Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not so much a challenge..

Default Not so much a challenge..

but just a question. My son seems to have some heat rash around his neck and chest area. Is this normal from pretty much being under my very hot breasts almost constantly? I have nursed him quite a few times naked which I would assume explains his very upper chest... I am just wondering if it is normal for them to break out from the skin to skin contact and if anyone has any suggestions to help keep it under control?
    He is 9 days old.

Thanks!
    Christine
    lots of for the cloth dipes!
    Sara Elizabeth 5.25.04 and Holden Joseph 10.18.07

Wife to Eddie. <3

Default Re: Not so much a challenge..

thanks for the congrats!!
    and i did put lotion on him however it seems that it got worse after the lotion. i put the lotion on because his skin was looking pretty dry. i do believe i remember all of this with my daughter when she was so new but it was over 3 yrs ago now so its a bit foggy.
    Christine
    lots of for the cloth dipes!
    Sara Elizabeth 5.25.04 and Holden Joseph 10.18.07

Wife to Eddie. <3

Mine has that breakout too (he was born Sept 10)...I think it's pretty normal given that they're skin and oil glands are still trying to even out their functions....I just try to give my little guy a bath or a shower every 2-3 days and that seems to help his skin....my ped said it would even itself out in time

Could be baby acne also. My DS had little pimples all over his face, upper chest and arms. Everyone thought it was heat rash, but it was acne. He grew out of it, and I did nothing other than bathe him.
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

My son had what looked like a heat rash too, but I supposed it was part of the baby acne he got on his face and it eventually went away. I didn't necessarily treat it with anything. Just made sure I wiped the area a few times a day with a warm, wet washcloth. Kept it dry.

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

it is prolly from your skin against his skin, your oil and his oil clogging his pores. ds got baby acne pretty bad from that early on. a nurse/lc i talked to said that it could also be his body trying to get rid of my female hormones that he got while still in the womb- if thats true or not, just what she said

Could it be from a reaction to lotion/soap that you are using? Babies have very sensitive skin so if you are using a perfumed lotion or soap it may be irritating him.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lois
    Cushie Pushie Breast Support Pillow
    The Cushion the Pushes You Up for Breastfeeding Moms, Breastfeeding gift baskets

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~