Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lactation in reaction to cow's milk

Default Lactation in reaction to cow's milk

Hi, got a weird question, and can't seem to find an answer to it anywhere online. I recently stopped eating/drinking any cow's milk products to see if that reduced my baby's colic. It seems to have made a difference, but it also seems to have reduced my milk levels - I went from engorgement to emptiness in a couple of days, and have been hard pressed to produce enough milk for my baby lately.

I mentioned this to my mother, who told me that my grandmother couldn't drink milk because it made her lactate, even after her children were grown and long ago weaned. This makes me think that my previous copious production of milk might have been a reaction of some kind to cow's milk. (I don't think it's added hormones in the milk, since I understand that's been outlawed here in Canada, and I don't think they were added when my 92 yr old grandmother was younger, but I could be wrong.)

Has anyone ever heard of this? I never ate many milk products before becoming pregnant, since I'm lactose intolerant, and when I think about it I realise that I started lactating during pregnancy when I started eating them again. I'm going to try eating some ice cream (plus lactase pills) and see if my production goes up, but I'm very curious to hear if anyone else has experienced this, or even heard of it.

Default Re: Lactation in reaction to cow's milk

Hi and welcome

I've never heard that cow's milk can increase your supply! I've done some online searching as well but could not find anything to indicate cow's milk to be a galactagogue! Could it be something else in your diet? Perhaps you take oatmeal with your milk?

Nope, and it's different sources of milk - cheese, yogurt... not straight milk, I can't stand the stuff. But anything made with/from milk seems to do the trick. I've had terrible engorgement (plus a really colicky baby) after eating most of a bag of white cheddar popcorn, but didn't put the two together until now!

Wow, if so you are quite lucky. How great is that? When your supply is down just have something with dairy in it! I'm going to give it a try just to experiment a bit. And see if my supply goes up after having dairy!

I never noticed a connection with supply and dairy. Just a fussier baby, and before I cut back on dairy she would vomit if I had over done it with milk products. But lately I have days where I think there is a lack of milk, and days where we have ample. I attribute it to growth spurts and teething and wanting the breast more. But now I read this and I am really wondering!?
    JEN
    Happy Wife of 20 years to J~
    Mommy to DD E~ 9/22/04 BF 21 months
    Mommy to DD H~ 7/2/07 BF 27 months CD'd from 10 mos on!
    Mommy to DD A~ 7-14-10 All cloth, and Potty Trained at 2 1/2. Still Nursing!
    I grow an organic garden, homeschool, and really feel blessed to be a SAHM!

While I have heard anecdotally of a few mothers who have made a correlation between oversupply (real or perceived--it's hard to tell) and dairy products, I know of no research that has been done on the subject. Oversupply and dairy allergies can cause similar symptoms in babies, but that is not really what you are asking, is it? I wish I had something more to tell you.

Hey, if eating dairy when you feel your supply is low seems to work, and doesn't cause problems for your baby, it sounds like you've found something that works for you. Pretty cool .

Tiana

When you cut the dairy, did you replace the calories you were taking in with dairy? Or did you did your total caloric intake drop dramaticly?

Same caloric intake, same intake of water/liquids.

Continuing with the experiment, I had two generous servings of dairy yesterday, and was a bit engorged today. I think I'll stick to one a day and see if my levels stay steady...

Quote Originally Posted by julesfdw View Post
    Same caloric intake, same intake of water/liquids.

Continuing with the experiment, I had two generous servings of dairy yesterday, and was a bit engorged today. I think I'll stick to one a day and see if my levels stay steady...
    Good for you! If it works why not hey?