Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breastmilk and solids

Question breastmilk and solids

How much breastmilk should my 6 and a half month old son be getting? I introduced solids about two or three weeks ago, He only has "breakfast" and "lunch", but I feel like my supply is going down. I work part time, and He used to drink up about 6 - 8 ounces of breastmilk, but now he drinks about 4 or five ounces. He used to wake up for night feedings but wasn`t really hungry, he just needed to fall back asleep, so I stopped offering the breast at night and now he just kind of squaks a few times and goes back to sleep...

so again... How much breastmilk should my son be getting? and is it normal for the supply to go down?

Default Re: breastmilk and solids

If you are concerned about your supply dipping, you could try breastfeeding before offering solids. That way your son will be getting most of his nutrition from the breast milk and the solids would just be a fun extra. Different babies react differently to starting solids. My lo always wanted to nurse after she ate, so I didn't have any problems with my supply when we started solids, but I know some women can. hth

I don't really know how much in ounces, sorry.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

It's very normal for your baby to drop off a feeding or two once he is getting solids so, yes, your milk supply would adjust to what he needs.

I have read that a miminal amount of 18 oz in 24 hours is enough...but how can we know? I guess we have to trust them to regulate the amount themselves....
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

I also love
    Tried to

The best way to gague is by diaper output. If the wet diapers haven't dropped off (I know when they are tiny you look for 6-7 wets, but I'm not sure what the # should be for older babies) and you are still getting at least one dirty/day (barring those constipated days) your lo is getting enough milk.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

The kellymom website has some good info on what LO's should be getting each day, in terms of ounces of breastmilk per feeding. And like the PP said, unless you are pumping all the time and can see exactly what kind of ounces are being taken in, diaper output is the best way to judge that your LO is getting enough.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

I just came here to write a post that would have been exactly like yours!

My son is 7 months old, just started solids the past month. I also work part time, and I have notice he is drinking less breastmilk--used to drink 6oz bottles now only wants 4 or 5 oz. I am also having trouble pumping the 6 oz (i am afraid to stop sending 6 oz bottles, b/c what if he wants/needs it). Not pumping enough is becoming a major source of stress for me. But, maybe he doesnt really need it and my body is adjusting to his demands.

Sorry, i can not answer your questions, but I just want you to know my son is doing the same thing!!!