Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salmon

Default Salmon

DS had a FIT about dinnertime. He was fussy nursing - hungry but not interested. He had had 3/4 a banana.

I gave him salmon - what we were eating. HE LOVES IT!

This baby is simply growing up TOO FAST

Default Re: Salmon

Awesome! Salmon is great brain food - just make sure its wild!

make sure its wild!

i love salmon but have not introduced it to DS yet. How old is your LO? How did u prepare the salmon? How will I know if the ones we get here are wild? We dont get alot of them, their all imported and very expensive

He is 7 mo. It was lightly pan fried with olive oil. I shmushed it with a fork. He LIKES chunks! I'm very glad, makes life easier. He can already eat of my plate mostly! We had salmon, baked potato, green beans and canned pear for dessert.

Growing up to fast. It makes me so sad!

The packages should say "wild caught" or "farmed."

Smile Re: Salmon

I use tinned salmon, I make a salmon pasta bake with it. This is both my girls favourite foods. I switched from tinned tuna to salmon when I heard that tinned tuna hardly got any Omega 3 in it and that salmon got loads! It a great brain food!

If you buy salmon from Alaska it is guaranteed to be wild. The farming of salmon is illegal in Alaska, therefore all salmon caught in Alaska are wild.

Vanne is right - look for 'wild', 'wild caught', on the labels or ask your fishmonger (or the guy behind the seafood counter) where the salmon was caught. There are wild fish stock in Washington state too that are sold commercially but beware, salmon are also farmed in Washington state too. It pays to ask.

Ignore claims of 'organic' salmon. In this case, being 'organic' is not necessarily a good thing. It just means that the farmed salmon are fed organic corn maize and pumped full of organic drugs and dyes. Wild salmon are NEVER marketed as organic.

Farmed salmon often are marketed using decieving labels such as 'ocean caught' or 'Fresh from the Sea". They use this to try and fool (oftentimes successfully) consumers into purchasing it thinking it is wild. The truth of the matter is that farmed fish are ocean caught. They are raised in pens that sit in the ocean full of hundreds and thousands of salmon, and are pumped full of dyes and antibiotics to kill the diseases that run rampant in the pens due to overcrowding. Honestly, the Omega 3 content is the least of your worries. Fish farming is great in that it enables fish to be available to more people (there are not enough wild fish in our oceans to sustain the US population), however the way farmed fish are handled and pumped full of drugs and corn maize (an unnatural food source in the wild) has turned them into an 'unnatural' product. Wild salmon is the much better choice. I would rather not eat salmon at all than eat farmed salmon.

I have been marketing wild Alaska salmon (specifically Copper River salmon) here in Alaska for the past 4 years - so ask away if you have any more questions.

Rochelle

Thanks Rochelleann. I was just gonna come on here and ask the differences between the two. So great info. However, there is a problem, the salmon that we have here dont come in packages (Im sure I can find them if I really look) they are normally pre-cut into smaller pieces and sold in supermarkets. All they have on them are pricetags. The only packaged ones are the smoked ones or some with herbs that are imported from Scandinavia (which of course Im not getting for DS). However, I do believe that the fresh ones that we get here are from Scandinavia too. Are those safe?

Selina,

I assume you are referring to Norwegian salmon? Norway does have wild salmon stock, but there are also farm raised salmon exported around the world - this means you could be eating farmed OR wild. The only way to check is to ask the person behind the seafood counter whether the fish is farmed or wild. It is a valid question, and one that they should know the answer to. I know that when I used to live in Australia, the Lox I would eat (the thin strips of salmon delicately smoked and brined) was from Norway and was farmed.

Either way, farmed salmon is still relatively 'safe' to eat, but if you are trying to live an organic lifestyle where you know everything you are putting into your body, be aware that farmed salmon contain more than you probably bargained for with all of the pesticides, bacteria, and dyes.

HTH

Thats right they are Norwegian. Thanks again for the info. However, I really doubt the people behind the counter know.. they are mostly immegrant workers who would just answer "Yes" to every question you ask them.. "Are these wild?" "yes"; "are these farmed?" "yes".. You know what i mean..

Anyway, after reading your posts about farmed salmon, I think I will pass. Im not 100% into organics yet, we still dont get a lot of them here, but Im trying to feed DS only healthy stuff.