Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Salmon

Default Re: Salmon

Yep - I know exactly what you mean.
    Being a mainly fish and rice eating country, I'm sure there are some other good fish food sources available that are much better for you. To get good amounts of Omega 3, you can buy capsules that are made with Wild Alaska salmon...I'll try and find some for you....Here are some Alaska Sockeye capsules. You could get something like this and open the capsules up and add to your food if you wanted to have extra Omega 3 in your diet.

Alternatively, you can eat more flaxseed oil or any of the other foods I've listed below.

Foods high in Omega 3:
    Flaxseed oil (flaxseed oil has the highest linolenic content of any food), flaxseeds, flaxseed meal, hempseed oil, hempseeds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, Brazil nuts, sesame seeds, avocados, some dark leafy green vegetables (kale, spinach, purslane, mustard greens, collards, etc.), canola oil (cold-pressed and unrefined), soybean oil, wheat germ oil, salmon, mackerel, sardines, anchovies, albacore tuna, and others.
    One tablespoon per day of flaxseed oil should provide the recommended daily adult portion of linolenic acid, although "time-released" effects of consuming nuts and other linolenic-rich foods is being studied, and considered more beneficial than a once-daily oil intake.
    Flaxseed oil used for dietary supplementation should be kept in the refrigerator or freezer, and purchased from a supplier who refrigerates the liquid as well.

Just FYI - Dr. Sears says not to give fish until 1 year, and kellymom says not until 2-3 years. And I believe then you're supposed to start with "white" fish. This said by the mama who has already give her LO tilapia!

KellyMom says to avoid fish until 2-3 years for the allergic infant. If your child is not prone to food allergies, or has tried it with no reaction then by all means go ahead and feed it to your LO. I believe fish is lumped in with shellfish in this regard as shellfish can be highly allergic.

IMO, wild salmon is a better alternative to grain fed beef and battery hens - all of which are raised with unnatural sources of food (grain fed beef are fed ground corn, as are chickens - their bodies can't process corn and the animals are therefore pumped full of antibiotics and drugs to assist in digestion).

I urge you all to read "The Omnivores Dilema", and you'll see why.

Most other food warnings regarding fish pertain to the fact that some species have high levels of mercury. Fish species high in mercury and that should be avoided at all costs include swordfish, some shark species, king mackeral and tilefish.

Wild salmon have one of the lowest ratings of mercury and are by far the safest choice, as are shrimp, pollock, and canned light tuna.

ETA: I totally disagree with you about 'white fish first'...where did you find this info?

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/sol...ntholdbaby.htm

Took me forever to remember where I read it!

ETA: It's wierd though, because on Dr. Sears' site, he mentions tuna and salmon when introducing fish, and doesn't say a word about fish and shellfish being different under the allergy section (which I can tell you for sure is, because DH can eat fish, but is allergic to shellfish). Hmmmm...
    Last edited by mama_p; October 28th, 2007 at 01:54 PM.

Wow! Well, regardless I still disagree with this!

Honestly, I take more stock in what Dr. Sears says than this other site. I just gave the tilapia because we were eating it, and haven't had salmon since DD hit the 10 mo. mark because there hasn't been any "wild alaskan" at our grocery store!

It's funny that Dr Sears says that introducing fish before an infant in 12 months can lead to fish allergies later in life. Here in our community, the cost of living is 60% higher than in the lower 48 and we live a subsistence lifestyle. Our community, and many more others in Alaska have done so from the beginning of time. Fish is a staple in our diet, and is one of the first foods Peter was introduced to. It was important that he learn to like it, as he would need to be able to eat a lot of it. We eat fish 5 times a week here. At least.

Places like Malaysia eat mainly fish and rice. That is their staple, and it seems outrageous to me that they should not be feeding their babies fish until at least 12 months. Not one child in our community is allergic to fish that I have ever heard of, and all of the babies here are raised with salmon in their blood! Halibut too.

Anyway - just venting, and not at you Kelly - I just get frustrated when I read stuff like this.

Totally OT now, but I find all the "lists" of what you can and can't feed your LO annoying. There are things that it does make sense to wait on, especially if allergies are a worry, but they make you scared to death to feed your child. Such a pain in the rear to have to feel like you need to consult a manual before every meal to make sure it's "safe" for your LO. And I totally agree with you Rochelle. Why do they act like it's safer to give your LO a greasy hamburger than some nice baked salmon?

our son has been eating fish since he started solids. and now he eats sushi too. he's 13 months old and has never had any problems with anything we've given him. i think the lists for foods to avoid till a certain age assume the worst situation, i.e. a child who has or is prone to allergies.