Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Evening Supply Issues

Default Evening Supply Issues

My twins are 5 months old and slept 12 hours at night from about 2 1/2 to 4 months. But, for the last month they've started waking at night. They got sick and were going through a growth spurt but we are going on a month now and I think the issue is this: I think I make just about exactly what they need for the day and if they start eating in the middle of the night they drain the supply early and by the early evening they've depleted most of the milk. If they don't eat in the middle of the night there's enough to last through the day (I realize you continue to produce but you get the jist, I have a lot in the morning and by the last feed still have enough to satisfy them). I tried to get them to not eat during the middle of the night so we could get back on track, and used pacifiers. One of them made it and by the 5 a.m. feeding her diaper was barely wet. They used to have sopping wet diapers in the a.m. even after sleeping 12 hours. So, I know it's a supply issue. I tried fenugreek with my son and I got horrible migraines from it. Any other suggestions? I really don't want to supplement but I am going back to work soon and won't be able to function if I'm up 4-6 times a night for an hour at a time.

Default Re: Evening Supply Issues

Hi,

Breastfeeding works on the principle of supply and demand: the more babies nurse, the more milk you will make. Night feedings are actually a great way to increase your supply, because your prolactin--milk-making hormone-levels are highest at night. Many mothers with problems with low-supply have successfully increased their supplies by nursing frequently at night.

While it may seem counter intuitive, it is very important to remove the milk from your breasts frequently if you want to see an increase in supply. "Emptying" the breasts is what signals to your body, "it's time to make more!". You may want to even ditch the pacifiers all together and allow your babies to do all of their sucking at the breast. This should build your supply quite quickly.

As to your question about fenugreek, many mothers have found it to be helpful, but most women don't need it if they are using good breastfeeding management techiques from early on. Fenugreek will only help if you are frequently removing milk from your breasts. An IBCLC would be a good source of information about fenugreek. LLL leaders are not medical professionals, and therefore cannot give advice about herbs or other galactogogues. HTH.

Hang in there!

Tiana