Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will my Supply decrease if....

Default Will my Supply decrease if....

I give my LO formula while at daycare, and not pump at work, and just feed him after work and through the night to the morning????

I have returned backk to work for about 3 weeks now, and I have only been able to pump 1 time consistently. I usually nurse between 5 & 6 am, drop LO off around 8am then pump a 5 -7 oz bottle around 12 noon. Then pick up LO from daycare around 3:30, then pump around 4pm (he usually has just completed his feeding at 2:45 - 3), then nurse for the rest of the night until the next morning. My schedule at work is kinda crazy and I do alot of driving and sometimes it's hard to pump. I have tried to get in 2 sessions at work, but I am only able to get 1 pumping session in. I have been thinking of offering formula only (i have started mixing 1/2 soy with 1/2 bm when I didn't get a chance to pump enough for the next day) during the day when he is at daycare, but I am afraid that it will decrease my supply at night.. SShould I continue with my current schedule (It is impossible to add another pump session at work) or just take away the bm while I am at work??

Default Re: Will my Supply decrease if....

Hi.
    So the unfortunate truth is that every time you reduce the demand for milk from your breasts they produce less. So if you are asking what will happen if you fail to pump for (assumption here) 9 hours the answer is: you will make less milk. In order to preserve your milk supply its important to replace the missed signals of nursing.
    You didn't mention how old your baby was.
    From the reading I've done, I can reiterate that many women who pump are able to maintain a good supply of milk for their babies despite only pumping at a noon break. It keeps the breast from sitting there, full of milk all day. As time goes by, its possible you may experience a dip in your supply, and you will be greatful for the additional milk you are able to produce.

Have you though about investing in a hands free bra? It allows for milk removal with you hands free to eat or whatever

Could you pump in the morning? Many mothers find that they can pump a bit extra in the mornings. You might even find it easy to pump on one side, while your baby nurses on the other.

I would also suggest that, if you can manage it, keep the one pumping session while you're at work. This will assure that your breasts are emptied, leaving less risk of plugged ducts and mastitis. And, of course, you'll have ebm for the next day.

Finally, I would suggest asking the caregiver to switch your baby's feeding schedule so that he's not eating so near the time that you pick him up. That way, you could even nurse upon pick-up, thereby decreasing the total number of ounces you would need to pump for the next day.

Does any of that sound like it might work for you?

I would try to keep pumping as much as you can at work, dropping stimulation during the day will decrease your overall milk supply, and your lo is still increasing his demands for milk at his age.

Thank you ladies. I will try to pump at least once durng my work day. I really enjoy bfing & i dont want to lose my sopply.

There have been times (about 2twice a month when I don't feed my baby or pump at all) and he gets formula and solids. I'll go around 15 hrs sometimes without letting the milk out. But I can't say for sure if it has a detrimental affect on my supply or not. It's not like the milk just completely dried up.

Hey girly!!! Glad to see you are still are bfing... keep the one session... and the morning sessions are the best... I can sometimes get 4-5 oz out of one breast in about 5-7mins..
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

am pumping gives me quite a bit just before i leave the house. it takes me longer to wash the pieces after than the actual pumping! and i do the one time at work too, it's all i can manage. sometimes, if i am up late i will pump before bed. but i'll admit that session is often dropped due to exhaustion!

I work almost the exact same schedule as you....LO goes to daycare from 7:45 until 3:15, so almost the exact amount of time. She used about 12 ounces of formula/bm during this time (2 6 oz bottles).

One suggestion would be to nurse again closer to the time you leave for work, if at all possible. I nursed at 5-6 am and then again at 7:30, right before we left the house. That helped dd not need anything at daycare until 9:30ish. Then she got another bottle about 12:30. After 2, the dcp knew not to feed her so that I could nurse when I got home, and she was really good about using other methods to comfort when it got close to time for me to get home from work.

Unhappy Re: Will my Supply decrease if....

I am in a similar situation. My daughter is almost 7 months old and I have been back to work for 4 months now. For a month after I went back I was able to pump twice a day. Now I don't get that chance anymore. I only pump once at 4:30 in the morning before I go to work (I get about 4 oz) and then again around 5pm when I get off work and then I nurse in the evening. I try to nurse exclusively on the weekends but I'm afraid she might not be getting enough. I really love bfing and don't want to stop despite the difficulty. I am now taking Fenugreek in the hopes of increasing my supply. Any advice or thoughts?
    Last edited by matsamjobuz; November 4th, 2007 at 12:03 AM. Reason: added amt of milk I am able to pump.