Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How else can I increase supply?

Default How else can I increase supply?

AFter a rough start, I'm pretty much EBF my 3 1/2 week old. I've been trying to increase my supply for about 1.5 weeks, though. I was taking fenugreek (3 capsules 3x a day) for about a week, then switched to a tincture that includes fenugreek, goat's rue, and blessed thistle.
    I'm BF at least every 3 hours, and pumping, as well.

When I pump (instead of BF), I only get about 2oz, whereas I was getting 2.5 - 3oz BEFORE starting the pumping/herbs.

He never seems satisfied, even after 30-45 minutes of nursing!

I don't know what else to do to increase my supply, though.

I BF my first child very successfully for almost a year (he's now 5). Then, I BF my twins for 6 weeks (they are 3.5 now). So I know that I can do this. I just can't seem to get my supply where it needs to be!

Default Re: How else can I increase supply?

Well he maybe sucking for comfort at this age...mine was glued to my breast!!! You may not have a supply issue. If you are not ready to introduce a pacifier, try using you pinky finger, (nail side down)...

When taking the fenugreek did you smell like maple? I have never taken it, but mommies say that's how you know you are taking enough. You can also try oatmeal... but the best things is keeping baby at the breast
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

My DD was also glued to the breast at that age. 3 hours would have seemed like an eternity. She wouldn't go longer than 10 minutes without crying for the boob and she stayed that way for a couple months probably. She wouldn't take a pacifier so she made me one, but now I see that she was just trying to build a good supply for us.

Anyways, as the pp said, nurse nurse nurse! To get that much when you pump is actually really good IMO. I would have the have two or three pumping sessions before I could get that much when my daughter was 3 months. How much you get when you pump really has nothing to do with how much your baby gets. Try to relax, nurse your baby, and keep up the good work:tumbsup
    ~Proud AP Mama To Natalie Ann *7/9/06* & Isabella Faith *7/6/09*~

Quote Originally Posted by Shans4boysak View Post
    AFter a rough start, I'm pretty much EBF my 3 1/2 week old. I've been trying to increase my supply for about 1.5 weeks, though. I was taking fenugreek (3 capsules 3x a day) for about a week, then switched to a tincture that includes fenugreek, goat's rue, and blessed thistle.
    I'm BF at least every 3 hours, and pumping, as well.

When I pump (instead of BF), I only get about 2oz, whereas I was getting 2.5 - 3oz BEFORE starting the pumping/herbs.

He never seems satisfied, even after 30-45 minutes of nursing!

I don't know what else to do to increase my supply, though.

I BF my first child very successfully for almost a year (he's now 5). Then, I BF my twins for 6 weeks (they are 3.5 now). So I know that I can do this. I just can't seem to get my supply where it needs to be!
    I love it: A mom of twins that survived it well enough to have another one! I hope to follow in your shoes! (Mine are 11 months today!)

What indications do you have of low supply?

- The amount you get when pumping isn't an accurate estimate of how much your baby gets when nursing.
    - A fussy baby isn't necessarily still hungry. (Like previous posters mentioned, he might just like the comfort of the breast.) My babies turn really fussy at about 3 weeks and stay that way until 3 months! My solution: Attach them to the breast!
    - Are you supplementing with bottles? Remember, babies will take bottles of expressed breastmilk or formula even with a full tummy.

It might help to chart (if you're not already). You can tell your baby is getting enough milk if:
    - He nurses as often as he wants, at least 8-12 times per day.
    - He has 3-4 messy and 6-8 wet diapers per day.
    - He gains weight appropriately.

Maybe seeing this on paper will help you realize that your body is making enough!

Let us know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by mpoulson View Post
    I love it: A mom of twins that survived it well enough to have another one! I hope to follow in your shoes! (Mine are 11 months today!)

What indications do you have of low supply?

- The amount you get when pumping isn't an accurate estimate of how much your baby gets when nursing.
    - A fussy baby isn't necessarily still hungry. (Like previous posters mentioned, he might just like the comfort of the breast.) My babies turn really fussy at about 3 weeks and stay that way until 3 months! My solution: Attach them to the breast!
    - Are you supplementing with bottles? Remember, babies will take bottles of expressed breastmilk or formula even with a full tummy.

It might help to chart (if you're not already). You can tell your baby is getting enough milk if:
    - He nurses as often as he wants, at least 8-12 times per day.
    - He has 3-4 messy and 6-8 wet diapers per day.
    - He gains weight appropriately.

Maybe seeing this on paper will help you realize that your body is making enough!

Let us know how it goes!
    I'm still surviving twins! LOL! It gets easier...sort of!

To be honest, though, I guess I really don't know if I have a low supply or not. Originally, the nurse practioner suggested the fenugreek to increase my supply NOT because it was low, but because my son wasn't gaining weight as quickly as we all would have liked. He was having trouble getting the milk out, and the NP thought maybe if my supply increased some, he would have an easier time. Then, I went to a LC. She thought the same.
    However, we were also having latch problems, which have improved greatly. He is gaining weight, has LOTS of messy diapers (more like 6!) and does nurse between 8 and 12x a day.
    Maybe it's not a supply issue after all.

I know that after the horrible time I had nursing my twins, my confidence in breastfeeding is at an all-time low.

I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, and let him nurse whenever he wants, and try to have confidence in the process.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Shans4boysak View Post
    I'm still surviving twins! LOL! It gets easier...sort of!
    Glad to hear that. Some days I wonder...

Actually, my life is slowly returning back to normal, whatever that means with kids!