Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Crying fits every evening!

Default Help! Crying fits every evening!

I need to know what is causing my 6 week old daughter's crying fits every single evening. Last night, she got so hysterical that her little arms and legs were stiff straight while she screamed. She acts hungry, rooting and what-not, but when I try to feed her she sucks a few times then lets go and screams. I sometimes wonder if it's gas, so I try holding her upright, maybe with a little bouncing action. Sometimes I get a burp but sometimes not. Just more screaming. I try laying her belly down on my lap, rubbing her back and swaying her from side-to-side. This doesn't help either. There are only two things I've found that calm her down: a warm bath (sometimes with me and sometimes just by herself) and drinking from a bottle. She doesn't have problems nursing. She has a perfect latch and has since the very beginning. I have had no problems with supply, in fact I've had an oversupply problem in the past but have gotten over it. I still have an overactive letdown, but that's usually only when I haven't nursed or pumped for a few hours. I do pump daily, because my daughter must take a bottle a few times a day. I think she's doing fine both with a bottle and at my breast. But in the evenings, she is so fussy at my breast. Like she wants it, but doesn't want it. She also takes a binky a few times a day, and really likes it. But she has also shown times when she does not want it by spitting it out over and over again until we get the idea!

She is so fussy in the evenings that I don't mind her drinking my milk from a bottle if that is what is going to calm her down. I am just afraid that my supply will decrease if she isn't actually nursing more. I try to pump during the times she drinks from a bottle, so my breasts stay on track with her.

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Default Re: Help! Crying fits every evening!

It's normal for babies to have fussy periods each day, especially in the early evening.
    At 6 weeks, it could be part of a growth spurt too.
    One thing that has worked for me was baby massage. I got a book from the library on how to do some simple techiques, and if she is particularly fussy, I strip her down to a diaper and massage her with some lavender lotion. Usually calms her right down.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Here is a link that helped me, I also have a 6 week old with very similar behavior, HTH!

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

it'll get better

My lo is almost 4mo and he has that fussy period...between 5 - 7. I try to make sure I can have that time devoted to him..to hold, rock, kiss and what ever else he wants.. When he was that small, skin to skin worked best....
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Colic? My first had this big time. Every evening, like clockwork, for about 2-3 hrs she would fuss, scream and carry on for no apparent reason. Colic peaks around 6 weeks and is usually gone by 3 months, but it can be very frustrating and trying for the parents. DH and I took turns a lot during this period to allow for breaks. Fortunately, it was our first dd and we didin't have another lo running around. Also, fortunately, dd#2 didn't have this problem. Have you read "Happiest Baby on the Block" yet? It SAVED us.

Amy

My guess is colic too. DS started what you just described around week 4, but it really became apparent at 6 weeks, this lasted for several weeks. Then it was on and off until he was 4 mo. Some babies get fussy during the evening, but I think how you can differentiate between being fussy and having colic, is the uncontrollable, inconsolable cry . Also check his tummy, is it hard? My niece also suffered from colic and she used to cry from midnight until 6am for 2 weeks straight! The timing sometimes changes from evening to afternoon to middle of the night for example. I suggest you read up on colic and see if you find any similarity in the symptoms.

Here's some that I founds:
    Signs and symptoms
    A fussy baby doesn't necessarily have colic. In an otherwise healthy, well-fed baby, signs of colic include:

Predictable crying episodes. A baby who has colic often cries about the same time every day, usually in the late afternoon or evening. Colic episodes may last anywhere from a few minutes to three hours or more on any given day. The crying usually begins suddenly and for no clear reason. Your baby may have a bowel movement or pass gas near the end of the colic episode.
    Intense or inconsolable crying. Colic crying is intense. Your baby's face will likely be flushed, and he or she will be extremely difficult — if not impossible — to comfort.
    Posture changes. Curled up legs, clenched fists and tensed abdominal muscles are common during colic episodes.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/col...058/DSECTION=2
    Last edited by selina21; October 28th, 2007 at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    Here is a link that helped me, I also have a 6 week old with very similar behavior, HTH!

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

it'll get better
    definately check out this link. It is VERY common for babies to do this. My son would be fussy/crying for over an hour or two at night, until one day it just stopped. I didnt even realize he had stopped being so fussy until a few days had passed, and I was like "wow what happened?!" (he stopped around 3 months)
    But like a previous poster mentioned, there is a growth spurt around 6 weeks too, so keep that in mind!
    I'm sorry you are going through this, but all I can say that it DOES get better!!! Hang in there, the first weeks are so tough, but you'll find each day gets more rewarding and much more easier to get through.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

While I am certainly no expert, it sounds like you have a very similar issue to the one I was having with my LO. She will be 7 weeks old on Monday. I saw some information on Foremilk/Hindmilk imbalance, and I noticed that it matched a lot of the symptoms she was experiencing. I also noticed that she is perfectly happy first thing in the morning, but as the day went on, she got increasingly upset and fussy. I decided that she must be getting so much foremilk during our early morning feeds when I have SOOOOO much milk - and it was upsetting her tummy and beginning a cycle which would escalate throughout the day until she was really hurting by that evening.

Again, I am no expert, but after just a couple of days of pumping off some foremilk prior to nursing during the early morning hours, she is WAY better. It might be worth a try...

Good Luck and God Bless!

Do you have OALD? I know with my son, he would scream and refuse to nurse on my right side (which I have major OALD) and would only nurse on my left side (when he was tired...not when he was awake during the day).

I finally would just nurse him on the left side only when he was tired...and we had no problems. As he got older and learned how to control the letdown/OALD, he'll nurse on either side with no issues.