Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too much/too little

Default Too much/too little

Hi,

I'm still hanging on nursing a 5+ month old with a milk supply that fluctuates wildly. I started from the beginning w/ too much, then I think I get too full, overregulate, then xtra nursing/pumping to get back to normal and I am oversupplied again. It is an emotional, frustrating ride. My lo suffers a lot with feast or famine, ugh.

I am in a lot of milk right now and I'm trying to figure out why/how I overregulate and how I can prevent it this time.

Since my son is older he's only eating ~5-6 x/day. I have enough milk right now that he just takes one breast (and doesn't even always empty it) at each of these feedings. He's also a 12-13 hr night sleeper, and eats once or twice at night.

So...during the day he's eating maybe every 2-3 hrs from one breast. But then there are huge gaps on each breast b/c of the xtra milk...for instance:

2nd to last feeding before bed: ~3pm (right b)
    last feeding before bed: ~5pm (left b)
    first feeding at night ~10pm (right b)
    2nd feeding at night ~3am (left b)
    first morning feed ~6:30am (right b)

So, you can see that each breast goes like 7-8 hours w/out emptying...twice in a row. Needless to say I'm pretty engorged and have gotten mastitis, etc.. And he used to just wake up once at night and I would be going 12+ hr. stretches. (until my supply tanked and he started having to wake up at night to eat again and now he's used to calories at that time).

I know w/ block nursing you are supposed to be conservative and going 8 and 12 hr. stretches can really dramatically affect the supply. So I wonder if that's what's happening when I overcorrect? I do express to comfort (actually I never really feel uncomfortable which makes it tough).

Should I pump once at night to counteract the effect of too-long blocks? Maybe keep up the one-breast feeding during the day but then empty th unused breast at night feedings so I'm not overdoing it?

Help!!! I am so desperately terrified of swinging low again that I would rather get caught in a pumping cycle than starve my baby. I've only been in this megamilk state for less than a week now and I anticipate another dramatic swing low if I just follow his pattern and stay overfull this much.

Desperately seeking advice!

Default Re: Too much/too little

Hi ,

Do you think you could convince your son to take shorter, more frequent feedings? That would probably increase the amount of hindmilk he gets and decrease your feelings of engorgement. 5-6 feedings per day is pretty few for a 5 month old baby (although, not outside the realm of normal, so if he refuses to feed more frequently, don't panic ). When your baby nurses, does he seem full and satisfied when he is done? Is he having plenty of diaper output?

You sound concerned that your supply has gone too low now that you are block feeding. If you are engorged, I would say that is doubtful. If you are engorged, there is milk in the breasts that needs to be removed. Prolonged engorgement can lead to a reduction in supply, but will usually lead to mastitis first, so try not to go that route--ouch! The idea behind block feeding is that you would leave your breasts full enough that your hormones signal to your body, "don't make so much, there's already plenty here". In your case, it would seem that your breasts are overfull. Can you hand express to the point that they don't feel engorged anymore?

I hope that makes some sense. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Tiana

Thanks, Tiana, let me clear up some things...I may have explained my problem not-so-clearly! I appreciate your willingness to help so much.

First off, I'm full of milk right now, but haven't always been and fluctuate back and forth. I'm not intentionally block feeding, but it just happens that way right now b/c he will only eat one breast at a time (and fills up on it, but doesn't always act happy at the end and then is hungry again in 1.5-2hr, so that's why I'm pretty sure it's oversupply, esp. since he's been xtra gassy lately.) I realized that he does eat more like 6-8 times per day. But only one breast at a time, and not even always the whole thing, esp. in the morning.

I have no idea on output. He's gone from having exploding diapers to just a couple small poops depending on my milk status. Although right now surprisingly he's not having megadiapers even though I have a lot of milk. I had swung too low after getting too engorged for too long (and getting mastitis) and started feeding at night again...more than I had ever fed at night even when he was a newborn...and my body went into overdrive.

Quote Originally Posted by LLLTiana View Post
    Hi ,

You sound concerned that your supply has gone too low now that you are block feeding. If you are engorged, I would say that is doubtful. If you are engorged, there is milk in the breasts that needs to be removed. Prolonged engorgement can lead to a reduction in supply, but will usually lead to mastitis first, so try not to go that route--ouch! The idea behind block feeding is that you would leave your breasts full enough that your hormones signal to your body, "don't make so much, there's already plenty here". In your case, it would seem that your breasts are overfull. Can you hand express to the point that they don't feel engorged anymore?
    So to clarify...I know I have plenty right now, but my issue is that if I just follow my son's pattern and don't do any pumping, he sleeps so long that each breast ends up going a looooong time w/out emptying, like up to 14 hrs (since he's only eating on one breast in the middle of the night b/c I'm full enough that he only wants to take one). Every time I've let myself go that long--even if I avoid engorgement by expressing every few hours during that span--I end up with too little milk--it seems my body really lowers the supply with that much infrequency. So it might make sense to pump in the night so I'm not going so long...but right now I have too much milk for him in general and pumping seems like a bad idea. So I guess I'm wondering if I can continue one-breast/block feeding during the day to try to lower supply and still pump during the long night to avoid such a long span without emptying and if that's a reasonable plan for evening things out. If I don't pump at night it's as if I'm doing 12-14 hour block feeding, which is too much and I go too low! I think...

Unfortunately it would be easiest for me to just give him an xtra feeding at night, but he really needs his uninterrupted sleep. He is a real basket case when I've had him up xtra at night to eat...crabby, waking himself up pooping in the middle of the night, and not a happy guy. So I've tried that route and won't go there again!

Thanks for any help!
    Amy

Amy - I am the same emotional roller coaster right now, and I cannot tell you how frustrated I am becoming with this nursing experience. I wish my body could just get it right....one week too little, the next way too much. My lo is almost four months old and I think we have only had about 2-3 weeks of NORMAL milk supply in his life!!

And the worst part of the "too much" phase is the gassiness -- it is horribly painful for him!! Disrupts our sleep--- and then makes him cranky....

I think I overcorrected as well...he then started waking up at night a lot....and then I cut down on my blocks....and now wow--- I am in milk overdrive!!!

For any others out there....is there a magic way to tell when to reduce the # of hours for each block?? I am really frustrated with the roller coaster!!

The other major problem, is that the baby almost always refuses to "work" at the breast. He is so used to getting the milk without any effort, that when the breast is a little emptier....he gets angry and will not take it even though he is hungry. But he really needs that part so he can get the fatty milk.

I hope this gets better for both of us (and our little ones) reallly soon!

Okay, I think I'm starting to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by amyswint View Post
    First off, I'm full of milk right now, but haven't always been and fluctuate back and forth. I'm not intentionally block feeding, but it just happens that way right now b/c he will only eat one breast at a time (and fills up on it, but doesn't always act happy at the end and then is hungry again in 1.5-2hr, so that's why I'm pretty sure it's oversupply, esp. since he's been xtra gassy lately.) I realized that he does eat more like 6-8 times per day. But only one breast at a time, and not even always the whole thing, esp. in the morning.
    When he is hungry again in 1.5-2 hours, are you putting him back on the same breast, or are you switching to the other side? Putting him to the same breast will insure that he get's plenty of hindmilk and may eliminate the fussy, gassy symptoms. Remember, though, that there are other potential causes of fussy/gassy/colicky symptoms--so if that doesn't seem to help, there are other things you could try.

I have no idea on output. He's gone from having exploding diapers to just a couple small poops depending on my milk status. Although right now surprisingly he's not having megadiapers even though I have a lot of milk.
    It might be a good idea at this point to count wet/poopy diapers for a couple of days. A baby who is getting enough milk should be having 6-8 wet cloth/5-6 really wet disposable diapers and about 1-3 bms per day. At this age, bm frequency can vary, so volume is important. If baby is only having one bm every 1-3 days, it should be very big, and not at all hard.

So to clarify...I know I have plenty right now, but my issue is that if I just follow my son's pattern and don't do any pumping, he sleeps so long that each breast ends up going a looooong time w/out emptying, like up to 14 hrs (since he's only eating on one breast in the middle of the night b/c I'm full enough that he only wants to take one). Every time I've let myself go that long--even if I avoid engorgement by expressing every few hours during that span--I end up with too little milk--it seems my body really lowers the supply with that much infrequency.
    What is happening that leads you to believe your supply is going too low when you do this?

So it might make sense to pump in the night so I'm not going so long...but right now I have too much milk for him in general and pumping seems like a bad idea. So I guess I'm wondering if I can continue one-breast/block feeding during the day to try to lower supply and still pump during the long night to avoid such a long span without emptying and if that's a reasonable plan for evening things out. If I don't pump at night it's as if I'm doing 12-14 hour block feeding, which is too much and I go too low! I think...
    I don't think there's much harm in trying this if you want to. Oversupply can be pretty individual, and some mothers find that any amount of pumping sends them into overdrive, so it's really hard to tell how it would effect you. Are there any other times of day that you are pumping?

Unfortunately it would be easiest for me to just give him an xtra feeding at night, but he really needs his uninterrupted sleep. He is a real basket case when I've had him up xtra at night to eat...crabby, waking himself up pooping in the middle of the night, and not a happy guy. So I've tried that route and won't go there again!
    You certainly need to do what is best for you and your baby, so I understand. Have you thought about bringing him to bed with you to nurse at night? That might help you both get more sleep and deal with your engorgement problem.

HTH. Hang in there!

Tiana

When he is hungry again in 1.5-2 hours, are you putting him back on the same breast, or are you switching to the other side? Putting him to the same breast will insure that he get's plenty of hindmilk and may eliminate the fussy, gassy symptoms. Remember, though, that there are other potential causes of fussy/gassy/colicky symptoms--so if that doesn't seem to help, there are other things you could try.
    Tiana, thanks! Well, I have definitely had some tapering happen by just switching breasts w/ each feeding, so I was scared to move to the 2hr blocks before I saw if just going back and forth solved things. If he doesn't finish a breast when he wakes up first thing is that a sure sign of oversupply? Or could he just be a snacker and take a little and then want to tank up a little later with more? Also, do non-oversupplied people usually feed on two breasts per feeding, or is is possible to one-breast feed all day w/ a normal supply?

It might be a good idea at this point to count wet/poopy diapers for a couple of days. A baby who is getting enough milk should be having 6-8 wet cloth/5-6 really wet disposable diapers and about 1-3 bms per day. At this age, bm frequency can vary, so volume is important. If baby is only having one bm every 1-3 days, it should be very big, and not at all hard.
    Thanks, I was wondering about this. When I am 'low' I often think his output is down, but it's so hard to tell b/c his bms have been so irregular b/c of the shifting supply. All I know is that when I thought I was a bit low for one period of time he was pooping almost once a day, and it wasn't really huge, and he was gaining at a little less than 1/2 oz. per day. The ped wasn't too worried b/c my lo started out as a huge guy and the ped suspected he was just slowing down. But since I know my supply felt low and I sensed quite a few non-satisfied feedings, I think the milk was shy.

Today and yesterday he had two huge diapers twice each day. So he's getting *way* enough lately...they are always yellow never green, never frothy. But they are more liquidy than seedy and seem a little mucousy, but not too bad. I just notice that he grunts a lot lately...I can't figure out if I'm overfeeding him (I've NEVER been able to read his hunger signals well which is part of why we're always messed up!), or if I'm oversupplied. Ugh.

What is happening that leads you to believe your supply is going too low when you do this?
    Great question, and that's what I ask myself all the time...maybe I'm just crazy insecure (and there has been some of that), but when I am almost certain it went too low basically he would clean me out at every feeding (and I mean I would switch him back and forth 2-3 times) and would eat as often as he could; fussy all day, and waking up more at night. Also lower diaper output. Also this happened after I started following him and stopped doing any pumping and going so long at night and I got mastitis...the supply just seemed incredibly low while I was dealing with that for several weeks before I finally went on antibiotics. Also, he would seriously drain each breast in ~2 minutes at each feeding.

I don't think there's much harm in trying this if you want to. Oversupply can be pretty individual, and some mothers find that any amount of pumping sends them into overdrive, so it's really hard to tell how it would effect you. Are there any other times of day that you are pumping?
    Nope, not now. Lately I've tried pumping just a couple ounces off each breast before I turn in just to have a little something happening in case he sleeps a really long time. I still a little oversupplied, but it doesn't seem too bad.

You certainly need to do what is best for you and your baby, so I understand. Have you thought about bringing him to bed with you to nurse at night? That might help you both get more sleep and deal with your engorgement problem.
    I've thought about it but we've come so far w/ getting him to sleep in his crib and he is just not a baby who knows how to sleep in our bed...I've tried to lie down with him a few times and he really doesn't know what to do..just seems stimulated by the new experience, and anyway our bed is too small and soft for a baby. And I'm terrified of never being able to get him transitioned back to the crib...I guess it's not our family's style, even though it does sound appealing.

One thing that's really worrying me is that all this seesawing for nearly 6 months, all the confusion of figuring out if he's hungry or not, all the screaming at too much or too little milk, me offering him food too often or not reading him right when he is hungry...I feel like it has definitely hurt our relationship and feeding is not a peaceful thing for him. We have been so housebound dealing with breastfeeding all of this time I think it's not great for our mental health or his development...some days all we do is have conflict about eating. I even notice some signs of poor bonding sometimes like him pushing me away, avoiding eye contact a lot, etc. We are stressed so much. I just worry about long-term problems with having not been able to meet his needs peacefully. Is this kind of feeding relationship issue common? Sometimes I don't know if I'm doing him more harm than good.

Thank you Tiana!

HTH. Hang in there!

Tiana[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by amyswint View Post
    If he doesn't finish a breast when he wakes up first thing is that a sure sign of oversupply? Or could he just be a snacker and take a little and then want to tank up a little later with more? Also, do non-oversupplied people usually feed on two breasts per feeding, or is is possible to one-breast feed all day w/ a normal supply?
    Not necessarily. It is more of a milk storage capacity issue (having nothing to do, by the way, with breast size). Many babies can be completely satisfied drinking from only one breast per feeding. Switching breasts during a feeding is also very common and normal. It really depends upon you and your baby. If baby is satisfied at only one breast per feeding, that's absolutely fine.

Thanks, I was wondering about this. When I am 'low' I often think his output is down, but it's so hard to tell b/c his bms have been so irregular b/c of the shifting supply. All I know is that when I thought I was a bit low for one period of time he was pooping almost once a day, and it wasn't really huge, and he was gaining at a little less than 1/2 oz. per day. The ped wasn't too worried b/c my lo started out as a huge guy and the ped suspected he was just slowing down. But since I know my supply felt low and I sensed quite a few non-satisfied feedings, I think the milk was shy.

Today and yesterday he had two huge diapers twice each day. So he's getting *way* enough lately...they are always yellow never green, never frothy. But they are more liquidy than seedy and seem a little mucousy, but not too bad.
    This pooping pattern sounds very normal to me. It is quite common for size an frequency of bms to vary. If your baby seems uncomfortable, fussy, or sick, that's a whole other matter.

I just notice that he grunts a lot lately...I can't figure out if I'm overfeeding him (I've NEVER been able to read his hunger signals well which is part of why we're always messed up!), or if I'm oversupplied. Ugh.
    Here's an exerpt from the AAP Policy Statement on Breastfeeding about hunger cues:

Excerpt from "Recommended Feeding Practices": Newborns should be nursed whenever they show signs of hunger, such as increased alertness or activity, mouthing or rooting (Gunther 1955). Crying is a late indicator of hunger (Anderson 1989). Newborns should be nursed approximately 8 to 12 times every 24 hours until satiety, usually 10 to 15 minutes on each breast (De Carvalho et al 1982; De Carvalho et al 1983).

Pediatrics December 1997
    Great question, and that's what I ask myself all the time...maybe I'm just crazy insecure (and there has been some of that), but when I am almost certain it went too low basically he would clean me out at every feeding (and I mean I would switch him back and forth 2-3 times) and would eat as often as he could; fussy all day, and waking up more at night.
    This sounds like a growth spurt to me...although, feeling "full" all the time really isn't normal, and it is quite common for mothers to switch sides during feedings. If baby is feeling fussy, he may be nursing more for comfort than anything else.

Also lower diaper output.
    Just fewer bms, or fewer wet diapers as well? The amount and frequency of bms can vary significantly and still be "normal". Fewer than 5 wet diapers per day would be a problem, though.

Also this happened after I started following him and stopped doing any pumping and going so long at night and I got mastitis...the supply just seemed incredibly low while I was dealing with that for several weeks before I finally went on antibiotics.
    Many moms have noticed a temporary drop in milk supply after a bout of mastitis. Milk production usually picks back up after mom has been feeling better for a few days.

Also, he would seriously drain each breast in ~2 minutes at each feeding.
    Again, sounds pretty normal to me (do I sound like a broken record yet?).

Lately I've tried pumping just a couple ounces off each breast before I turn in just to have a little something happening in case he sleeps a really long time. I still a little oversupplied, but it doesn't seem too bad.
    I'm glad this seems to be working for you.

I've thought about it but we've come so far w/ getting him to sleep in his crib and he is just not a baby who knows how to sleep in our bed...I've tried to lie down with him a few times and he really doesn't know what to do..just seems stimulated by the new experience, and anyway our bed is too small and soft for a baby. And I'm terrified of never being able to get him transitioned back to the crib...I guess it's not our family's style, even though it does sound appealing.
    No problem! Co-sleeping isn't for every family or even for every baby. It sounds as though you are doing what gets everyone the most sleep, and that's what's important.

One thing that's really worrying me is that all this seesawing for nearly 6 months, all the confusion of figuring out if he's hungry or not, all the screaming at too much or too little milk, me offering him food too often or not reading him right when he is hungry...I feel like it has definitely hurt our relationship and feeding is not a peaceful thing for him. We have been so housebound dealing with breastfeeding all of this time I think it's not great for our mental health or his development...some days all we do is have conflict about eating. I even notice some signs of poor bonding sometimes like him pushing me away, avoiding eye contact a lot, etc. We are stressed so much. I just worry about long-term problems with having not been able to meet his needs peacefully. Is this kind of feeding relationship issue common? Sometimes I don't know if I'm doing him more harm than good.
    Can you tell me a little more about your feeding patterns? Have you been trying to feed on a schedule, on demand, or a combination of some kind? What specifically is happening when you try to feed him that makes you believe you are not reading his cues right?

I can assure you that doing your best to meet his needs is not doing him more harm than good! It can be hard sometimes to read hunger cues, especially if we have been programed to believe that a baby "should" eat every so many hours, for so many minutes on each breast. Crying is a late indicator of hunger--conversely, crying doesn't always mean that baby is hungry. I realize this post is getting really long, but allow me to present a couple of examples:

1) Baby "A" wakes up in his crib. He starts to roll around and opens his eyes. He's feeling hungry, but not so hungry that he is desperate. He starts to smack his lips, and then puts his fist to his mouth. If mom hears the movement and lip smacking, comes to the crib, picks up baby and nurses him right away, she will have met his need for food before he started to cry. On the other hand, if she waits until he is crying loudly before she comes to feed him, he may be to upset to nurse right away. She may have to hold him for a while, rock, or walk him before he calms down enough to nurse.

2) Baby "B" wakes up in her crib. She's feeling lonely and has just wet her diaper, so she starts to cry. Her mother comes to get her, and attempts to nurse, but baby refuses. Mother starts to rock, walk, sing, but none of this seems to help much. Then, mother checks her diaper and realizes it is wet. She changes the diaper, and then baby starts to calm down. Mother is now able to nurse baby back to sleep.

Does that help at all?

Thank you Tiana!
    You are so very welcome. You're doing a great job, mama. You've got to believe that.

Tiana
    Last edited by LLLTiana; October 31st, 2007 at 07:39 AM.

Tiana,

Thanks, that was helpful. If you have time I hope you don't mind just a couple more ?s/info.

1. He's definitely been feeling uncomfortable after some feedings lately, grunting and gassy. Last night I had a ton of milk for some reason and he took in a huge amount off of just one breast and today he had two giant diapers that were filled with *huge* gobs of mucus and smelled strongly. Other diapers have been a bit mucus-y but not that bad when I wonder if I am oversupplied (because I feel full and come close to engorgement at night).

2. I have always been a one-breast feeder...until I feel that my supply drops 'low' and then he begins draining both FULLY at feedings, and still being hungry (I think) in less than 2h (and this lasted for a month or so...not just a growth spurt). I guess I just never know if the switching to two breast feeding is a sign of things going low. When I am two-breast feeding, one really fills up...not engorged, but full feeling, by the time he gets to it. When I've had supply changes, I just feel more empty all the time and he takes both breasts. So is the one-breast situation a case of too-much milk? Or is it just impossible to tell.

3. Yep, familiar with all of those ideas about hunger cues, but I had a crier! He just cried constantly and I never could discern rooting or any of that. I just offered him milk constantly and I think I fed him a lot of times when he was crying for other reasons (like being tired...in hindsight). Now at almost 6 months I still don't see him show any hunger cues and the only time I'm sure he's hungry is when he starts to get fussy/cry on days when he's had good naps so I know it's not tired crying. So, I basically just offer him food at those times, and before and after naps. I think I offer more frequently than he is hungry, actually, but find if I don't offer before a nap, he might wake up from the nap hungry b/c he had last eaten a while before the nap started. I definitely think the dynamic is that I'm offering too much and at times when he's not hungry...and so he gets really mad and screams at me when I try to nurse him sometimes. But he also gets mad sometimes when he is very hungry if I haven't figured it out soon enough and then he is really disorganized, crying, and mad at me and won't nurse. Add to that...if we go out anywhere, he will be so engrossed/distracted/interested in what's going on that he will not even cry about hunger for a loooong time. Then, the minute we walk in the door he screams and was clearly starving for a while, but won't nurse right away b/c he's so hungry. So, the hunger cue thing is a little messed up.

4. He certainly had 5 wet diapers a day during the 'low' time but the amount of wetness definitely went down. But I can imagine with oversupply there could be an excess of wetting, so that doesn't tell me much.

5. 2 minutes to *completely* drain the breast to the point of no more swallowing is normal?? I thought even when they 'get efficient'
    it is more like 5...

6. Can you tell me a little more about your feeding patterns? Have you been trying to feed on a schedule, on demand, or a combination of some kind? What specifically is happening when you try to feed him that makes you believe you are not reading his cues right?

Yes, I think explaining our pattern might be helpful. I try to demand feed, but as I explained earlier I have trouble w/ the hunger cues, so I also look at the clock and try to be especially observant of him if 2hrs have passed.

So, the way it usually works (when I have too much milk?) is...

-He goes to bed w/ a feeding at about 6pm and pretty much cleans me out of both breasts (some nights he does some he doesn't)
    -He might eat at ~12am and again ~3-4am; I have gotten very full by midnight and he just takes one breast. At some point in the night I have to pump or express or I am too full.
    -He wakes around 6 but won't eat right away...gets fussy around 6:30am and takes some off of one breast, but doesn't even finish the whole breast.
    -About an hour and a half later he is fussy again and takes a bigger meal. I've tried giving him the other breast at this feeding and I've tried re-giving him the first breast until it's finished...not sure which to do.
    -Before his ~9am nap I see if he'll take any more; sometimes does sometimes doesn't. I still have lots of milk at this point and he couldn't comfort suck if he wanted to.
    -I feed him when he wakes up if he's interested, or just wait til he seems interested.

And so on throughout the day. When I have what I think is an about right supply, I feed him on one breast all morning and by afternoon I am feeding him on both. So it always seems like I have to have way too much in the morning and at night in order to have enough in the late afternoon/evening. If I am low enough to not feel full and to be feeding off of both breasts in the morning, then he doesn't seem satisfied come afternoon. So I just never know how to judge which situation is actually normal!

Well, we'll make it! I have started offering less lately and I do sense that's he's a bit less frustrated with me not shoving a breast in his face all the time!

Thanks, Tiana. You are so helpful!! And encouraging.

One more piece of data! I forgot to mention that when I was sure I was too low, I would not even get very full after going 10 hours at night! It was scary...he would drain both sides in the first feeding and be hungry again soon.

thanks!

Hi Amy,

It seems to me that you may have several different things going on at once here. I can understand your fatigue and frustration .

~It is likely that you have, as you suspect, been dealing with oversupply on and off. You seem to be getting an handle on it, though. Many mothers with oversupply learn to forget about the clock and "go with the flow", feeding baby on whichever breast feels fullest at the moment. If baby wants the second breast, fine--if not, that's okay, too.
    ~Have you considered the possibility that your baby may have allergies? Many mothers find that their babies are sensitive to something they are eating--usually cow's milk proteins/dairy products--but there are other culprits worth considering. This may account for the uncomfortable, mucosy stools, and the fussy behavior--particularly his apparent "love-hate" relationship with the breast. Check out our Allergies forum for more information and support from other mothers who have btdt.
    ~Last but not least, you may have what LLL likes to refer to as a "High Need Baby". Some babies are just more fussy in terms of temperment, and seem to need more from their mothers--more rocking, walking, nursing. High Need Babies can be absolutely exhausing to parents, and it is really important that you surround yourself with supportive and encouraging people...and stay away from those who want to blame you, or breastfeeding for babies problems. The LLLI approved book, The Fussy Baby Book by Dr. William and Martha Sears would be an excellent resource for you to consider.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask any further questions you need. And definitely post on the allergies forum! Those ladies love to help.

Hang in there,

Tiana