Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping into storage bags?

Default Pumping into storage bags?

I would like to start pumping directly into milk storage bags. I like the idea of not having to pour the milk into multiple containers and lose all the good stuff from the milk.

Does anyone here have experience with that? What kind of bags do you use? I saw Medela made bags with little straps to help, but they were expensive! How do you manage to attach it to the pump? Do you just hold it on there?

Just for the record, I have a Ameda Purely Yours and I like to use the Lansinoh bags. Any tips would be appreciated!
    Proud Mama to Noah Michael and Baby Charlie

Default Re: Pumping into storage bags?

Take the lansinoh bags, put them up as far as you can where the bottle goes, and tape them in place. I tried the medela bags and guess what, the little straps are a piece of tape. Just don't tip them over .

I used the medela bags for awhile. You have to open the zip lock & put the connector part into the bag -- make sure the valve is totally covered. The yellow strip unfolds & you loop it over the top of the breast sheild/flange -- the part that comes off your breast. One side of the strip has sticky tape that connects to the other side of the bag. It's kind of a pain because you have to rip that yellow strip off when you are done.

I have also used Bailey bags. They were nicer b/c they had a coated wire closure -- like a bread tie. So they easily connected to the pump parts & when you are done you roll the bag down & seal in with the tabs.

In the end, I went back to bottles. I found the bags to be too wasteful & had too many spills. But you have to do what works best for you!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by citymamany View Post
    I used the medela bags for awhile. You have to open the zip lock & put the connector part into the bag -- make sure the valve is totally covered. The yellow strip unfolds & you loop it over the top of the breast sheild/flange -- the part that comes off your breast. One side of the strip has sticky tape that connects to the other side of the bag. It's kind of a pain because you have to rip that yellow strip off when you are done.

I have also used Bailey bags. They were nicer b/c they had a coated wire closure -- like a bread tie. So they easily connected to the pump parts & when you are done you roll the bag down & seal in with the tabs.

In the end, I went back to bottles. I found the bags to be too wasteful & had too many spills. But you have to do what works best for you!

Good luck!
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

I'm pumping (medela pump in style) directly into Lansinoh bags. I put a rubber band on the spot right above where the bottle would attach. Then I put the bag over the bottle connection while sliding the rubber band over the bag to hold it in place. The band only touches the outside of the bag to avoid any contamination. I've pumped up to 4 ounces this way and the rubber band holds the bag in place perfectly.

And like april213 said, you have to remember that your bag is open at the top.

I actually prefer pumping to the bags because they are flexible and I don't have to sit up quite so straight with them.

A little off-topic but I have some Lansinoh bags that I got with my nursing pads if anyone wants them...I use Medela. They haven't been opened and I don't know how many are in each but I have 3! PM me if you want them!
    Sarah, mom of :
    Allie Shannon-8-31-07--7lbs. 1 oz