Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Counteracting antihistamine

Default Counteracting antihistamine

My doc prescribed an antihistamine for a VERY itchy rash & I'm worried about a decrease in my supply. I am extremely allergen-sensitive (hence the rash) & worry about starting a supplement as I do have food allergies. I kinda feel like I'm in a no-win situation.

Default Re: Counteracting antihistamine

Could you tell us the name of the antihistimine? We could then tell you what possible side effects there are.

The basic thing to know is to drink plenty (antihistimines are drying), and nurse often.

Sorry, forgot to include the name the brand is Atarax I think the actual drug is Hydroxyzine. Thanks!

From LactMed:

Hydroxyzine
    CASRN: 68-88-2
    For other data, click on the Table of Contents

Drug Levels and Effects:

Summary of Use during Lactation:
    Small occasional doses of hydroxyzine would not be expected to cause any adverse effects in breastfed infants. Larger doses or more prolonged use may cause drowsiness and other effects in the infant or decrease the milk supply, particularly in combination with a sympathomimetic or before lactation is well established. Single bedtime doses after the last feeding of the day may be adequate for many women and will minimize any effects of the drug. The nonsedating antihistamines are preferred alternatives.

Drug Levels:
    Maternal Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.

Infant Levels. Relevant published information was not found as of the revision date.

Effects in Breastfed Infants:
    There are no reports of infants breastfed during maternal therapy with hydroxyzine. In one telephone follow-up study, mothers reported irritability and colicky symptoms in 10% of infants exposed to various antihistamines and drowsiness was reported in 1.6% of infants. None of the reactions required medical attention.[1]

Possible Effects on Lactation:
    Antihistamines in relatively high doses given by injection can decrease basal serum prolactin in nonlactating women and in early postpartum women.[2][3] However, suckling-induced prolactin secretion is not affected by antihistamine pretreatment of postpartum mothers.[2] Whether lower oral doses of antihistamines have the same effect on serum prolactin or whether the effects on prolactin have any consequences on breastfeeding success have not been studied. The prolactin level in a mother with established lactation may not affect her ability to breastfeed.

AAP Category:
    Not listed, but the antihistamines dexbrompheniramine and triprolidine are rated as usually compatible with breastfeeding whereas clemastine is rated as associated with significant effects on some nursing infants and should be given to nursing mothers with caution.[4]

Alternate Drugs to Consider:
    Desloratadine, Fexofenadine, Loratadine

References:
    1. Ito S, Blajchman A, Stephenson M et al. Prospective follow-up of adverse reactions in breast-fed infants exposed to maternal medication. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1993;168:1393-9. PMID: 8498418
    2. Messinis IE, Souvatzoglou A, Fais N et al. Histamine H1 receptor participation in the control of prolactin secretion in postpartum. J Endocrinol Invest. 1985;8(2):143-6. PMID: 3928731
    3. Pontiroli AE, De Castro e Silva E, Mazzoleni F et al. The effect of histamine and H1 and H2 receptors on prolactin and luteinizing hormone release in humans: sex differences and the role of stress. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1981;52(5):924-8. PMID: 7228996
    4. American Academy of Pediatrics. Committee on Drugs. The transfer of drugs and other chemicals into human milk. Pediatrics. 2001;108:776-89. PMID: 11533352

Substance Identification:

Substance Name: Hydroxyzine

CAS Registry Number: 68-88-2

Drug Class:
    Antihistamines

Administrative Information:

LactMed Record Number:

Last Revision Date:
    2006-04-10

Disclaimer: Information presented in this database is not meant as a substitute for professional judgment. You should consult your healthcare provider for breastfeeding advice related to your particular situation. The U.S. government does not warrant or assume any liability or responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the information on this Site.

HTH,

Tiana

Smile Re: Counteracting antihistamine

i also take anti-histamine zyrtec i am counteracting it with fenugreek so far it has been working. also trying odwalla superfood drink.