Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomorrow is Monday and no supply

Default Tomorrow is Monday and no supply

I have been back to work for a week and LO was struggling taking the bottle so I have been just pumping and only giving bottles. By Friday he had become a champ at taking the bottle. The problem is AF came and now my supply is worse than before. I only get one chance to pump while working an 8 hour shift so that has made it worse also. Well, I planned to only pump this weekend, but that has not happened. I am taking 5 fenugreek 3x a day and also drinking mother's milk tea, still only getting maybe 2 ounces. I have no milk to leave tomorrow when I return to work. Any suggestions so I can fix this by the end of the week?

Default Re: Tomorrow is Monday and no supply

I really don't like oatmeal. I am not sure what power pumping is, can you explain? I am not sure how much he needs because I have not measured and was only nursing while off of work. I saw a post that said 1 to 1.5 oz per hour, so I am guessing 8 to 12 oz.

Thanks for the link. LO is 8 weeks.

For an eight week old baby, 2oz per pumping session is average. The key is to discover how many times per day you need to either nurse baby or pump to keep up a full supply, and then do whatever it takes to hit that "magic number". It seems like you are having a hard time finding time to pump, so your solution might be to nurse more often when you and baby are together, bringing baby to bed with you to nurse at night, or finding a way to have baby brought to you at work so that you can nurse on your break. You might also look into a WhisperWear pump--it is worn under your clothing so that you can discretely pump throughout your work day. It works for some mothers in work situations where it is hard to find time to pump.

HTH. Hang in there!

Tiana

Unhappy Re: Tomorrow is Monday and no supply

Okay, this is an update...No good news. This week I went from not taking a break in an eight shift to 2 breaks back to no breaks. And on top of this I cannot leave to nurse my baby because there is no coverage. PLEASE HELP I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TO SUPPLEMENT. I nursed my daughter until she was one. I feel like I am cheating my son. I am taking fenugreek, mother's milk tea and even eating oatmeal cookies. I do not know what else to do to up my supply. When I do get a chance to pump my son is eating that before I can get him more.

What to do?

I looked into the whisper wear but I see a lot of bad reviews and it looks huge. I work at a front desk how realistic is that pump? Can I use it while sleep? I just need MAJOR help.

It's either pump more or quit my job (which would not be a bad thing), but no, really I need my job. SO I need more milk like yesterday.

I know I only a couple of hours have gone by, but I am desperate....Can someone help?

Just want to send a . It's so tough, but you're doing GREAT!!!

Can you take a few 5-10 minute "bathroom breaks" while at work. Even if you get a few 5 minute pumps that's better than nothing!

What pump are you using?

I used a hospital pump for a while, a Medela Symphony, and it worked GREAT!!! Definitely recommend a hospital grade pump to increase supply. I'm now using a Medela PISA and it's FANTASTIC too!!! Everything fits into one very portable bag. I highly suggest an electric double pump. When you pump it's best to do both breasts at one time, which can increase your supply!

If you can't pump enough at work, how about pumping more at home? I'm a SAHM and I EP, so I know what it's like to have to find every spare second at home to pump. I highly suggest you get a hands free setup! You don't even have to buy one.

Here's a link on kellymom about hands free using hair ties: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/h...e-pumping.html

If that setup doesn't work for you, I would suggest taking an old sport type bra and cutting out just enough to slip in the breastshield and hold it in place. I bought an Easy Expressions bustier and halter and love them. Here's a link to their site if you're interested. Or at least the pictures are a good reference if you make your own!

http://www.easyexpressionproducts.com/

If you can't pump at work, you can pump a lot at home with hands free. Here are just a few things I do: Pump every time I eat, pump while you play with LO, pump while coming to the LLL site LOL, pump while changing a dipe, I pump every time I feed LO. You could pump one side while feed LO on the other side. Basically anytime you will be in one spot doing something, you can hook up and pump!

You can power pump as PP mentioned. This is when you mimic a growth spurt with your pump. Take 1 hour and pump for 10 minutes, rest for 10 minutes, then pump for 10, etc.

HTH! Feel free to PM me anytime if you need help or support! Keep up the good work, you're doing GREAT!!!

You could also try to see if your baby would be willing to learn to "reverse cycle"--that is, you bring baby to bed with you and baby nurses frequently throughout the night while you both sleep. Babies who learn to reverse cycle often eat very little during the day while seperated from mother. Then, when you pick up baby from your caregiver, you can go back to nursing like crazy.

The Whisper Wear certainly isn't for everyone, nor does LLL endorse pump brands. I just wanted you to know that it was an option. I know anecdotally of mothers who have been in very breastfeeding un-friendly workplaces (very short or no breaks, tough working conditions, etc) who have had success with the Whisper Wear. If it is a choice between no pumping at all or pumping with the Whisper Wear, it may be an option worth considering.

HTH. Hang in there,

Tiana

I am just starting to take my baby to bed with me. I had thought I would get no sleep. This isn't true. TRY IT!!! It can salvage your BFing relationship.

I am not sure how to use the quotes in a post so I will reply as much as possible. First, thanks for the support.

I have a Medela PIS that I use at home and a Ameda Purely yours that I use at work. I brought the PIS to avoid the cost of renting a hospital grade pump. I did use a hospital grade pump with my last child, it went well, just found it kind of annoying to lug that huge thing around and although I work for a hospital a lot of people thought it was unusual to bring the pump. It was like I was making them uncomfortable. This time I really don't care, so I may have to look into renting for a month until my supply goes up.

I plan on pumping ALL weekend except for the couple of hours I will be in class this weekend. I am going to go crazy and drink as much mother's milk tea and take as much fenugreek as I can remember. I hope this helps.

I am still on the line with the whisper wear. I am not sure if I want to spend the money for that. I am just going to see if all this pumping and nursing this weekend will help.

Also, I was thinking of trying to pump atleast once an hour. Is that too many times? I think I will try the power pumping also. Does anyone have some kind of schedule they use to pump? How many sessions are you getting in one day?

Once again THANKS for all the support.

Oh, yeah, I was wondering does stress REALLY lower your supply?