up crying for no reason etc.) last night too, so I think it must be his teeth bothering him. He still nursed through the night last night, so at least he's not striking at night.

We've also had to deal with striking during teething. Like you, DS would still nurse when he was asleep, so that is how we got through it. DH would get DS to sleep, then I would nurse him at night. I also had to get him to sleep before naps, then nurse. You might consider trying pain reliever at night to help him sleep. Hang in there! I know strikes are rough on mom!

My boy went through the exact same thing at 5 mos. It seemed to start around the time I went back to work and had to provide sitter with a bottle. Now he doesn't seem interested in nursing very much except for when very sleepy or in the middle of the night. If he goes long without a feeding he will nurse but not for too long. He's becomes angry, cries and has bit me once. I find if I wear a nursing neclace - just a neclace with bright interesting objects for him to focus on or hold - he will stay on longer. Also the days I am off I put him on more frequently instead of offering the supplemental bottle. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Wish there was a solution to the frustrating nursing strikes. It makes me feel so bad when he refuses. I look forward to the closeness and feel rejected sometimes.

Hi RockaMomma. I didn't know too much about nursing strikes until we hit a 6 week long one!! I was on here asking lots of questions about them.

I was only able to nurse DS when he was very sleepy or asleep. He would fight like hell the rest of the time. I got to the point where I decided to exclusively pump and feed him BM from a bottle, then all of a sudden he refused a bottle completely and would only nurse from me. A couple of weeks later, he is now nursing well again. He is still distractable, but I can feed him when he is awake now, which I feel is a huge achievement compared to how he was!! So there is light at the end of the tunnel. And I'm glad now that I stuck with it.

How is your DS doing now?

Hang in there!
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

Thank you all for your responses and support! I think DS is coming out of this. He nursed yesterday evening and last night normally. I won't be able to tell for sure until this weekend, but he did seem much more "normal" yesterday. So, I'm hoping we're at the end of it. JackyBoy I'm so glad to hear your DS is nursing normally again! WOW 6 weeks, you're one awesome mama for hanging in there! Hopefully we will be back to normal this weekend too! Thank you so much for all your support! I love this board, there are always mamas that will support you when you need it!