Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will I ever NOT have to use Nipple Shield??

Default Will I ever NOT have to use Nipple Shield??

I know this is like my 4th post already! but I really love this site! everyone is so helpful!
    Anyways, bfing has been kind of challengin for us from the beginning. She had alot of weight loss in the beginning now at her last appt. she was gaining fine....and we were only using the nipple shield about half the time...if that. Now it seems she will not latch onto my breast! But the nipple shield she will. She just kind of licks at my nipple. And as soon as she starts nursing she falls asleep right away. I'm just worried she's nto getting enough and Im also wondering if she'll ever not have to use the shield?? Please help!

Default Re: Will I ever NOT have to use Nipple Shield??

If your baby is having problems latching, then she will prefer the nipple shield, but I dont think its a really good idea for her to get too used to it.
    Take a good look at your positioning. The baby should take the whole nipple deep into her mouth - you can hold your breast with a firm grip behind the nipple, so it's easy for the baby to get a big mouthfull.
    If you keep having problems, see someone about correct positioning and latch. You shouldnt need a nipple shield at all, ideally.

I used the nipple shield at first, too. This is what I did to wean her off of it:

start w/ the shield and then take it off when she is getting into the feeding. mine took the nipple at that point.

express milk so she is tantalized by your nipple and then get her to latch

help by putting your nipple into her mouth

I heard that cutting away a little bit at a time from the shield works, too

sometimes i have to use the shield to remind her not to click - doesn't really work; helps a little, though

I also was using a nipple shield with my son-he refused to latch on at birth-think it was due to being given a pacifier before I was allowed to BF him. Anyhow, it took us about 2.5-3 months to wean him from it completely. I'd start out with the shield, and then take it off, switch breasts, juggle him around, do whatever I could to get him to latch on. Once he got it, it was great, and he nursed until he was around 1!!!

we used the shield for only 4 days and i had no problems latching her on to the breast or anything. My advice would be to just keep trying at every feeding and not get too anxious about it. If she is gaining well/ good output, it is working fine for you, so just keep trying to latch her without the shield (or latch her with the shield, and when letdown happens, slip it off and try to re-latch her) i have actually heard of someone using a shield for her whole nursing experience (almost a year!) and had no problems with it. The main thing is your DC is getting themilk . so keep trying and trying, but try not to get too worried about it!

Just my opinion........

i used nipple shields right through for my son was never able to get him to nurse without. breasts too big nipples too small he couldn't get tem in his mouth. I now have to use them with my daughter as well. As long as baby is gaining weight I would try not to get worried. I have heard that sometimes milk decreases when using shields so try pumping after baby is done nursing.

My dd is 8 mos. and we still use the shields 100% of the time - I too wanted her off at an earlier age but after a ton of soreness that just would not go away, I have given up trying and think we will just continue to use them until she is weaned. I know many other moms who were able to get their dc's off the shield though - I actually was able to get dd off the shield, but then I'd get super sore. So, we're keeping them for me, not her. But I have been really careful to watch her weight gain - one lc told me that if there was milk visible in the shield when she was done eating that it was a good sign that it was not reducing my milk supply and that she was getting enough. And her weight is good.
    My dd would fall asleep while feeding up until 4-5 mos and I would often sit there for a block of 3-4 hours with her alternating between sleeping and feeding. Perhaps you can compensate for the shorter sleepy feeds by feeding more often? I know it's hard with so many things to do, but man, I wish I had that time just to sit there now that's she's crawling!
    Good luck!

we used the shield for about 2 months before sucessfully weaning. in the weaning process, these are the steps that i took:

after a while, i only used it at night when i was too tired to fight with him. during the day, i used every ounce of patience (and alot of pain-induced tears) i had to take him off until he got a good latch.

i used my fingers to open his mouth as wide as i could and used the other hand to squeeze my areola and shove it into his mouth.

i also found that if i got him to tip his chin upwards, he opened his mouth wider and would reach for my nipple which helped with the latch.

if you are willing to take the pain, you could leave the shield at someone else's house and force both of you to do without. i accidentally did that (i left it in another state!) after we had made significant progress, and it forced us to turn that final corner.

good luck. the shield is a hassle, and i hope that you get off of it for your sake more than for you daughter's, but at least you are persevering and she is getting the milk.