Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Not Enough Milk And Lo Won't Stay Latched On

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    66

    Smile Not Enough Milk And Lo Won't Stay Latched On

    I EXCLUSIVELY BF ALL WEEK AND THEN PUMP SAT AND SUN NIGHTS WHEN I WORK. I HAVE NOTICED A DECREASE IN SUPPLY AND MY LO NURSES AND THEN SHE WON'T STAY LATCHED ON SHE RIPS AND PULLS OFF OF ME THEN LATCHES BACK ON AND THEN PULLS OFF AGAIN AND REPEATS THIS AS LONG AS I LET HER. I HAVE A THREE STRIKES YOUR DONE RULE. THE THIRD TIME SHE DOES IT I STOP NURSING BECAUSE IT HURTS SO BAD. SHE IS 5MONTHS OLD AND I WANT TO CONTINUE TO BREASTFEED HOW CAN I INCREASE MY MILK PRODUCTION IF SHE WON'T STAY ON THE BREAST AND IF WHAT SHE IS DOING BY PULLING OFF AND REATTACHING IS NATURE'S WAY THEN WHAT CAN I DO SO IT DOESN'T HURT THAT MUCH?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Not Enough Milk And Lo Won't Stay Latched On

    my dd does the same thing... always has. My nipples are SUPPER streachy now, and acutally USED to it!!! LOL... what I did though, for a bit, was to mannually express till I felt like my milk had let down... then she stayed on... I think it was the bottles... their instantanious... That's still how Sara gets my milk to let down... I'm just used to it now! The Breast Buddies gel pads cold really helped for a while there...
    Good luck!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,437

    Default Re: Not Enough Milk And Lo Won't Stay Latched On

    Hi ,

    It sounds to me like your baby might actually be teething. These kinds of behaviors are common in babies that are working on teeth. You might try offering a chilled teether to sooth baby's gums for a few minutes before you offer the breast to see if that helps. It might also help to offer a teether when you remove baby from the breast. Say something like, "Mommy's nipples are not chew toys! You may chew on this instead."

    Is there anything else going that makes you think that your milk supply is decreasing?

    Hang in there,

    Tiana

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    66

    Smile Re: Not Enough Milk And Lo Won't Stay Latched On

    Quote Originally Posted by LLLTiana View Post
    Hi ,

    It sounds to me like your baby might actually be teething. These kinds of behaviors are common in babies that are working on teeth. You might try offering a chilled teether to sooth baby's gums for a few minutes before you offer the breast to see if that helps. It might also help to offer a teether when you remove baby from the breast. Say something like, "Mommy's nipples are not chew toys! You may chew on this instead."

    Is there anything else going that makes you think that your milk supply is decreasing?

    Hang in there,

    Tiana
    I KNOW MY SUPPLY HAS DECREASED BECAUSE MY LO USUALLY ONLY NURSES FROM ONE SIDE EVERY 4 HRS AND USUALLY MY BREASTS FEEL REALLY FULL AFTER A COUPLE HOURS AND NOW THEY NEVER FEEL FULL THEY ALWAYS FEEL VERY VERY SOFT AND EMPTY. THIS ONLY STARTED A FEW DAYS AGO. MY LO NURSES FROM BOTH SIDES NOW AND SOMETIMES STILL DOESN'T SEEM CONTENT. THAT IS WHEN SHE PULLS ON MY NIPPLES. SHE IS DEFINITELY TEETHING AND I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH THE PULLING AND CHEWING OF MY NIPPLES FOR A WHILE BUT THIS IS DIFFERENT THIS IS AFTER I HAVE HAD A LET DOWN AND SHE HAS NURSED IT SEEMS LIKE TO ME THAT SHE IS LOOKING FOR MORE SHE GETS FRUSTRATED I HAVE SUPPLEMENTED WITH EBM THAT I HAD FROZEN AND SHE TAKES IT RIGHT AWAY WHICH MAKES ME BELIEVE THAT SHE WAS STILL HUNGRY.I ASSUMED THAT HER PULLING OFF AND LATCHING ON AGAIN WAS TO TRY AND MAKE THE LET DOWN HAPPEN AGAIN BUT IT DOESN'T HAPPEN. I HAVE LET HER PULL OFF AND LATCH ON AGAIN FOR 5 MINUTES AND NO LET DOWN HAPPENS SO NOW I RESTRICT HER TO THE THREE STRIKE RULE. IF SHE SEEMS CONTENT I WON'T GIVE HER A BOTTLE I JUST WIND UP NURSING HER MORE FREQUENTLY.
    I HAVE ONLY GIVEN HER A BOTTLE 2 OR 3 TIMES IN A FEW DAYS BECAUSE I WANT TO KEEP NURSING AND I KNOW THAT IS THE ONLY WAY TO INCREASE MY SUPPLY. I'M PRETTY SURE LACK OF SLEEP IS WHY MY SUPPLY WENT DOWN IN THE FIRST PLACE I WORK 7PM-730AM ON SAT AND SUN. I USUALLY DON'T GET ANY SLEEP SOMETIMES I GET 0-2HRS OF SLEEP IN A 24 PERIOD OR THIS PAST WEEKEND FROM SAT AM TO MON 9PM I HAD ONLY SLEPT A TOTAL OF 8HRS ALL BROKEN UP. YES ONLY 8 HRS I DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW I AM FUNCTIONING.I FEEL LIKE IT IS A HORRIBLE CYCLE I AM IN THOUGH I DON'T SLEEP WELL BECAUSE I NURSE MY LO AND THEN MY MILK SUPPLY SEEMS TO BE DIMINISHING SO I HAVE TO NURSE ALL THE TIME EVEN AT NIGHT NOW SO I DON'T GET ANY SLEEP. I DON'T KNOW HOW I AM EVER GOING TO FIX THIS. I HAVE BEEN WONDERING ABOUT STOPPING BREASTFEEDING BUT I DON'T THINK I REALLY WANT TO, BUT I CAN'T KEEP GOING LIKE THIS. SOON I AM GOING TO WIND UP REALLY RUN-DOWN AND SICK. THE PAST 2 NIGHTS I HAVE GIVEN HER A BOTTLE OF EBM FROM MY FROZEN STASH SO THAT SHE WILL BE FULL BEFORE BED AND WILL SLEEP LONGER SO I CAN GET 4HRS OF STRAIGHT SLEEP BUT THIS ISN'T HELPING INCREASE MY MILK SUPPLY IS IT? SEE A HORRIBLE CYCLE. SORRY THIS IS SO LONG I JUST AM SO BESIDE MYSELF RIGHT NOW WONDERING WHAT TO DO. OK SO MY QUESTIONS ARE:
    1) HOW DO I GET SLEEP AND INCREASE MY MILK SUPPLY?
    2) IF I HAVE ALREADY NURSED MY LO AND SHE ISN'T CONTENT DO I GIVE HER A BOTTLE OR TRY AND HOLD HER OFF AND NURSE AGAIN?
    3)HOW OFTEN SHOULD I BE NURSING HER STILL BY DEMAND OR TRY EVERY HR OR SO DURING THE DAY TO INCREASE MY SUPPLY?
    THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    50

    Default Re: Not Enough Milk And Lo Won't Stay Latched On

    that's a tough schedule! do you nurse while sleeping? it's the only way i get any sleep at all sometimes- otherwise would be up a lot with my lo.

    hang in there!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: Not Enough Milk And Lo Won't Stay Latched On

    Hey! Good to read that there's someone in the same situation as me! Except I'm in a deeper **** because I've emptied my frozen stash!! My care giver has used the last frozen EBM today

    By the way, my girl is 7mth old. I work during the weekdays from 8am to 7pm.

    I've been putting in an extra pumping session this week but its like working against gravity, in fact, not only did my milk supply not increased, I find it DECREASING!

    I suspect its also the lack of sleep. It dosen't help that I have to work from home at night to meet deadlines...I've told myself many times that I'll just have an early night & get to work early to get things done, but it never happen, I just couldn't drag myself out of the bed in the morning.

    It helps that I co-sleep with my LO so I just feed her while I'm half asleep.

    I intend to start pumping during the weekends, when I don't have to be at work. I guess I have to pump right after a feed. There wouldn't be much but is the way to increase milk flow- I believe.

    Would also try to pump on the other side while I feed, to make use of the let-down. But of course that would mean that I hv to feed my LO very often as the supply from 1 side isn't that sufficient.

    Wish me luck, or whatever. I'm so close to driving to the supermarket to buy a tin of formula for emergency but dropped the idea for fear of dependency on formula. I'll be travelling with my LO in 2mths time & is just way too lazy for formula & all that sterilization.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    sleepless in ohio
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: Not Enough Milk And Lo Won't Stay Latched On

    I didn't read through all the posts completely, but I wanted to mention that 1) maybe your LO isn't getting the milk fast enough (ie Your let down might be "slow" for your LO's liking). You might want to hand express/massage a little bit before she latches on.

    Also, just because your breasts are soft/don't feel full doesn't mean your supply has dropped. The exact same thing happened to me, and most BF'ing moms I know, and it's just your body adjusting. FWIW, it happened to me when DD was about the same age as yours.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: Not Enough Milk And Lo Won't Stay Latched On

    Thanks For All Your Help I Do Co-sleep With My Lo That Is The Only Way I Get Sleep At All, Unfortunately My Lo Nurses Very Fast Within 6 Minutes She Is Done Nursing And It Feels Like My Breast Is Empty. I Have Been On Night Shift For 5yrs And I Am So Used To Broken Up Sleep That I Usually Have A Hard Time Going Back To Sleep Once Woken Up. My Lo Usually Sleeps Great I Just Can't Go Back To Sleep I Feel Very Awake Even Though I Know I Am Very Tired. I Do Think My Supply Is Getting Better.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,866

    Default Re: Not Enough Milk And Lo Won't Stay Latched On

    Quote Originally Posted by REN5/3/07 View Post
    I EXCLUSIVELY BF ALL WEEK AND THEN PUMP SAT AND SUN NIGHTS WHEN I WORK. I HAVE NOTICED A DECREASE IN SUPPLY AND MY LO NURSES AND THEN SHE WON'T STAY LATCHED ON SHE RIPS AND PULLS OFF OF ME THEN LATCHES BACK ON AND THEN PULLS OFF AGAIN AND REPEATS THIS AS LONG AS I LET HER. I HAVE A THREE STRIKES YOUR DONE RULE. THE THIRD TIME SHE DOES IT I STOP NURSING BECAUSE IT HURTS SO BAD. SHE IS 5MONTHS OLD AND I WANT TO CONTINUE TO BREASTFEED HOW CAN I INCREASE MY MILK PRODUCTION IF SHE WON'T STAY ON THE BREAST AND IF WHAT SHE IS DOING BY PULLING OFF AND REATTACHING IS NATURE'S WAY THEN WHAT CAN I DO SO IT DOESN'T HURT THAT MUCH?
    Pulling off isn't necessarily a sign of lowered production. Most often, it's related to distractablity, which is VERY common in the 5 month old.
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ible-baby.html

    Quote Originally Posted by REN5/3/07 View Post
    I KNOW MY SUPPLY HAS DECREASED BECAUSE MY LO USUALLY ONLY NURSES FROM ONE SIDE EVERY 4 HRS AND USUALLY MY BREASTS FEEL REALLY FULL AFTER A COUPLE HOURS AND NOW THEY NEVER FEEL FULL THEY ALWAYS FEEL VERY VERY SOFT AND EMPTY. THIS ONLY STARTED A FEW DAYS AGO.
    That doesn't mean your production is lower at all! Here's some information:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/breast-fullness.html

    Quote Originally Posted by REN5/3/07 View Post
    MY LO NURSES FROM BOTH SIDES NOW AND SOMETIMES STILL DOESN'T SEEM CONTENT. THAT IS WHEN SHE PULLS ON MY NIPPLES. SHE IS DEFINITELY TEETHING AND I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH THE PULLING AND CHEWING OF MY NIPPLES FOR A WHILE BUT THIS IS DIFFERENT THIS IS AFTER I HAVE HAD A LET DOWN AND SHE HAS NURSED IT SEEMS LIKE TO ME THAT SHE IS LOOKING FOR MORE
    What happens when you put her right back on the breast? When you switch sides?

    Quote Originally Posted by REN5/3/07 View Post
    SHE GETS FRUSTRATED I HAVE SUPPLEMENTED WITH EBM THAT I HAD FROZEN AND SHE TAKES IT RIGHT AWAY WHICH MAKES ME BELIEVE THAT SHE WAS STILL HUNGRY.
    That doesn't really mean anything. Babies will take a bottle, even if they aren't hungry.

    Quote Originally Posted by REN5/3/07 View Post
    I ASSUMED THAT HER PULLING OFF AND LATCHING ON AGAIN WAS TO TRY AND MAKE THE LET DOWN HAPPEN AGAIN BUT IT DOESN'T HAPPEN. I HAVE LET HER PULL OFF AND LATCH ON AGAIN FOR 5 MINUTES AND NO LET DOWN HAPPENS SO NOW I RESTRICT HER TO THE THREE STRIKE RULE. IF SHE SEEMS CONTENT I WON'T GIVE HER A BOTTLE I JUST WIND UP NURSING HER MORE FREQUENTLY.
    Waiting a few minutes, taking the time to calm baby and yourself, before latching back on can help. If she pulls off and seems frustrated at the flow, you could coax her back to the breast and use breast compressions to keep the flow going. Here's a how-to page:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

    Quote Originally Posted by REN5/3/07 View Post
    I HAVE ONLY GIVEN HER A BOTTLE 2 OR 3 TIMES IN A FEW DAYS BECAUSE I WANT TO KEEP NURSING AND I KNOW THAT IS THE ONLY WAY TO INCREASE MY SUPPLY.
    Right!

    My best suggestion is to avoid supplements UNLESS you know for sure that your baby isn't getting enough. Here's how to tell:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html

    Quote Originally Posted by REN5/3/07 View Post
    I'M PRETTY SURE LACK OF SLEEP IS WHY MY SUPPLY WENT DOWN IN THE FIRST PLACE I WORK 7PM-730AM ON SAT AND SUN. I USUALLY DON'T GET ANY SLEEP SOMETIMES I GET 0-2HRS OF SLEEP IN A 24 PERIOD OR THIS PAST WEEKEND FROM SAT AM TO MON 9PM I HAD ONLY SLEPT A TOTAL OF 8HRS ALL BROKEN UP. YES ONLY 8 HRS I DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW I AM FUNCTIONING.I FEEL LIKE IT IS A HORRIBLE CYCLE I AM IN THOUGH I DON'T SLEEP WELL BECAUSE I NURSE MY LO AND THEN MY MILK SUPPLY SEEMS TO BE DIMINISHING SO I HAVE TO NURSE ALL THE TIME EVEN AT NIGHT NOW SO I DON'T GET ANY SLEEP. I DON'T KNOW HOW I AM EVER GOING TO FIX THIS.


    Quote Originally Posted by REN5/3/07 View Post
    I HAVE BEEN WONDERING ABOUT STOPPING BREASTFEEDING BUT I DON'T THINK I REALLY WANT TO, BUT I CAN'T KEEP GOING LIKE THIS. SOON I AM GOING TO WIND UP REALLY RUN-DOWN AND SICK. THE PAST 2 NIGHTS I HAVE GIVEN HER A BOTTLE OF EBM FROM MY FROZEN STASH SO THAT SHE WILL BE FULL BEFORE BED AND WILL SLEEP LONGER SO I CAN GET 4HRS OF STRAIGHT SLEEP BUT THIS ISN'T HELPING INCREASE MY MILK SUPPLY IS IT? SEE A HORRIBLE CYCLE. SORRY THIS IS SO LONG I JUST AM SO BESIDE MYSELF RIGHT NOW WONDERING WHAT TO DO.
    Did that one bottle really help her sleep longer? Do you have any help at all?


    Quote Originally Posted by REN5/3/07 View Post
    1) HOW DO I GET SLEEP AND INCREASE MY MILK SUPPLY?
    Nurse, nurse, nurse. Try to cut down on distractions so hopefully your baby will nurse more during the daytime hours.

    Can you tell us a little bit about your nighttime routine? What does a night look like for you?

    Quote Originally Posted by REN5/3/07 View Post
    2) IF I HAVE ALREADY NURSED MY LO AND SHE ISN'T CONTENT DO I GIVE HER A BOTTLE OR TRY AND HOLD HER OFF AND NURSE AGAIN?
    Try to nurse again if at all possible. See the info I posted for you above.

    Quote Originally Posted by REN5/3/07 View Post
    3)HOW OFTEN SHOULD I BE NURSING HER STILL BY DEMAND OR TRY EVERY HR OR SO DURING THE DAY TO INCREASE MY SUPPLY?
    How frequently is she nursing now?

    Quote Originally Posted by REN5/3/07 View Post
    Thanks For All Your Help I Do Co-sleep With My Lo That Is The Only Way I Get Sleep At All, Unfortunately My Lo Nurses Very Fast Within 6 Minutes She Is Done Nursing And It Feels Like My Breast Is Empty.
    It's NORMAL for your baby to be able to empty your breast so quickly. Babies can take in a full feeding in about 5 minutes. Once she is finished nursing, does she go back to sleep? Does she stay latched on and comfort nurse?

    Quote Originally Posted by REN5/3/07 View Post
    I Have Been On Night Shift For 5yrs And I Am So Used To Broken Up Sleep That I Usually Have A Hard Time Going Back To Sleep Once Woken Up. My Lo Usually Sleeps Great I Just Can't Go Back To Sleep I Feel Very Awake Even Though I Know I Am Very Tired. I Do Think My Supply Is Getting Better.


    Could you try relaxation techniques? Do you have a television in your bedroom?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: Not Enough Milk And Lo Won't Stay Latched On

    To Home Executive I Really Appreciate Your Time And Information For Me. I Did Just Keep Nursing And Nursing And I Think Now Looking Back I Was Sooo Sleep Deprived That I Don;t Think My Milk Supply Was As Bad As I Thought I Thought I Had Next To None. My Lo Is Doing Very Well And I Think My Milk Supply Did Diminish A Little, But I Think It Increased A Little Since. My Lo Is Back To Her Usual Self Of Nursing On One Side And Seeming Content And Happy And Predictable Again. I Am Getting Much More Sleep. I Realized I Have To Ask For More Help From My Husband In Order To Better Care For Me And My Lo. I Was Never Good About Having A Routine Because Before My Lo I Worked All Different Days Of The Week 12hr Night Shifts And I Never Had A Set Schedule At All But I Am Trying To Instill A Routine For My Lo. I Thnk It Will Be Better For Her. I Was Definitely Having A Meltdown Before But I Feel Normal Again And Calm And Confident That I Can Keep Breastfeeding And That I Want To. It Is Really Great That This Website Exists And So Many People Are Willing To Help I Sincerely Thank Everyone For Their Support.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •