Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: NICU baby mouth too small for my nipple yet

Default NICU baby mouth too small for my nipple yet

My 25 weeker Penga is almost 36 weeks (10 1/2 weeks in NICU). We've been kangarooing and there have been great development on the part of Penga as to knowing and liking my breasts (she roots for, licks & suckles my breasts.)

Now doctors are talking about starting nippling. I wished that the first nippling experience for her to be on my breast, but due to the size mis-match (as per VERY supportive LC - my nipples are too big (I'm using size Large (27mm) frindge for pumping) for little Penga's mouth (Penga is still under 4 pounds) ,) we plan to start finger-feeding her. Once her mouth is big enough, we will try to have her latch-on and drink BM from me. It seems though bottle-feeding is probablly unavoidable at sometimes in the process.

As per LC, Penga will needs at least another 2 weeks or so for her mouth to be a good match with my nipples.

My question is:
    Can we wait to start nippling for another 2 weeks? As per LC's assessment, Penga's sucks are good but uncordinated (which is typical of preemies). I know most preemies start nippling between 32 and 35 weeks and it is normal for them to take time learning suck-swallow-breath coordination. It is also normal for them to get supplemental BM after BF sessions.

Penga is still getting oxygen through nasal cannula (still HHNC - high humidity (and high flow) nasal cannula).

I will appreciate any comments/suggestions, as well as plain support for Penga & my growing breastfeeding relationship. Thank you!

Default Re: NICU baby mouth too small for my nipple yet

I don't have any advice for you my preeemie wasn't in the NICU. But she did have a very hard time latching on. I used a nipple shield for about a month before she was able to latch on to me. Maybe this is an option for you? That way she can still be on your breast. I don't fully understand the situation, but you can ask LC if the shield is an option, it helped me immensley! good luck!
    Proud wife to Pete, 5-9-04
    Proud 1st time mom to Lilly 2-1-07 born at 36 weeks, 5lbs 1 oz, au natural!

http://www.lillybugdesigns.com
    Handmade accessories for mom and baby
    All made with love, and by hand[/COLOR]

Default Re: NICU baby mouth too small for my nipple yet

Quote Originally Posted by rlabelson View Post
    I don't have any advice for you my preeemie wasn't in the NICU. But she did have a very hard time latching on. I used a nipple shield for about a month before she was able to latch on to me. Maybe this is an option for you? That way she can still be on your breast. I don't fully understand the situation, but you can ask LC if the shield is an option, it helped me immensley! good luck!
    Thank you for your advice! The day after I posted the original message, my Penga managed to latch on! Since then, I have been struggling with a stubborn doctor who are pushing for bottle-feeding while minimizing breastfeeding. So I haven’t had LC to check her latch yet/haven’t been able to BF with Penga for two days. When I can, I will try nursing her without shield, but I will keep shield as an option.