Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: should I pump?

Default should I pump?

After I nurse my 1 month old I still feel like my breasts are still full. She actually only nurses one breast at a time and for only 5 to 10 minutes. Should I pump? I know she is already satisfied coz she delatches and if I try to put her back on she cries. I'm afraid I might get a plugged duct. Don't know what to do...

Default Re: should I pump?

Well, My LO would nurse only one side at a time and still does most of the time now (he's 14weeks). I would be tooo lazy to get up and pump the side that he didn't nurse on. So, I just made sure to alternate my breast. It seems to work out fine. I haven't had any problems with my breast at all.

If you really feel like your breasts are getting hard, or hot to touch it probably is time to pump. But only a little bit. Too much pumping causes the breast to think you have a really hungry baby, and more milk is needed. Does that make sense? At four weeks your body is still learning how much milk to make, and it's important to allow your body to figure it out without too much interference.

Now if you don't have a rock hard breasts or discomfort, Do Not Pump . Its normal to have heavy, full breasts in the beginning of your nursing relationship. Another piece of information is that you could pump all day and still have milk in the breast. They never empty all the way. Don't bother trying. If baby is happy, and you're not in pain or discomfort, leave it be.

Thank you for your all your input. It really helped.