Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Could we have thrush?

Unhappy Could we have thrush?

We went to the doctor today and he noticed DD (2 weeks old) has a white residue on her tongue. he commented though that it just looked like milk residue and not thrush. But then, i heard (on another site) that if it is still there 1 hour after feeding, it is thrush. She has *always* had a white tongue (since we began Bf'ing) i have no symptoms of thrush myself, but am worried about DD. will this cause her discomfort what should i do? does it sound like thrush? i am so worried about it now..

anything would be helpful..
    Thanks.

Default Re: Could we have thrush?

Hmm, well you both could be asymptomatic, I would just watch her, a more reliable place to look would be under the her lips, lift them up and look there, also in the pockets of her cheeks. If nothing there then I would not worry about it, your symptoms would be like a shooting pain through your breasts, painful latch, etc...

I think a white tongue residue is very common. I haven't read that about the one hour so I'm not sure. If you don't have any symptoms and baby doesn't appear to be in pain or upset then I wouldn't worry too much. If she were in pain from thrush she'd likely be pulling on and off the breast and fussing/crying during feedings.

I was told that you can have (and the baby have) thrush without any pain. I was told that in that case, its not important to treat it if there's no pain.