Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeps all day..Up all nigth..HELP!!

Default Sleeps all day..Up all nigth..HELP!!

Hello ladies,
    well Ive been sending lots of questions...New mommy just trying to do the right thing..My 9 week old is sleepin all day and up all night. Im sure I got her into this bad habit since I am a student and tend to do all the housework in the day and school work at night. Anyway, I am not sure how to get her out of this..Any suggesstions??

Default Re: Sleeps all day..Up all nigth..HELP!!

Sounds like reverse cycling to me. Place baby in a well lit room during the day, and do your best to be entertaining during the daylight hours. Babies are normally nocturnal at first. Sleeping at night is a learned behavior. As they get older their circadian rhythm normally adjusts to sleeping during the evening for longer periods and up for longer during the day.
    At 9 weeks you are looking at around 18 or so hours of sleep per 24 hours day.

Smile Re: Sleeps all day..Up all nigth..HELP!!

Yup, our 3 wk old son was also a little confused with his days and nights!

It's not easy on us parents. But as the other Mom who responded said, the best way to try and break the vicious cycle, is to have your baby in lots of light during the day. Like make sure your curtains/blinds are open. Try to "entertain" your lo during the day time. And even when they are "new" it's good to sort of have a nighttime/bedtime routine. Even if it's just singing a bedtime song or a nice baby massage.

They do eventually get on track. It took our daughter just about the first week at home to get it right. But our son who's now 3 wks today, he's just now getting it.

You figure they are in our tummy for nine months with no windows, so it may take a while for them to get it right!

Default Re: Sleeps all day..Up all night..HELP!!

We enjoy a warm bath and message at bed time to help relax the baby. We use herbal scents and dim the lights to set the mood.

Default Re: Sleeps all day..Up all night..HELP!!

My Lo Was The Same Way! Keep Day Very Bright And Night Dark And Quiet Do Not Talk Or Make Eye Contact With Your Lo Save That For During The Day. Also Put Balmex Or Something On Her Bottom Before Bed And Don't Change Wet Diapers During The Night Only Change Dirty Diapers. I Read This In A Book And It Helped A Lot For Me. My Lo Would Become Wide Awake After Being Changed Even If I Changed Her Quickly And Quietly. Your Lo Will Learn When Nightime Is In The Mean Time Hang In There.