Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Eliminating dairy

Default Eliminating dairy

Well, Waylon has become more and more fussy over the past weeks so I am going to do it--eliminate dairy. Any hidden foods you experienced mamas can recommend avoiding? What about eggs--are they related?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Default Re: Eliminating dairy

Eggs are not a dairy food, but some babies are sensitive to the Mother eating eggs (Daniel was, but only if I ate fried eggs, scrambled eggs, etc. He was fine if there was an egg in a cake and I ate a slice).

The allergy ladies have some good resources on finding the hidden dairy on ingredient lists. From what I understand dairy can take weeks to fully be out of your milk.

We found it helpful to eliminate soy and dairy at the same time. As they often go hand in hand as it is a Milk/Soy Protein Intolerance (MSPI) as opposed to basic lactose intolerance that a lot of adults deal with.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Sigh--what will I eat? Even our bread has whey . I did it with Haylee--I guess I'll have to be creative.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I went on the elimination diet. It was tough, but we made it. Can you get rice milk there?
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Some resources with info on "hidden" souces of milk (and other ingredients if you need the info):

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=12208

http://foodallergy.org/downloads/HTRLsheet.pdf

http://www.kellymom.com/store/freeha...en-dairy01.pdf

Going totally dairy free was a big adjustment for us because I'm one of those cooks who previously put butter and/or cheese in and on everything.

With all the foods that have milk products that you don't expect - the first few times I tried going grocery shopping I was literally in tears.

We're now 2 mo into a total elimination (meaning reading ingredient labels) of dairy (and a couple of other things that DS is allergic to) and its gotten to be "normal".

If you can't find groceries that work for you where you shop - I've heard great things about ordering foods from the allergy grocer.

Please do come over to the allergy part of the forum - lots of great advice and even more important, lots of fantastic support from other moms who have BTDT.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Erin, I am doing the same thing again. I swear, this is not a case of Single White Female, but you know the parallel things happening in our lives are spooky!

With Kate, I only had to cut out milk, which is what I'm trying again this time. It is very obviously still in my system, b/c Norah is still a maniac.

With Kate, I swear I could eat nothing for the first 3 to 6 months. I never considered eggs, I eat scrambled eggs for breakfast most days...I hope letting the milk go clears it up.

She was settling down a bit, for a moment, but now it's on, constantly, crying all the time, and my Lord, I can't take it.

Today, for the first time Kate asked to nurse again, she said, "Kate do it" while Norah was nursing, so I opened up my bra on the other side and made the offer. She saw milk leaking out and yelled, "milk yucky, no mama, no nimple (nipple)," while she lifted my bra over the exposed nipple. A little OT, but thought you might appreciate.

I'll let you know if I see any improvement in my lo, you do the same.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    Any hidden foods you experienced mamas can recommend avoiding? What about eggs--are they related?
    I read the ingredient labels on EVERYTHING because milk products are very widely used (including in several brands of soy cheese!).

Eggs are not related to dairy - but they are one of the "top eight" allergic foods:

milk
    egg
    peanut
    tree nut
    fish
    shellfish
    soy
    wheat

Oh - and if you're thinking about trying other types of milks (such as goats milk), the recommendation is to NOT do that because many people who react to cow milk proteins also react to goats milk.

The other good advice I picked up from somewhere was if you're doing an elimination to NOT substitute soy milk (and other soy products) for cow milk because soy is also in the "top eight". So I guess what happens is the mom eliminates all dairy but LO doesn't get any better because he is reacting to the soy.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Head on down to the allergy section momma, read all the stickies and just to answere the quick question, Sarah Lee Honey Wheat bread does not have dairy and Smart Balance LIGHT is dairy free but not soy free-
    Have you given the Zantac enough time, atleast 2 weeks, stinks when you elminate and do too much at once, then something works and you are to nervous to try to see which one it really is so you have to stay off of everything..
    I have always said, ediets and stuff like that are grounds for weaning for many mommas, not that I think you would do that, but I don't encourage it unless all other options have been exhausted..I hate to see you go this route when you have so much other stresses going on right now....