Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cousin having problems

Default Cousin having problems

My cousin delivered a gorgeous baby girl yesterday and she weighed 5lbs 4oz and 18in at birth, full term. Today she weighs 4lbs 12oz. Anyways, the nurses at the hospital are telling her she needs to be giving her baby formula because of her daughters low birth weight and the nurses really won't help her with breastfeeding. There is just 1 nurse wanting to help her but when the nurse's shift is over the other nurses aren't wanting to help her. I don't know if it because they have no idea about breastfeeding or what their problems are. I feel so bad for her because she really wants to breastfeed and with the lack of support she's trying to figure it out on her own when the other nurse leaves for the day. I want to go help her but all 3 kids of mine are sick, so I don't want to spread the germs around the new baby. Is there anything she can do to get more support from the nurses? I told her when she gets home to call someone from LLL or go to the local WIC office there and a woman who works there specializes in breastfeeding. She will be leaving the hospital sometime tomorrow afternoon. I gave her the numbers to LLL around here. I have never liked the hospital where she delivered, the nurses aren't very friendly, have no clue what they are doing and hardly anyone goes to have their babies there.

Default Re: Cousin having problems

I think you gave her the best answer. I would ask if the hospital has a lactation nurse... I know some hospitals don't "advertise" that they do...
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Can you call her room and be on the computer at the same time? You can read her articles to answer her questions.

Maybe she would like a care package of lanolin and other bfing "necessities"?

Smile Re: Cousin having problems

NO need to wait for discharge--call LLL NOW!! call WIC NOW!! Call a LC NOW!! They will gladly help her while she's still in the hospital.

and tell her to tell the nurses NO (I had the same problem with my 1st-only he was 8 1/2 lbs-but lost "too much" weight) I told the nurses to leave if they weren't going to help me.

Gather up all the breastfeeding books & pamphlets you can and have someone take them to her

Send her some lanolin & breast pads

Send her a pretty cup to drink water out of

Send her a pretty nursing top or gown

And tell her she CAN do this!!!'

I swear, I don't know WTH doctors today think baby's ate 100 years ago!!

I wish I was home to give you the exact weights but my little one was 5'4 and I know she dropped to less than that. Now at 4 months she is 12'7+. If her pediatrician is supportive, there should be NO reason to offer formula or a bottle. Also I declined the car seat / car bed test. They wanted to take her away for a couple HOURS to do a test to see if she could ride in a carseat or needed a car bed due to dropping below 5 pounds. I did not want her out of my sight and declined. It was the hospital policy but pediatrician supported my decision. You have a right to decide what happens to your babies. Is her husband on board? It is great if she has someone there supporting her decisions and encouraging her. My bigger one dropped a good bit too, but they bounce back. She should keep nursing often to get colostrum and stimulate milk production. Babies are born with reserves to get through that first few days! My 5'4 baby nursed EVERY hour the second night.

Thanks for all the advice. My 9 month old has been very ill so I haven't been able to update. She called LLL when she got out of the hospital and the woman helped her out a lot but just 2 days ago at a check up her baby was down to 4lbs 6oz and her doctor suggested supplementing. She told the doctor she was not going to supplement and when she got home she contacted LLL again and told the woman the situation and she was told if she had a lot of IV fluids ran during labor then her daughter is just losing the weight from all the IV fluids. She did make another house visit just to make sure her baby was still latching fine and she was. I told her a lot of babies don't regain their birth weights until 2 weeks of age, except for Kayleigh she lost a lot by 2 weeks.
    She is hanging in there. Her baby is 5 days old now. I did give her some Lanolin to help with her sore nipples and she says it helps a lot.
    Wet and poopy diapers are great she says. I still haven't been over to see the new baby due to my baby being very ill, so I can only be of help over the telephone.

So good to hear that she is getting the support she needs! I the pain goes away for her soon!

Yes- good for her listening to her body and doing what she thinks is good for baby. and do encourage her to keep in contact with the LLL she's been talking to - the nipple soreness should start to decrease soon...if it doesn't she may have a latch issue.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.