Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not eating

Default not eating

I started my son on solids around 4 months old. He is now 7 months old. He was eating a ton for awhile...like 9 tablespoons 3 times a day. Now, all of a sudden, he has almost no interest in eating solids. He'll eat little bites of table food now and then, but has refused pureed food for the last few days. If he's not ready for solids, fine, but I don't understand why he was eating so good for so long and then just stopped. He's only in the 25th percentile for weight, so i don't want him to loose any weight. Also, I heard that because he is bfing, he needs to have a certain amount of cereal everyday for the iron. I don't know what to do to get him to eat it.
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)

Default Re: not eating

Could he be teething? My son went from 8-12oz of solids a day to less than 2 oz - then I found out he was teething. It lasted a few days. He was 7mo.

Well first of all they don't "need" cereal simply because they're breastfeeding. Some docs will tell you they do because of iron, but if baby has been checked and isn't deficient, there's no need. Even when they are deficient - there are things that you can do and not have to use cereal.

Having said that some babies do wax and wane in their interest of soilds for many reasons (as the PP said - teething is one of those causes). Also - he may be telling you he's ready for more chunky foods...

Here's a link that may be helpful in regard to starting on solids (whole foods) and here's another (LLL page full of resources).

Here's one that talks about the iron issue
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I actually made a post the other day about the very same subject. Almost identical situation! It is a little comforting to know that someone else is going thru it. Everyone (relatives, other mothers, LLL phone support, the pediatrician) has said not to worry, it is a temporary phase, and under 12 mos old the solid food isn't really a necessary part of the diet anyway.

I have been given reasons ranging from teeth, to bellyache from some food disagreeing, to separation anxiety and wanting more boob instead of food, to psychological angst over an upcoming milestone...

... and the best one of all, from the doctor, no less...

"Sometimes babies change up their routines for no good reason whatsoever."

My concern was when my son was good and ready to start accepting his solids again, would we be starting over or would he be having the same level of interest as before?

Don't you wish babies came with a manual?

Eve

Quote Originally Posted by mylittleredhead07 View Post
    I actually made a post the other day about the very same subject. Almost identical situation! It is a little comforting to know that someone else is going thru it. Everyone (relatives, other mothers, LLL phone support, the pediatrician) has said not to worry, it is a temporary phase, and under 12 mos old the solid food isn't really a necessary part of the diet anyway.

I have been given reasons ranging from teeth, to bellyache from some food disagreeing, to separation anxiety and wanting more boob instead of food, to psychological angst over an upcoming milestone...

... and the best one of all, from the doctor, no less...

"Sometimes babies change up their routines for no good reason whatsoever."

My concern was when my son was good and ready to start accepting his solids again, would we be starting over or would he be having the same level of interest as before?

Don't you wish babies came with a manual?

Eve

i was going to say the same things!! These babies like to change their minds at the drop of a hat!

As far as the weight goes, many babies stop gaining as quickly after six months or so as they become more active. My son was always in the 75th percentile or higher, but as he has been more mobile, he is now in the 50th. Is there a reason you are concerned about the weight gain? have you been having issues with that in the past? As long as he is still nursing, he is still getting the neccessary calories on top of the solids he gets. My son usually gets one "solid" meal a day, and still nurses most of the day. He snacks here and there, but he really doesnt eat that much (he is almost 10 months) So I wouldnt worry! He'll be back to his old ways, I am sure!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Quote Originally Posted by selina21 View Post
    Could he be teething? My son went from 8-12oz of solids a day to less than 2 oz - then I found out he was teething. It lasted a few days. He was 7mo.
    I agree, my daughter always refuses to eat when she's teething.

Does he have any teething symptoms?