Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: clear bubble on nipple

Default clear bubble on nipple

My baby was born tuesday and due to some prematurity we're having trouble (still hasn't latched on) so I've been pumping every three hours around the clock. My milk started coming in yesterday but I only get about 2-3 oz after 15-20 mins of pumping.
    After I finished a bit ago I noticed what looked like a perfectly round water droplet on my nipple. When I touched it I found that it was solid like a blister. It doesn't match the descriptions of milk blisters I found while googling in that it is not white and it does not hurt and I don't see a "plug" of any sort.
    I have a call in to an LC and an appointment with one Monday but in the meantime, I'm wondering what it is and if it's safe to try to put him on that breast or to pump from it. It doesn't hurt, as I said, but I'm afraid that his suckling attempt or the pump could "pop" it.
    Any thoughts? Help please!
    (I'm going to have lots more questions for the preemie board... my poor little guy only gets his breast milk from a bottle so far !! I guess the important thing is that he gets the milk.)

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: clear bubble on nipple

I'd say it's perfectly safe to feed from the breast with the bubble. If it is a blister, it'd be good that it pops. I've had a the same blister come back again and again, and it's good that it pops or it'll cause a clogged milk duct, which hurts!

Btw, the amount you're pumping for this early is great. Don't go overboard on pumping though, or you may end up with an oversupply like I did.

How are things going now?

Not so great. The blister, which turned out to be water blisters, multiplied on both breasts but they don't last long before popping. They are the least of my problems now. After a week of offering the breast at each feeding and meeting with an LC, my baby will not latch onto my breast. At least, not for me. When we saw the LC she got him right on and he nursed for 15 minutes and I was so thrilled. I asked what she was doing that I wasn't, and her answer was "Oh, I've just been doing this for 100 years." Not helpful. Now I know he CAN do it and it's something I'm doing wrong and I feel awful. I keep trying, using all the techniques I read about, but he just won't get on there right. When he does, it's four or five sucks and he pushes me away or falls asleep.
    I pump after every failed feeding attempt and get plenty of milk, anywhere from 1.5 to 3 oz., so he's getting only EBM, no formula. I guess that's good, but I wish he'd get it from me and not the bottle. Using the pump causes me awful waves of depression, I assume from the hormones it releases. Didn't have that bad feeling when he was nursing.
    Anyway, thanks for asking how I'm doing. Probably got more of an answer than you bargained for!

Keep working on the latching. It is normal for it not to be easy. I know that it seems as though something that is so "natural" would very easy, but it takes a lot of practice and patience to get your lo to latch etc.

As for the blisters, it is okay for them to pop, etc. You might even get a tiny bit of blood with it from the irritation. Putting olive oil on the area can help out.

With the depression, I don't know how much of that is from the pumping. I would honestly guess that it is baby blues kicking in. That should pass with time.

Just remember, that it will get easier with time and practice. Good luck!